Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
Potential "visual" side effects?

Eruonen
Sailing Master

Dec 3 2012, 3:11pm

Post #1 of 12 (1175 views)
Shortcut
Potential "visual" side effects? Can't Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ches-queasiness.html

'Hobbit film wizardry left us feeling sickí: Cinema-goers complain camera speeds and 3D effects caused headaches and queasiness

By Becky Evans

PUBLISHED: 05:27 EST, 2 December 2012

I think this can happen with any 3D film if you are susceptible. It actually should decrease those symptoms per the article.

Finrod
Rigger

Dec 3 2012, 3:23pm

Post #2 of 12 (542 views)
Shortcut
Give us this day our daily fail [In reply to] Can't Post

Why people keep posting things from the Daily Fail is beyond me. Itís like they donít realize itís a joke. Whatís next, the National Enquirer? Even the Onion is higher quality.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Eruonen
Sailing Master

Dec 3 2012, 3:33pm

Post #3 of 12 (501 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps if you read the article you would hold your commentary. [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Sunday Times reported...."
"Another fan tweeted..."
"The Sunday Times said..."

The question is the potential, though probably small, of various symptoms from the new technology. My point was that some small % of people are always more sensitive....be it seizures from video games to headaches from sound, light, 3D etc.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 3 2012, 3:34pm)

dormouse
First Mate

Dec 3 2012, 4:04pm

Post #4 of 12 (429 views)
Shortcut
It can [In reply to] Can't Post

Ordinary 3D makes me feel ill - so much so that to date I've only managed to sit through one 3D film and didn't care much for the 3D - I enjoy it more in 2D on DVD. For that reason I mean to see the Hobbit for the first time in 2D, just to enjoy the story.

But I will also try and see it at the high frame rate when I get the chance because I've heard so much about it - I'll report back on whether it's more or less uncomfortable

DanielLB
Captain

Dec 3 2012, 4:32pm

Post #5 of 12 (367 views)
Shortcut
There's a similar thread on page 3 (if you're interested) :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never had a problem with 3d - it's just the glasses that dig into my head. I find them really uncomfortable.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 3 2012, 4:40pm)

BornOutOfTheWest
Cabin Boy

Dec 3 2012, 6:25pm

Post #6 of 12 (274 views)
Shortcut
Guardian Article [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting Guardian Article in response to these claims

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/shortcuts/2012/dec/03/the-hobbit-film-complain-sickness

An eye catching comparison to the 'Avatar' visuals -

ē The very first review of Avatar claimed the special effects were "literally vomit inducing". The anonymous post, on Gawker, panned the plot, and described James Cameron's pioneering 3D techniques as "alienating" and "weird". "There are some beautiful moments Ö but overall it's a horrible piece of poop." Avatar has taken almost $3bn worldwide and is the most successful film of all time.

:P

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 4 2012, 2:09am)

YaznegSouth40
Cabin Boy

Dec 3 2012, 9:40pm

Post #7 of 12 (181 views)
Shortcut
These films... [In reply to] Can't Post

can be seen in regular 2D right? What I mean they're not only in 3D right? Because I do not plan on seeing them in 3D unless I feel I need to just try it...but only after I view first in 2D.

painjoiker
Boatswain

Dec 3 2012, 9:48pm

Post #8 of 12 (160 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm seeing the film in 2D, [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess it's possible, as I'm no magician Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

ForestPark
Cabin Boy

Dec 3 2012, 11:40pm

Post #9 of 12 (132 views)
Shortcut
And MacDonalds is the most successful restaurant of all time [In reply to] Can't Post

so let the weak of CNS and GI tract be damned. It's evolution baby.

Ziggy Stardust
Gunner

Dec 4 2012, 1:36am

Post #10 of 12 (109 views)
Shortcut
It sounds strange [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I am prone to motion-sickness, so that does worry me some. However, is the picture really that bad? People complained that the camera movement in The Hunger Games jerked around, and it did, but I felt fine afterward. Perhaps they are exaggerrating a bit? It can't be any worse than what the wii can do. Now I've gotten motion sickness from THAT.

Silverlode
Terror of the Seas / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 1:47am

Post #11 of 12 (92 views)
Shortcut
It's up to your local theater. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just check and see what formats they'll be showing in.

Silverlode

Growlithe the Grey
Cabin Boy

Dec 4 2012, 4:09am

Post #12 of 12 (94 views)
Shortcut
You wonder though [In reply to] Can't Post

How many of these people complaining have ever even seen a "regular" 3D movie? Are these people susceptible to motion sickness or similar issues to begin with?

In other words, I'm wondering if this has anything at all to do with 48FPS whatsoever. It might not.

That's if these "reports" even have any substance to being with.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.