The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
40-year-old Bilbo

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 1 2012, 9:08am

Post #1 of 16 (810 views)
Shortcut
40-year-old Bilbo Can't Post

Looking back, I almost forgot how thankful I was at the time when Martin Freeman was finally cast as Bilbo. 40 may not be 50, like book-Bilbo, but it matters not. In hobbit years, 40 is pretty damn near 50. It's perfect.

I remember a couple of years back with all the rumours of actors playing Bilbo. They were all young, very young, too young for the part. Daniel Radcliffe for instance. Most folks around here, including me, were sort of prepared for a young Bilbo and I remember some heated debates here that Bilbo's old age is much more important than Frodo's for the story. Even I said something along the lines of "We won't get a Bilbo that is older than 30 years, no point in hoping." Martin Freeman's name was nominated early but it was never much more than a pipe dream, there was not really any real rumours around him being Bilbo then, at least not compared to McAvoy, Radcliffe, Tennant and Maguire (who was cast, remember? According to The Sun Cool)

With all the reports of how fantastic Freeman is in the movie, we should remember what might have been! Thank you, PJ & co.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 9:10am

Post #2 of 16 (390 views)
Shortcut
Some of these rumors was hopeful fans [In reply to] Can't Post

For example David Tennant was rumoured to most parts in the film.............

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 9:27am

Post #3 of 16 (348 views)
Shortcut
Of course ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Had Holm been younger, he would have still made the perfect Bilbo.

I have to say, I was a little nervous when Freeman was cast. I detest The Office, and that's all I had seen him in (excluding Sherlock). He certainly does seem like a great Bilbo though.

The other suggestions are just awful.Crazy

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 1 2012, 9:28am

Post #4 of 16 (345 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

The rumours of Radcliffe and Maguire were made up by moronic tabloids who thought Bilbo was Frodo's dad or something, and expected an actor with similar looks to Elijah Wood. I'm sure those actors never even auditioned.

The only legit-sounding rumours were Freeman and Tennant.

* crunch *

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 1 2012, 9:46am

Post #5 of 16 (350 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps an unpopular opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but Tennant would have made an awful Bilbo, in my opinion.

He's a great stage actor but, personally, I think he overacts on screen. Just the hint of a wisecracking Doctor Who-type Bilbo would make me shudder.

Freeman's understated Englishness should be perfect.

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 1 2012, 9:51am

Post #6 of 16 (327 views)
Shortcut
Well, 50 is the hobbits' 40, since they often live to become about 100 years old :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 1 2012, 11:24am

Post #7 of 16 (277 views)
Shortcut
I was rooting for Freeman the whole time [In reply to] Can't Post

I still remember, right after seeing Hitchhikers Guide, excitedly showing my friends and family the perfect Bilbo Baggins. I take a lot of pride in calling that one out so far in advance.

It's also really made the experience of seeing the films come together that much more enjoyable. I always just pictured Freeman as Bilbo anyways, so it's such a magical dream come true to see it happen. I couldn't be happier. I was never worried about them casting a younger Bilbo.

And I remember when GDT said that him and PJ said the name of the actor they wanted at the same time. It was then that I knew it had to be Freeman. There was no other name that could just immediately pop into my head like that.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 1 2012, 11:25am

Post #8 of 16 (288 views)
Shortcut
I am thankful indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Freeman is wonderful and I'm sure he will make the perfect Bilbo.

I wouldn't want to even imagine the horror of someone like Daniel Radcliffe in the role. He was so wooden as Harry Potter (although I'm sure that because of that comparison he could never have been cast anyway). Someone like McAvoy might have done decently, but I think Martin Freeman is the perfect choice. I think casting is one thing that has been done amazingly well for all of these movies (and I'm including the LotR trilogy here), with only a few of misses.

Lightice
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 1:05pm

Post #9 of 16 (228 views)
Shortcut
I've never heard of Tennant being considered for Bilbo's role... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...but Tennant would have made an awful Bilbo, in my opinion.

He's a great stage actor but, personally, I think he overacts on screen. Just the hint of a wisecracking Doctor Who-type Bilbo would make me shudder.

I did hear that he had been considered for Thranduil, though. But either way, you really shouldn't judge an actor based on one, single role. Doctor Who requires hyperactive hamminess, it's been a defining quality of the Doctor for decades in varying degrees, and Tennant did an excellent job with it. But just because he hams it up for one role doesn't mean it's the only thing that he can do. He made an excellent brooding Hamlet, for example.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 1 2012, 1:12pm

Post #10 of 16 (219 views)
Shortcut
I have only seen Tennant in Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

And his portrayal of Barty Crouch Jr made me think just one thing - this fellow isn't Bilbo.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 2:30pm

Post #11 of 16 (186 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 2:32pm

Post #12 of 16 (170 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Tennant is a wonderful Doctor, but he lacks the vulnerability and awkwardness of martin. Tennant is a bit too glamour boy. and he's too young. Wink

Arthael
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 2:46pm

Post #13 of 16 (177 views)
Shortcut
In one of Empire's first Hobbit specials [In reply to] Can't Post

back in 2009 they mentioned some of the actors that Jackson and Del Toro were interested in, and Freeman was among them. I'd only seen Hitchhiker's, but I was totally taken with the idea. A baffled Arthur Dent get's pulled into a universe-wide quest and doesn't even have time to take off his bathrobe (or grab his towel!) just like poor baffled Bilbo runs out the door without his hat.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2012, 3:15pm

Post #14 of 16 (157 views)
Shortcut
Whoever [In reply to] Can't Post

suggested Radcliffe as Bilbo must have been as high as Caradhras. Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 7:18pm

Post #15 of 16 (106 views)
Shortcut
Or a weird HP fan girl ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2012, 7:40pm

Post #16 of 16 (129 views)
Shortcut
He's a perfectly capable dramatic actor [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen him in roles that cover quite a range, and I'm a fan. However, I agree that he's not the Bilbo type at all. Just not very hobbity. He might have been an interesting Thranduil, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Lee Pace will do with it. Smile

Silverlode

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.