Green screen
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 2 2012, 9:23am

Post #1 of 38 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Green screen Can't Post

A while ago I read a lot of complains for green screen in The Hobbit. There were even people saying that is was worse than LotR. So here's an image from LotR TTT and an image from The Hobbit. Both scenes were using green screen. compare for yourself... from the hobbit: http://static.hypable.com/...gh-res-15.jpg?f0f9df from LotR: http://imageshack.us/...lotrgreenscreen.jpg/

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 2 2012, 9:26am

Post #2 of 38 (579 views)
Shortcut
is that from a person who already seen movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

The hobbit's picture looks great for me.

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 2 2012, 9:28am

Post #3 of 38 (557 views)
Shortcut
No, from people who judged the movie over a trailer .// [In reply to] Can't Post

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 2 2012, 9:30am

Post #4 of 38 (554 views)
Shortcut
It does look great, and I'm 100% sure it will be the best looking effects ever.// [In reply to] Can't Post

utku
Rivendell

Dec 2 2012, 9:30am

Post #5 of 38 (583 views)
Shortcut
Another complaint is the amount of green screen shots. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only reason for people to say that they have used "too much green screen", is vlogs. We have seen plenty of green screen shots there but relatively limited location shots. However that doesn't mean they are actually limited. Sharing location shots with public before the movie could kill the scene because final product will not be that different and Mr. Jackson knows this, so instead of seeing much of the scenery, we have seen the studios because hey, studio shots would not be the same after post-production. I, myself, am not worried about this issue. I'm sure they have made good use of locations in NZ.

Also yes, I've heard people say CG looks worse than LotR but I can only think they are joking. I just don't see that. Everything looks more than alright.

chazychris
The Shire

Dec 2 2012, 9:33am

Post #6 of 38 (551 views)
Shortcut
Not a good comparison [In reply to] Can't Post

For one thing, that TTT picture is a frame lifted from a panning shot, and the actual quality of the image isn't all that great. The Hobbit picture may be a still to begin with -- correct me if I'm wrong, which I very well could be? It doesn't look like a frame from any actual shot -- in fact, Bilbo and several dwarfs seem to be looking directly at the camera, indicating it is a staged still shot.

My point being that a low-res screen grab from a panning shot and a high-res still shot is not a objective way to consider two green-screen scenes.

It seems 100% likely that all effects on The Hobbit trilogy will be an improvement over those in LOTR (not to say they are bad -- groundbreaking for their time in fact, especially Gollum of course) -- Peter Jackson himself said in an interview that compositing of shots is one of the biggest improvements visually in the last decade. So I would not be concerned about effects, given the magicians at WETA, and all the money they had to play around with!

"At any rate he is under no enchantment but his own."
-Tolkien, The Hobbit (Gandalf describing Beorn)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 2 2012, 9:35am

Post #7 of 38 (551 views)
Shortcut
Green screen is always worse than a set [In reply to] Can't Post

So yes, it might look good, but I'd prefer a set or a real location. Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

chazychris
The Shire

Dec 2 2012, 9:37am

Post #8 of 38 (553 views)
Shortcut
"Looks worse" [In reply to] Can't Post

And for little hints of negativity about CG on the Hobbit, I'm thinking it's coming from people who haven't actually seen the film, or possibly from those who simply cannot adjust to 3D HFR -- in which case seeing the film at 24 fps 2D will likely bring the CG in line with their expectations.

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 2 2012, 9:41am

Post #9 of 38 (524 views)
Shortcut
This was talked about after the release of the second trailer.. so nothing from the final movie .. I'm sure it looks the best we have ever seen [In reply to] Can't Post

No one said the CG doesn't look good in the final movie ! this is was said after the release of the second trailer.

chazychris
The Shire

Dec 2 2012, 9:48am

Post #10 of 38 (553 views)
Shortcut
100% Computer Generated Shots [In reply to] Can't Post

This worry of green-screen just made me think of the shots referenced in the last vlog and in an interview Peter Jackson did back around Comic-Con; and those are the action-heavy shots (in battle sequences and the such) that are going to be completely CG. During some sequences, during Troll Shaw for example, we're going to be seeing something way beyond green-screen technology. We'll be seeing real live-action footage cut together directly with CG footage, complete with "digital doubles" of the entire cast (digital avatars whose animations will be based on live-action motion capture of the corresponding actors). According to Jackson, a CG WETA digital double on screen is completely indistinguishable from actual video of the same character in make-up.

Talk about some crazy technology . . . but I have complete faith in Peter to be able to marry live action and CG shots and effects into a cohesive and fluid whole.

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 2 2012, 9:55am

Post #11 of 38 (533 views)
Shortcut
I know and can't wait to see it and to make things clear: [In reply to] Can't Post

No one that saw the real entire movie said something bad about the CGI effects or green screen and what so ever. So don't worry. I'm sure it will be the best we've ever seen.

chazychris
The Shire

Dec 2 2012, 9:59am

Post #12 of 38 (498 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

To sound corny as hell, I'm ready for an expected journey to take me to very unexpected places. 12 more days after 10 years of expectation!

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 2 2012, 10:00am

Post #13 of 38 (498 views)
Shortcut
I'm very thankfull to be able to watch it in 10 days, on the 12th =) .// [In reply to] Can't Post

chazychris
The Shire

Dec 2 2012, 10:01am

Post #14 of 38 (511 views)
Shortcut
SO lucky -- that's awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

elanesse
Rivendell

Dec 2 2012, 11:04am

Post #15 of 38 (482 views)
Shortcut
too sharp nd clear [In reply to] Can't Post

well....my problem is, the Hobbit looks too sharp and clear, even the far objects. This is not natural.

Gusev8
Bree

Dec 2 2012, 11:28am

Post #16 of 38 (444 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that will happen, They know what they're doing.. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2012, 2:38pm

Post #17 of 38 (350 views)
Shortcut
Its not a matter of [In reply to] Can't Post

Weta not knowing what they are doing. That they are professionals with a good resumé, no one desputes that.

What our fellow TORer here means is that from what he has seen, the picture looks too sharp and crisp which could be the direct result of the 5K Resolution employed by the Red cameras, lack of grain due to digital photography, added sharpness, etc...

All valid concerns when it comes to decide whats the best visual look for a fantasy like TH. If the image looks too sharp, clear or digital, and having that sharpness limit the belief that we are seeing another world rather than a studio , that could be a negative aspect of this production.

Some shots, like the rivendell waterfall, the extremely sharp rocky landscape at the beginning of trailer 2, perhaps this shot, all have a strong un natural sharpness to them...wether thats good or not, we shall soon discover.

So, his points are very valid concerns that can not simply be washed away with " they know what they are doing ".

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 2 2012, 3:47pm

Post #18 of 38 (336 views)
Shortcut
What WETA Digital achieved on Avatar took things to the next level [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best digital effects shots I've ever seen is when Jake first leaves the ship on Pandora. Suddenly you realise that epic scale CAN be achieved with CGI.

We're gonna see this in action on The Hobbit.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 2 2012, 5:53pm

Post #19 of 38 (321 views)
Shortcut
green screen is fine [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes green screen is used to put in reallife backgrounds, is that ok? sometimes there used to put in a cgi one, or would you prefer a hand painted matte painting for the background?

i reckon alot shots you think are actual sets and locations may even be fake cgi ones, there really is no point worrying about it.

the people that say too much green screen is used dont seem to mind wigs on characters, wigs annoy me more than green screened vistas, what do you want in the end, an epic fantasy film or a documentary!

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 2 2012, 7:56pm

Post #20 of 38 (243 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Lee wouldn't be in this film if it wasn't for Green Screen... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just sayin' Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 2 2012, 7:59pm

Post #21 of 38 (225 views)
Shortcut
Nor Ian Holm! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 2 2012, 8:19pm

Post #22 of 38 (235 views)
Shortcut
You mean there'd be no... [In reply to] Can't Post

superfluous Frodo/Old Bilbo faming scenes? If only we were so lucky...

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 2 2012, 8:24pm

Post #23 of 38 (214 views)
Shortcut
Agreed about Frodo... [In reply to] Can't Post

He had his films. But I love Holm's Bilbo. Evil You wouldn't deny me that, would you?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 2 2012, 8:27pm

Post #24 of 38 (205 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I would, I'm sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

What I would have liked, however, is a very small voice cameo of Ian saying the first line "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." It would have been perfect.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2012, 8:28pm

Post #25 of 38 (197 views)
Shortcut
Having his voice come out of nowhere would have been weird [In reply to] Can't Post

So better to show him in the film Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.