Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
*Spolers* Bunch of Hobbit Clips...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Joe20
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 7:59am

Post #26 of 62 (834 views)
Shortcut
6 clips, each about 40 seconds to 1:15 seconds long. [In reply to] Can't Post

The link just goes to a youtube page.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 8:06am

Post #27 of 62 (803 views)
Shortcut
Thank you (and Joe20) [In reply to] Can't Post

I might pass. With 9 days to go, I must resist.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 8:06am

Post #28 of 62 (829 views)
Shortcut
*fingers crossed* [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling this may be the 'fun' action scene for the last act of the movie, and the following action scene with the wargs will be more tense (still with a lot of gags and visual flare of course).

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Dec 4 2012, 8:07am)

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 8:16am

Post #29 of 62 (785 views)
Shortcut
no. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know why people immediately start comparing this to the Moria sequence of LOTR, didn't we all agree we shouldn't be doing that in the first place?

I never agreed on that Wink
It's simply the first thing that pops into mind. Gandalf shouting orders, a group of people running over bridges, similar music, it's impossible to not see the connection.

I get that the Hobbit is a film on it's own, but acting like LotR has nothing to do with it, or Peter Jackson didn't make that trilogy first, seems nonsense to me.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 9:01am

Post #30 of 62 (736 views)
Shortcut
yeesh for me too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Martin Freeman looks great.

But that Goblin Town sequence... Yeesh.

Just my opinion:

The little bits of action I've seen have been the parts that I've like the least. And that seems to be the bit that all the negative reviews are praising.

The warg attack still looks weird even in HD. I'm not going to be happy if this is a result of the new methods of filming.

The Goblin town sequence just seems to be a bunch of over the top action.

Honestly, I was reminded of a particular scene from King Kong that I really didn't like when I saw these two parts. The scene I'm talking about is the brontosaurus stampede. It seemed like a bunch of over the top CGI green-screen action and by the end of it every character was seemingly unscathed.

I really hope these are the only moments of action that are like this. The warg scene wouldn't be bad if it didn't look weird. But that Goblin Town scene just did not put a good taste in my mouth.

Sorry to be so negative guys. I really LOVED everything else that I saw though!

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 9:03am

Post #31 of 62 (765 views)
Shortcut
hahahahah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This looks more like the brontosaurus stampede in King Kong than, say, the battle of Amon Hen in FoTR. I'm not getting a sense of danger of suspense here. It's just one flashy stunt-piece after another.

I didn't even see this post until just now. Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way! Well, honestly, I'm a bit upset that any of use felt this way.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 10:10am

Post #32 of 62 (652 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez! Me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it's taking all my will to refrain from clicking those links and ruining my experience. Gah!

Mussst... not... give... in... Pirate

(This post was edited by Earl on Dec 4 2012, 10:10am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 10:54am

Post #33 of 62 (618 views)
Shortcut
I think I might be the only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Who loved every single one of those clips. It's great if you ask me. I even like the OTT action sequence of goblin town. I think it helps that I decided a long time ago was that it would not be LOTR. It feels like the absolutely right atmosphere of the movie.

Especially liked the clip of Fili and Kili arriving. Freeman is top notch as Bilbo and I'm very much liking the characterization of some of the dwarves.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 11:05am

Post #34 of 62 (596 views)
Shortcut
I like what I see of Goblin Town too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing Dwalin acting like a badass and the ropes twirling around etc - it definitely gave me a chuckle not to mention the ladder trick lol! ;)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 11:23am

Post #35 of 62 (588 views)
Shortcut
Just what is was expecting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, i feel that the goblin town scene is exactly how 'The Hobbit' action scenes should be (at least for AUJ). Since this is only the first film, we should be expecting the OTT action pieces as this isn't LOTR. The only criticism from me,"first person Gandalf does not belong in the hobbit" :P

Macfeast
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 12:05pm

Post #36 of 62 (569 views)
Shortcut
The Goblin-town segment. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a fan of certain parts of it, sad to say, the misplaced Wilhelm-scream, Kíli deflecting arrows with his sword (really?), and other such overexaggerated, over-the-top moments alike. Sure, the Hobbit has a much more light-hearted tone to it (a tone which I am very much looking forward to experiencing), but I don't think that necessitates going to such extremes with the battles; It just takes away from the supposed danger of the situation, and makes it hard to take it serious, imo.
Also, I never really got a sense of what was actually going on with the characters; One second, they were all running together, the next, they were somehow separated, yet it was never clear exactly how that happened.

That's as far as my criticism goes though, and I really can't stress just how much I enjoyed the rest of the clips (well, apart from the Riddles in the Dark, which I decided not to watch; I'm mustering all my willpower to save that one for the cinema); Heck, even the Goblin-town segment, with it's faults, filled me with delight, seeing Gandalf for real again, seeing the dwarves in action, and hearing Shore's tunes.
My favorite is the arrival of the dwarves at Bag End, so far it feels like they got the Unexpected Party exactly right. I also squealed with glee when I recognised Thorin's last line in the warg-segment; "What in Durin's name is going on?".

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 12:07pm

Post #37 of 62 (497 views)
Shortcut
I loved them too, Very much precious .// [In reply to] Can't Post

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 12:29pm

Post #38 of 62 (542 views)
Shortcut
I watched the Golbintown scene, [In reply to] Can't Post

AND IT WAS AMAZING!
Just how I imagine dwarves to fight! Tongue
This will be an amazing movie, for sure!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

utku
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 1:15pm

Post #39 of 62 (487 views)
Shortcut
I LOVED Goblin Town! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is superb, I don't know what's wrong with it. It's not any more cheesier than Legolas with Oliphant, which is now considered as classic, even though we all cringe watching it. Smile

And yes, I think it's incredible that dwarves fight like that. I mean they build magnificent establishments under the mountains, so it's only fitting that they are good engineers during the fight. Laugh

Dlanor da Great
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 1:20pm

Post #40 of 62 (484 views)
Shortcut
Yeesh?.... Goblin Town sequence. That was my favorite clip :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 1:48pm

Post #41 of 62 (472 views)
Shortcut
The clip with the wargs is wonderful. The Wargs look SOOO much more appropriate. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very much like giant evil wolves bordering very closely on looking like werewolves. I like that scene ALOT! That is the kind of expansion I don't mind. It makes sense, and it doesn't contradict the text, even if it isn't an event that happens in the text. It doesn't go back and re-edit anything, and it fits in with the back knowledge that Sauron would have tried to hinder an attempt on Erebor, and it also mirrors very closely what DID happen to Thrain. Too bad Thrain didn't have any Wizards looking after him until it was too late. Unsure

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Joe20
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 1:58pm

Post #42 of 62 (446 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Thrain [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we know if the Gandalf vs Thrain scene from trailer 1 has made it into AUJ?

Macfeast
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 1:59pm

Post #43 of 62 (440 views)
Shortcut
Huh. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always been a little vary about the idea of wargs tracking the company right from the start, but now that you bring up how well it mirrors Thráin's journey, something which I had not previously considered, I suddenly feel excited about it. Kudos! Smile

Agree on the design of the wargs, they look great.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Dec 4 2012, 2:00pm)

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 2:04pm

Post #44 of 62 (420 views)
Shortcut
Hehehe [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not a fan of certain parts of it, sad to say, the misplaced Wilhelm-scream, Kíli deflecting arrows with his sword (really?), and other such overexaggerated, over-the-top moments alike. Sure, the Hobbit has a much more light-hearted tone to it (a tone which I am very much looking forward to experiencing), but I don't think that necessitates going to such extremes with the battles; It just takes away from the supposed danger of the situation, and makes it hard to take it serious, imo.
Also, I never really got a sense of what was actually going on with the characters; One second, they were all running together, the next, they were somehow separated, yet it was never clear exactly how that happened.

That's as far as my criticism goes though, and I really can't stress just how much I enjoyed the rest of the clips (well, apart from the Riddles in the Dark, which I decided not to watch; I'm mustering all my willpower to save that one for the cinema); Heck, even the Goblin-town segment, with it's faults, filled me with delight, seeing Gandalf for real again, seeing the dwarves in action, and hearing Shore's tunes.
My favorite is the arrival of the dwarves at Bag End, so far it feels like they got the Unexpected Party exactly right. I also squealed with glee when I recognised Thorin's last line in the warg-segment; "What in Durin's name is going on?".

I liked the sequence as this is not LOTR but fits the tone of the Hobbit. Remember the same sequence from the animated Hobbit;)

What was a bit jarring though was the Wilhelm scream of the falling Goblin that instantly reminded me of the ROTJ Sarlacc pit sequence where one of Jabbas goons falls into the pit screaming which is followed by Luke dodging laser bolts, and here we have Kili dodging arrows...

Here is the complete Sarlacc sequence for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AELImg_jnBA

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 2:05pm

Post #45 of 62 (411 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so. Radagast is here, and I am thinking this is an earlier attack. [In reply to] Can't Post

before Rivendell. This may be leading to the entrance of Elrond and his riders (if anyone of them is blonde and doesn't die, its Glorfindel lol. . . unless the same character buys it in the next films, in which case, it obvioiusly wasn't him. lolol)

In Reply To
I have a feeling this may be the 'fun' action scene for the last act of the movie, and the following action scene with the wargs will be more tense (still with a lot of gags and visual flare of course).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 2:09pm

Post #46 of 62 (425 views)
Shortcut
It was The Balrog's sorcery in Moria. [In reply to] Can't Post

making those damned orcs stronger and more sturdy than they should have beenWink. Here the dwarves have a Wizard, and there are just a bunch of goblin/orcs with no Maia Demon to bolster them. lol

In Reply To
I was going to say the sequence was 'so Moria', but while it does very much refer to it (chanting, a fellowship running through the dark) these guys seem a bit overpowerful. In Moria we saw a desperate fellowship that had a hard time getting past loads of monsters, but the action here is very over the top (especially the goblins on the swinging lines that instead wrap around the falling bridge).
But we'll see how it plays out within the rest of the film. It's less serious after all.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 2:15pm

Post #47 of 62 (393 views)
Shortcut
I was with you at first, but when I considered it (P.S. Thanks for the shares Joe, and I don't know if the Thrain scene is in) [In reply to] Can't Post

it is such a perfect mirror of what happened to Thrain, driven by evil birds (and shall we assume bats) and wargs, and other evil beasts, haunted and hunted,, driven ever towards Mirkwood. Sauron had ways of finding things out, and it is not implausible that he would have treated Thorin to a similar fate, had not there been a Wizard watching over him. . . and a hobbit with a certain Ring. . . and, in this version, Wood Elves at the end of the spider run.

In Reply To
I have always been a little vary about the idea of wargs tracking the company right from the start, but now that you bring up how well it mirrors Thráin's journey, something which I had not previously considered, I suddenly feel excited about it. Kudos! Smile

Agree on the design of the wargs, they look great.

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 3:37pm

Post #48 of 62 (327 views)
Shortcut
Since the film is bookended by Bilbo telling the story... [In reply to] Can't Post

...maybe Bilbo is just exaggerating what happened? Good explanation if I may say so myself Wink

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 4:07pm

Post #49 of 62 (347 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't disagree more with the folks who don't like the Goblin Town sequence [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, that was grand fun, Wilhelm scream and all, and the music was fantastic.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 4:11pm

Post #50 of 62 (305 views)
Shortcut
I've never been a fan of this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

The framing device shouldn't be used to exaggerate anything.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.