Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Hobbit Syndrome risk ... anyone else?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 27 (1063 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Syndrome risk ... anyone else? Can't Post

Sorry for the dim and foreboding title, but I thought this was the best place to share my thoughts.Laugh

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing physical health disorders in anticipation of AUJ's release? It's sort of like, being on the edge of something - the tension of the excitement just puts a strain on you - leading to all sorts of adverse side effects: headaches, stomach aches, hot flushes ... etc. Crazy

Somehow, the closer the date gets, the more I can't withstand the excitement and the less patient I get. Every minute takes like an hour to pass and a day ... forever.

Not to mention all these TV spots and updates that make it worse and more unbearable! Shocked

Any one else feeling the eucatastrophe coming? Tongue

(This post was edited by Arandir on Dec 1 2012, 5:00pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2012, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 27 (457 views)
Shortcut
Um, no [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not saying it's impossible for other folks.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 1 2012, 5:04pm

Post #3 of 27 (454 views)
Shortcut
headaches, stomach aches, hot flushes [In reply to] Can't Post

are reserved for college that i hate and job that i hate.

Hobbit's positive man.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 1 2012, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 27 (425 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely reserved for college [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit, on the other hand, is a breath of fresh air!

Thankfully, I have my graduation ceremony on the 13 at 7pm and then I'll be seeing the Hobbit five hours later!!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 5:10pm

Post #5 of 27 (404 views)
Shortcut
I think I know what you mean ... [In reply to] Can't Post

probably those effects are more linked to having to go to work and/or college whilst waiting for the Hobbit release date to come closer Unimpressed

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 1 2012, 5:12pm

Post #6 of 27 (400 views)
Shortcut
They probably are [In reply to] Can't Post

Just imagine. Less than two weeks and it'll all be over! (well, the wait, I'm not sure when you're semester is over). I honestly can't believe we're this close to seeing a movie we've been waiting for for 9 years!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 5:13pm

Post #7 of 27 (398 views)
Shortcut
After that, it's all a matter of waiting another 356 days for Film 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 1 2012, 5:15pm

Post #8 of 27 (395 views)
Shortcut
The wait shall be easier! [In reply to] Can't Post

For one thing, we'll have AUJ to be gnawing over for the next few months. Then it'll be released on blu-ray and we'll gnaw over it again. And then the last half of the year (or so) will be spent in speculation fever mode again. All in all, it will be fantastic!

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 5:53pm

Post #9 of 27 (349 views)
Shortcut
I agree! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 7:09pm

Post #10 of 27 (321 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to say yes ... [In reply to] Can't Post

But real life is far more stressful than anything Hobbit related!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 7:50pm

Post #11 of 27 (284 views)
Shortcut
Isn't The Hobbit part of real life? ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 1 2012, 7:59pm

Post #12 of 27 (276 views)
Shortcut
When is your trip coming up, Daniel?// [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 8:29pm

Post #13 of 27 (266 views)
Shortcut
I leave January 16th! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can fit in at least 30 screenings of The Hobbit before I leave. Laugh

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 1 2012, 8:57pm

Post #14 of 27 (250 views)
Shortcut
Oh good! [In reply to] Can't Post

So you'll be here for the frenzy. I'd thought so.

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 10:02pm

Post #15 of 27 (342 views)
Shortcut
Headaches, joint pain, insomnia, anxiety, fatigue, heartburn [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been experiencing a number of symptoms lately, You have convinced me that it must be Hobbit syndrome. it is simply the best explanation out there.

Other explanations aren't nearly as logical. For example, my headaches and joint pain couldn't possibly have anything to to do with sitting 8 hours straight in front of a microscope with imperfect ergonomics and coming home to a madhouse with 3 small children and an often burnt-out wife. And my insomnia doesn't have anything to do with a recent switch from graveyard to day shift. Despite the fact that all of my siblings have a history of anxiety, I'm sure that my emotional ups and downs and anxiety episodes are all the result of anticipation for the Hobbit.

And while one of my favorite snacks are microwave quesadillas and burritos drowned in Mexican hot salsa, my heartburn must have been due primarily to the butterflies in my stomach that come from thinking about the Hobbit film.

Yes, I'm sure that two weeks from now all my aches and pains will be erased in a 3 hour extraveganza of pure movie magic.

(By the way, I was exaggerating slightly on one point-- in reality I haven't had heartburn for several months, although I do get a bit of acid reflux when I eat too much salsa.)

There was a man.
There was a lady.
There was a Dragon Lord.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 2 2012, 12:08am

Post #16 of 27 (217 views)
Shortcut
I'm more disoriented than physically sick. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having trouble understanding that in less than 2 weeks the wait is over. After years of petitions and fear and hoping...it's finally here! I'm a bit more off-whack right now because I'm going to my local theatre's LotR marathon the Saturday before (Dec 8th). Its just all so surreal now. Wonderful! But surreal...

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 2 2012, 12:09am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 2 2012, 1:00am

Post #17 of 27 (211 views)
Shortcut
That's how I feel. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's seriously crazy that in only 13 days I'll be seeing The Hobbit!! Holy Goodness it's unreal!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 2 2012, 1:48am

Post #18 of 27 (197 views)
Shortcut
*squeeeeeeee!* :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2012, 4:55am

Post #19 of 27 (241 views)
Shortcut
Headaches, fatigue, sores.... [In reply to] Can't Post

for me any thought of The Hobbit is a cure for these throes of life.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 2 2012, 7:14pm

Post #20 of 27 (223 views)
Shortcut
Bomby has Already found a Cure for this Dragggin- on Sickness? [In reply to] Can't Post

Banished myself from the Hobbit discussion Boards..
And just been. Hanging out on Main.
Rather than get spoiler sickness,
TOMMOROWs Embargo..means. no Internet No TV
( Haven't owned one for 6 years anyway..
Internet only household)
Bomby only watchs. Pro FootBall at a
Sports Bar on Sunday.
This maybe my last Looksee at TORn.
.until after the midnight Showing.
Bomby doesn't NEED....his. Head filled by Critics,Speculators,Spoiler-izettas
Etc.
Heck,this Hiatus is only 11 days...long Enough to quietly read
my 4 Books again.
Bomby. ..Needs no stinkin' speculation?
Bomby jus' Needs to....See TH..
without the weight of otherpeoples
Needless Drama?
XoxxxoxBomby
HeartShocked

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Dec 3 2012, 1:09am

Post #21 of 27 (147 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Spoiler sickness. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with you Bombadil!

I'm rereading The Hobbit again before I see it. I'm not worried about faithfulness to the book, but I have been worried whether or not it will love up to Jackson's other LotR movies. I've seen enough TV clips not to be worried anymore.

Now I wish I could erase the clips from my memory so I can savor more surprises at the theatre December 13th. I can't shake the nervous feeling that I've seen too much.

'It is ever so with the things that Men begin: there is a frost in Spring, or a blight in Summer, and they fail of their promise.' ... '[Yet their seed] will lie in the dust and rot to spring up again in times and places unlooked-for.'

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 3 2012, 1:18am

Post #22 of 27 (171 views)
Shortcut
nope ... two reasons ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have spoiler sickness because:
(1) I am avoiding any further spoilers as of last month (roughly) and up until it shows.
(2) I got super busy anyway starting then.

*BUT* now my friends and family are getting into the spoilers like I was this summer and early fall!
It is kind of funny when my brother is like "Oh yeah, and guess what they have on youtube!!! They have these video blogs all about the making of the movie ... " and I am kind of coy about things so I just say "oh really! Tell me about those!" Shocked

I am hearing more and more about plans to see the movie from people I know ... I might be seeing it many multiples of times ... in the theather ... depending on how my schedule turns out around that time.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 3 2012, 3:20am

Post #23 of 27 (191 views)
Shortcut
I can't stop tears streaming down my face [In reply to] Can't Post

No, wait. That was the cast of the original trilogy. Sorry for the confusion.

TP.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 3 2012, 5:13am

Post #24 of 27 (156 views)
Shortcut
LOL, TP [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad to see you around these parts. You've been sorely missed.Smile

chazychris
The Shire

Dec 3 2012, 5:41am

Post #25 of 27 (146 views)
Shortcut
Nightmare [In reply to] Can't Post

Last week I had a dream that I was watching The Hobbit and didn't like it. I woke up feeling devastated, but then quickly realized it was but a dream.

"At any rate he is under no enchantment but his own."
-Tolkien, The Hobbit (Gandalf describing Beorn)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.