Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A wizard is a wizard is a wizard I suppose

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2012, 3:41am

Post #1 of 9 (716 views)
Shortcut
A wizard is a wizard is a wizard I suppose Can't Post

just read this article and some of the things in it made me chuckle this one in particular

It so happens that his contemporary Sir Michael Gambon (the only other actor in theater who can stand with McKellen on equal terms with Sir Laurence Olivier) also plays a famous wizard, in Harry Potter. “I often get mistaken for Dumbledore,” McKellen mentioned amusingly. “One wizard is very much like another.”
When the two met backstage recently, McKellen asked Gambon if he was ever mistaken for Gandalf. “All the time!” he replied.
“That’s good,” said McKellen. “And what do you do?”
“Oh,” Gambon told him, “I just sign your name!”

The whole thing is here http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/12/sir-ian-mckellan-hobbit-on-coming-out

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 3 2012, 3:46am

Post #2 of 9 (314 views)
Shortcut
"I just sign your name!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Hilarious! Laugh

Not sure if he's serious or not, but either way it's awesome!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

totoro
Lorien

Dec 3 2012, 4:32am

Post #3 of 9 (240 views)
Shortcut
lol. Thank's for sharing! nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2012, 4:36am

Post #4 of 9 (247 views)
Shortcut
That's hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course if I made the same mistake I'd expect my geek card to be revoked and to immediately be set upon by rabid fanbois wielding high-powered paint guns. And I'd deserve it. Laugh

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Mahtion
Rivendell

Dec 3 2012, 5:17am

Post #5 of 9 (231 views)
Shortcut
Pathetic fandom [In reply to] Can't Post

Even casual moviegoers can differentiate between Dumbeldore and Gandalf. McKellen and Gambon do not even look alike. It would take a very daft person or someone oblivious to even the most distinguishing traits of the character to make such a mistake.

If someone was barely into the movies I question why they would want an autograph from a fantasy movie actor.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 6:01am

Post #6 of 9 (224 views)
Shortcut
'It is not easy for us to tell the difference between two mortals,' said the Elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

'Nonsense, Lindir,' snorted Bilbo. 'If you can't distinguish between a Man and a Hobbit, your judgement is poorer than I imagined. They're as different as peas and apples.'

'Maybe. To sheep other sheep no doubt appear different,' laughed Lindir. 'Or to shepherds. But Mortals have not been our study. We have other business.'

'I won't argue with you,' said Bilbo. 'I am sleepy after so much music and singing. I'll leave you to guess, if you want to.'

As Tolkien knew, different people have different interests.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Plurmo
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 2:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (100 views)
Shortcut
“I just sign your name and then wonder how good it would feel [In reply to] Can't Post

to beat their heads with a staff or throw them along Denethor into the pyre!"

[Surely that excerpt reminded me of how David Bowie feels when younger people approach him to say that they liked his version of Nirvana's The Man Who Sold The World song.]

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 6:44am

Post #8 of 9 (85 views)
Shortcut
As inconceivable as it seems [In reply to] Can't Post

As inconceivable as it seems that anyone who truly considers themselves a fan could confuse the two, I could actually see myself accidentally saying the wrong name in the thrill of nervous excitement. Blush One reason I've never asked for an autograph.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 3:21am

Post #9 of 9 (86 views)
Shortcut
Very good! Mods up. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.