Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Would you name your kids after Tolkien characters?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Would you name your kids after Tolkien characters?
Frodo
Galadriel
Aragorn
Elrond
Eowyn
Eomer
Shelob
Sauron
Luthien
Beren
Varda
Morgoth
Arwen
Hurin
Other
View Results (144 votes)

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 8:57pm

Post #26 of 101 (993 views)
Shortcut
That's true of any name, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

What if you give your child a Biblical name and your they grow up to dislike either the Bible or the specific Bliblical figure you named them after? What if you name them after a Saint and they decide to reject Catholicism? Or even just naming them after a figure in a more literary book or movie or someone you know in real life. I agree with your general philosophy, but we have to give people some name, and there's no way to know what they'll think of it later.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 9:02pm

Post #27 of 101 (1022 views)
Shortcut
My father was named after his mother. [In reply to] Can't Post

He got the male version of the his mother's name. I don't think changing the gender of names is terribly uncommon.

Is your middle name "Lynn", by any chance? Except that's spelled the same for both men and women, isn't it?

And actually, I named myself after the female figure of Greek mythology, so I've engaged in some gender switching too.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 9:12pm

Post #28 of 101 (996 views)
Shortcut
Nope, guess again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

I don't view it as a female name really - simply because I know more males with the same name!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 9:38pm

Post #29 of 101 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Loren?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 9:54pm

Post #30 of 101 (1009 views)
Shortcut
It was 2007 ... so, after the LOTR films // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 10:39pm

Post #31 of 101 (994 views)
Shortcut
I know someone who is named after Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

The parents, in their glorious wisdom, changed the spelling, but it is still instantly recognisable. Hideous.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 10:47pm

Post #32 of 101 (1043 views)
Shortcut
That can certainly be true of any name, but [In reply to] Can't Post

some of the names that are appearing now are nothing short of dreadful.
I don't know about other countries, but here in New Zealand there are certain parents who are so desperate to name their child something unique, they saddle them with the most awful made up name. These names are can be combinations of several names, ugly phonetic spellings of well known names, or made up names so full of consonants they are very difficult to pronounce, let alone spell. I try to imagine some of these children as adults with these names and I feel very sorry for them.

The rate it's going I won't be at all surpised to see a child named 'Goll-eme' or something similar turn up at my school. Crazy

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 1 2012, 12:46am

Post #33 of 101 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Leslie? [In reply to] Can't Post

And a no to the poll question. Far too many silly children's names as it is - Apple, Princess, Suri, Brooklyn, Heavenly, Deckchair, Ambivalence and whatnot. Or should that be Whatnot? Probably, depressingly.

LR

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 12:48am

Post #34 of 101 (989 views)
Shortcut
do you remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen?

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 1:08am

Post #35 of 101 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Talulah Does The Hula From Hawaii [In reply to] Can't Post

An actual child's name, thankfully rejected by the NZ authorities.

How about KimYah, Zhannequar, Lucifa, Lyric, Esance? Actual names of children I know.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 1 2012, 1:15am

Post #36 of 101 (1000 views)
Shortcut
Alas no [In reply to] Can't Post

You forget how extraordinarily youthful I am. But a bit of a google later and at least one assumes that some mitigation can be derived from the large quantities of hallucinogenic substances sloshing around at the time.

I can't feel as generous about people who come up with these things under the influence of a skinny decaf latte and granola muffin stump.

LR

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 1:29am

Post #37 of 101 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Thirty years ago I suggested it to my husband, but he nixed it. [In reply to] Can't Post

We were making lists of names, and one on my list was "Elrond". Uncle Baggins was incredulous. "Elront! What kind of name is that?" So we didn't. We named our son for his great-grandfather. Unfortunately, a few years later there was a cartoon character with that name, so he got teased anyway.

There is a person here on TORn who has a son named Beren.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 1 2012, 1:31am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 2:04am

Post #38 of 101 (978 views)
Shortcut
There's a family down here who named their daughter [In reply to] Can't Post

Emmeerleaigh

Seems Emily is just too difficult to spell Unsure

It took us a while to work out what the name actually was.

We gave our boys boring normal names, amazingly enough, they stand out in the classroom because they ARE so normal. Kind of crazy hey?

Then there's the family that used to be at our school, who gave their daughter the same name as I have in RL, but they pronounced it ARN LICE! They got really snotty with me when I told them they were pronouncing it wrong, until I pointed out that it's my name. EvilLaugh

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 2:25am

Post #39 of 101 (996 views)
Shortcut
listen... I worked in a community where made up names were very common [In reply to] Can't Post

with lots of apostrophes and weird spellings. I'd have to go through old papers to find some but there were LOTS.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 2:26am

Post #40 of 101 (974 views)
Shortcut
lol // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 3:09am

Post #41 of 101 (993 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many terrible ones I know, but then I feel a bit mean posting them, because it almost makes me feel like I am making fun of the child. And they have no control over what their name is. But I have to admit to wishing I'd kept a comprehensive list over the years.
I love my name. It's unusual but not weird, which I am very happy with.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 3:26am

Post #42 of 101 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear, Kel [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds just a little close to Epponnee-Raelene Kathleen Darlene Charlene from Kath & Kim. Laugh

Arn-lice definitely sounds like something you need medication to get rid of.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 3:36am

Post #43 of 101 (958 views)
Shortcut
Come to think of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I once knew of a boy who was named Rohan. I don't remember how his name was pronounced, though, or if he was even named after the Middle-earth people. Just saw it on a name tag once and did a double take thinking "That's a really cool name."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 3:36am

Post #44 of 101 (954 views)
Shortcut
Pretty horrible [In reply to] Can't Post

isn't it?

It really used to irritate me, as they'd call it across the school ground. Especially as I've spent years getting people around me to pronounce it correctly.

Btw I loathe Kath & Kim, it's bad enough running into bogons at the shopping centre, but seeing them on tv/!?!?ShockedCrazy *shudders*

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 4:14am

Post #45 of 101 (973 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Kath and Kim, but I can see why you might not.
I know some people who loathe Outrageous Fortune (which is based on Auckland's 'Westie' culture). Funnily enough, they remind me quite a lot of the characters on the show.
That does not, for one moment, mean that I am making any comparison between you and a certain Kath Day-Knight.
Although, I'm sure I saw you at Fountaingate Mall just the other day... *ducks* Laugh

Bogans? I can't get enough of them. Cool

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 5:04am

Post #46 of 101 (971 views)
Shortcut
I'm (very hopefuly) not going to have kids, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have noticed quite a few names in Tolkien's writings that I would consider as a first or second name. Some of them I would change the spelling slightly to make it more easily readable. My own name is Irish and is spelled nothing like how it's pronounced, and it's been such a pain throughout my life - to the point that it's pretty much a running joke.

I like Beren, Deor, and Erendis. I do actually know a guy called Samwise, but he just uses Sam. His dad is a hippy from way back who is a huge LotR fan.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 5:06am

Post #47 of 101 (961 views)
Shortcut
Rohan has been around a long time [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a Sanskrit name, from my understanding.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 1 2012, 5:25am

Post #48 of 101 (971 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow, never knew that [In reply to] Can't Post

Learn something new every day...thank you for the response.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 9:17am

Post #49 of 101 (959 views)
Shortcut
How much to keep you quiet? ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 1 2012, 9:28pm

Post #50 of 101 (947 views)
Shortcut
"Suri" and "Brooklyn" sound like lovely names to me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.