Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
New article on Hobbit union dispute.

Spaldron
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 11:34pm

Post #1 of 10 (2714 views)
Shortcut
New article on Hobbit union dispute. Can't Post

Some fairly negative stuff in this Guardian article. Have to say if all is true then NZ, Warners and PJ don't come across so well. Unsure

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2012, 11:39pm

Post #2 of 10 (297 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't look too much into this [In reply to] Can't Post

The Guardian has posted more negative stories about The Hobbit than any other newspaper I can think of.

They did the same with Tintin.

Edit:

As Tim said, this is just a desperate attempt to shed more bad light on the production.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 30 2012, 11:42pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2012, 11:40pm

Post #3 of 10 (289 views)
Shortcut
Bleh we've been all over this before [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting it's being dredged up again. Some folks continue to use The Hobbit as a bully pulpit...

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2012, 11:42pm

Post #4 of 10 (285 views)
Shortcut
Interesting that they publish this now... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not. Same situation with the PETA stuff. Take advantage of the hoopla surrounding the release to badmouth people associated with the production.

Here's my shocked face...*whaa?*

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 1 2012, 12:02am

Post #5 of 10 (264 views)
Shortcut
It's a little wee bit naughty of the Guardian [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to mention who Helen is in this context, I think. I had to look her up.

LR

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 1:18am

Post #6 of 10 (205 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it might be helpful [In reply to] Can't Post

if the information about who wrote it was clearer. It makes sense to me as an opinion piece. Most people probably wouldn't bother to click on her name.
I don't agree with everything Helen Kelly says, but I am very glad we have a council of trade unions.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 1 2012, 1:26am

Post #7 of 10 (200 views)
Shortcut
Oh quite so [In reply to] Can't Post

And similarly if an opinion piece were to be included from Warner Bros Head of Public Relations, I would also think it would be useful to know that as one reads.

LR

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2012, 2:07am

Post #8 of 10 (187 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, no kidding. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not at all impressed by this, as it's simply a repeat of what she said at the time and ignores certain other salient points, such as the fact that NZ Equity denied that it ever asked for a boycott and the head of the Australian Union apparently called it without their approval. And it was left up for a month, well past the time when it ought to have been taken down. Also, according to PJ's interview just prior to the premiere, WB sent him a whole bunch of location-scouted photos of the UK around that time, which is pretty good evidence that they would have taken the production overseas if it were not resolved to their satisfaction.

There's nothing here to make me change the conclusion I reached at the time.

Silverlode

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 2:34am

Post #9 of 10 (242 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts on Timing [In reply to] Can't Post

The Guardian piece is a response to comments Jackson made in a Telegraph article published just before the premiere (discussed here) and in a 20 minute Radio NZ interview aired the day of the premier (from the home page).

In other words, it was Jackson who resurrected this issue at this time. It may have implications for the NZ government so I guess it was thought to be expedient to rehash the official story just as all eyes (media) were on NZ for the premiere, and fan enthusiasm/anticipation is running highest.

At the first link PJ maintains the threat to leave was because of the union issue. In the radio interview he says the box of locations photos WB delivered to his offices (referred to in both pieces) must have taken 3-4 weeks to assemble.

Therefore it appears that WB began looking at moving the production some time before the boycott was announced. And, since the union action was cancelled before the session of parliament was even convened, it is clear to me that the union became a scapegoat for what was obviously a very controversial decision (IE to give a foreign multinational a quarter of a billion dollars while also passing a law to limit the rights of some people working on the production.)

In the final analysis, the union thing was more about bad timing than anything.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Dec 1 2012, 2:34am)

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 5:30am

Post #10 of 10 (240 views)
Shortcut
I don't really get the technicalities, [In reply to] Can't Post

and there seems to be pretty biased stories on each side, so it's hard to really know the truth of the situation, but I do know that a bunch of people I know who work in that industry are pretty unhappy about the whole thing.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.