Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
(Tolkien fans) What religion are you.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: (Tolkien fans) What religion are you.
Atheist
Catholic
Christian
Muslim
Buddhist
other (feel free to specify.)
View Results (84 votes)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 13 2012, 5:16pm

Post #51 of 77 (263 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

there is no way to prove or disprove this idea, so it is a matter of faith

To me that's real faith. I think that's what Christ meant with the parable of the mustard seed.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 13 2012, 8:08pm

Post #52 of 77 (338 views)
Shortcut
Agnostic // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 14 2012, 4:40am

Post #53 of 77 (268 views)
Shortcut
'Mormon' is a nickname for members of a particular church, not a religion. [In reply to] Can't Post

(And not a nickname of their own choosing or given them by friendly folk, either, BTW.) And it's The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, so the 'LDS' would fall under 'Christian', anyway. :)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2012, 6:29am

Post #54 of 77 (283 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for getting my meaning even though I wasn't very clear :P [In reply to] Can't Post

When I re-read my post later I thought, "duh!" believing something without proof IS faith. But I think you knew I meant that I don't have any text that I look to as being the actual word of God; no person I see as being divinely guided to guide me in turn.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 14 2012, 8:48pm

Post #55 of 77 (230 views)
Shortcut
We've all been trained to play nice :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminds me a bit of the time my school had a panel on religion and invited a bunch of us professors to be on it. We looked at each other nervously and said, "Is it OK to talk about this here?" because we'd all been taught that the classroom is no place to be spouting off about our personal religions, and rightly so. But on a panel it was fine, and we were awfully careful not to fight :-)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 14 2012, 9:46pm

Post #56 of 77 (242 views)
Shortcut
Personally I find it hard to answer this question, although atheist would be my answer [In reply to] Can't Post

I've often felt that the world is too much of a wonderful place for its creation to be accidental, and am occasionally inclined to feel that I am in the presence of something far greater than my humble self. I try to do good out of a sense of what is right, although there is also a small part of me wanting to do good to gain passage to Heaven if I am proved wrong (I think everybody is self-serving to at least some degree, even if only to a small level).

However, when I search my own feelings I know that the only thing that I can imagine coming after this is complete oblivion. That is not something I want to believe due to its depressing connotations, but I feel that it is true, and because of that it is something that I must ultimately and honestly subscribe to.

If Heaven is a real place, then I would be also inclined to believe that Hell was a real place also, though I think that very, very few people would be considered evil enough to earn a place there.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Nov 14 2012, 9:53pm)

Misto
Lorien

Nov 15 2012, 12:04pm

Post #57 of 77 (219 views)
Shortcut
Technically... [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a piece of paper somewhere, making me a protestant Christian. Practically I can't even be bothered enough about religion to drop by the local church office and cancel my membership. So I guess that makes me an atheist of the I-really-don't-care kindWink

imin
Valinor

Nov 16 2012, 12:43am

Post #58 of 77 (204 views)
Shortcut
Athiest [In reply to] Can't Post

Been an atheist since i was around 10 years old. I didnt know that was what i felt was called but as i looked into it i was.

At first i was scared as i thought i shouldnt be feeling like this as i would be punished by god/not allowed into heaven but then i thought if this being/thing we call god is so awesome then he wont mind that i was not believing in him when he gave zero evidence for the entire history of the universe and felt better. If he did mind then he is too petty to be worshiped.

My parents were great and let me decide for myself through reading and talking to various people rather than pushing me one way or the other.

To me it was a defining moment in my life when i knew there was no god (imo).

I do think had i been born in a different part of the world i would most likely be part of the predominant religion in that area e.g. if i was born and raised in Pakistan i would almost certainly be a muslim.

I wish i would still 'see the light' and become an atheist (if born in a very religious country) but for most people they dont get the chance to think for themselves without outside influences. Whether they come to the conclusion their is one god, many gods or no god(s) to me doesnt matter, what does is having the opportunity to find out for ones self rather than being made to believe what your parents believe.

Ultimately people can believe whatever they want, if it doesnt hurt anyone and they try to be good people then they can believe what they like.

alienorchid
Lorien

Nov 17 2012, 7:42am

Post #59 of 77 (271 views)
Shortcut
I generally call myself an atheist, but, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm essentially agnostic.

I don't think there is any way I can ever know within my own lifetime, beyond any doubt, that there are supernatural entities. In saying that, I call myself an atheist because I think that it's so unlikely that any deity exists in the forms already established by human beings (such as the Abrahamic god, Hindu gods, greek gods, folk gods, etc), that I basically don't believe in any god or have any faith-based beliefs.

My parents are both atheist/agnostic, and when I was growing up they always told me that I had to explore and learn so that I could make my own decision about religion, faith and spirituality :)

I don't really have any issues with other people's personal beliefs - for me, what it comes down to is 'live and let live'.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 8:06pm

Post #60 of 77 (214 views)
Shortcut
I very very much object to 'Catholic' being separated from Christian... absolutely ridiculous lol.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unimpressed

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 8:10pm

Post #61 of 77 (195 views)
Shortcut
precisely. Or just keep them together.. .. [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 7:37pm

Post #62 of 77 (201 views)
Shortcut
Discussion about religion? In TORn? It's truly 2012. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm Christian. As are my Catholic brothers and sisters. Tsk tsk.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 9:05pm

Post #63 of 77 (181 views)
Shortcut
In unrelated matters [In reply to] Can't Post

Your new avatar caught me off guard! Change unsettles me.Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 9:25pm

Post #64 of 77 (200 views)
Shortcut
I've only just read all the other complements your had elsewhere on the forum. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have another one to add to your list now!

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:45pm

Post #65 of 77 (186 views)
Shortcut
Here Tolkien explains why he left out cults and religions in Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism." J.R.R. Tolkien (emphasis mine)

And this is why I love The Lord of the Rings so much: the task to destroy the ring, the characters' dealings with temptation and sin, the Eucharistic element in the Elvish lembas bread, the Divine Providence that Gandalf speaks of throughout The Hobbit/LOTR/Unfinished tails, etc. etc., are all so symbolic and beautiful. As Tolkien describes it, the religious element is "absorbed into the story" and also the characters. I loved the films (or what I was allowed to watch of them) and I loved the hobbit book as a young child when I didn't understand all of this, but I love them even more now that I do!

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:48pm

Post #66 of 77 (200 views)
Shortcut
Needless to say [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a Christian and a Catholic. Smile

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Nov 23 2012, 9:54pm

Post #67 of 77 (197 views)
Shortcut
I don't choose religion as a means in and of itself... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I do believe The Bible is true.

This is a matter of faith, and that's why logical argumentation never works when it comes to these matters. Glad to see there is none here. It's just too bad most school systems look down on faith and that hypocrites in religion give it a bad name.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 24 2012, 7:53am

Post #68 of 77 (162 views)
Shortcut
Religion in Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as religion in Middle-earth, there were several. The Elves and the Numenoreans worshiped Eru and honored his servants, the Valar. The Black Numenoreans worshiped Morgoth and were said to make sacrifices to him in Unfinished Tales. Other races of Men worshiped the Valar, mistaking them for gods according to the intro to The Silmarillion. The Dwarves probably worshiped their creator Aule and maybe Eru as well, since he breathed life into them.

By the way, as to your poll, I'm agnostic.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 5:23pm

Post #69 of 77 (155 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's the exact right way to handle religious themes in your fiction. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 6:49pm

Post #70 of 77 (163 views)
Shortcut
"most school systems look down on faith" [In reply to] Can't Post

In what country do you live?

This is completely false in America. A vast majority of teachers here are Christian, just like the general population.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 7:20pm

Post #71 of 77 (142 views)
Shortcut
It depends entirely on the country [In reply to] Can't Post

Many European countries are very secular.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 7:49pm

Post #72 of 77 (154 views)
Shortcut
But aren't there more Christian schools in Europe? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I've read that there are more religious schools in Europe, no? And that some are even paid for by State money? I'm no expert on the matter, though. I'm sure it varies quite a bit by country in Europe as well, but I'm thinking of the UK, Netherlands, and Germany at the moment.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 9:55am

Post #73 of 77 (143 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was a huge Christian [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saying...

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 5:57pm

Post #74 of 77 (176 views)
Shortcut
I thought he was fairly average-sized... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue Angelic

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 6:59pm

Post #75 of 77 (200 views)
Shortcut
A devout Catholic to be specific. [In reply to] Can't Post

It shows up very much in his work. Catholic virtues are everywhere and yet his writing doesn't clobber you over the head with religion. That's probably why people of such diverse faiths are big fans of his work.

(Personally, I am not religious. If you want to label me, "agnostic" would come the closest.)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.