Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 5:39pm

Post #1 of 10 (208 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of a meeting almost as momentous as when Bilbo "Good Morning'd" Gandalf... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Appendix A: Return of the King (v) Here Follows a part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen

"'…at the hour of sunset Aragorn walked alone in the woods, and his heart was high within him; and he sang, for he was full of hope and the world was fair. And suddenly even as he sang he saw a maiden walking on a greensward… …and he halted amazed, thinking that he had strayed into a dream, or else that he had received the gift of the elf-minstrels, who can make the things of which they sing appear before the eyes of those that listen.
'For Aragorn had been singing a part of the Lay of Lúthien which tells of the meeting of Lúthien and Beren… …And behold! there Lúthien walked before his eyes in Rivendell, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in Elven-home; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars.
'For a moment Aragorn gazed in silence, but fearing that she would pass away and never be seen again he called to her crying, 'Tinúviel, Tinúviel! even as Beren had done in the Elder Days long ago.
'Then the maiden turned to him and smiled, and she said: "Who are you! And why do you call me by that name?"
…'Because I believed you to be indeed Lúthien Tinúviel, of whom I was singing. But if you are not she, then you walk in her likeness."
'So many have said,' she answered gravely. 'Yet her name is not mine. Though maybe my doom will be not unlike hers. But who are you?'
'Estel I am called," he said; 'but I am Aragorn, Arathorn's son, Isildur's Heir, Lord of the Dúnedain: ' yet even in the saying he felt that this high lineage, in which his heart had rejoiced, was now of little worth, and as nothing compared to her dignity and loveliness.
'But she laughed merrily and said: "Then we are akin from afar. For I am Arwen Elrond's daughter, and am named also Undómiel."
'Often is it seen," said Aragorn, "that in dangerous days men hide their chief treasure. Yet I marvel at Elrond… …for though I have dwelt in this house from childhood, I have heard no word of you. How comes it that we have never met before? Surely your father has not kept you locked in his hoard?"
'No," she said, and looked up at the Mountains that rose in the east. "I have dwelt for a time in the land of my mother's kin, in far Lothlórien. I have but lately returned to visit my father again…"
'…Then Aragorn wondered, for she had seemed of no greater age than he, who had lived yet no more than a score of years in Middle-earth. But Arwen looked in his eyes and said: "Do not wonder! For the children of Elrond have the life of the Eldar."
'Then Aragorn was abashed, for he saw the elven-light in her eyes and the wisdom of many days; yet from that hour he loved Arwen Undómiel daughter of Elrond.""

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2012, 3:48am

Post #2 of 10 (82 views)
Shortcut
Elrond the Dragon-like? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn asks Arwen if she has been kept "locked in his [Elrond's] hoard"! But I think he does not mean this literally - most likely, it's an exaggeration to complement his notion of her as a "treasure".

But on a somber note, Arwen does foretell her future..."Though maybe my doom will be not unlike hers [Luthien's]". I wonder if this means that she, at this point, was already having feelings for this young stranger...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 1:20pm

Post #3 of 10 (67 views)
Shortcut
Introduction and Explanation of TIME & BS posts for our newbies and lurkers :) [In reply to] Can't Post

TIME (Today in Middle-earth) – BS (Book Spoiler) – and TORn's Geeky Observation Lists

...I started posting TIME in March, 2002. As I've read The Lord of the Rings for over 40 years, I had always wondered what was going on with the other members of the Fellowship when I was reading about Sam and Frodo in Ithilien or Merry and Pippin after they were split apart from the others. I started keeping a file on what was happening to them on any given day based on the timeline in Appendix B of the Appendices; so if there was something going on during any given day and/or year (in 3018, 3019, etc.), I listed them all together with excerpts from the book.
...During the final days of the War of the Ring, I got the brainy idea to share my madness and post them on TORn; hence, Today in Middle-earth (TIME). Some are short, some get long... depending on events. When there were slow spots in the story, I started posting my BS (Book Spoilers) to fill in the gaps of Rohan... I mean... TIME. Later on, I began to add entries from The Hobbit following the mileage charts and references from Karen Wynn Fonstad's "The Atlas of Middle-earth" that we use for TORn's Walk to Rivendell. However, these mileage charts end at The Lonely Mountain; so I have completed my own versions of mileage charts following Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn on their journey back home. These can also be found in The Walk to Rivendell's weekly post.
...I clump my posts together in one thread, adding to it each day until it drops off the page, and I try to remember to note each one with a little buggy icon so they're easy to find. You'll notice they're chopped up a bit with these "... ..." That's to honour copyright laws and not have too much of the Professor's text displayed without breaks. I'm not posting the books... just snippets of them to commemorate the timeline of Bilbo's and the Fellowship's Quests.
...There are a lot of events in the story that are not listed in the Appendices/Fonstad's book, so I've made notes that say (from the appendices) or (not from the appendices). If it says (no text) but there's something there, it's my fanfic... just a smidge.
...I don't always list something for every year if there's nothing going on; just occasionally for a point of reference. HOWEVER, if you're seriously trying to keep track of the exact dates according to the Shire calendar, these are not accurate dates. The Shire calendar has 30 days in each month (including February), so this would affect the actual date of an event. I am no good at conversions. It hurts my brain to do math(ish) things, so I work with our modern/Gregorian calendar, which I personally find comforting and easier to follow throughout the story.

So there you are. Enjoy!

grammaboodawg

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 1:27pm

Post #4 of 10 (66 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a Book Spoiler of one of my favourite moments from Fellowship of the Ring; when Frodo's awareness is really apparent... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Lothlórien: The Fellowship of the Ring

...[The Company comes to Cerin Amroth] "The others cast themselves down upon the fragrant grass, but Frodo stood awhile still lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful... ...No blemish or sickness or deformity could be seen in anything that grew upon the earth. On the land of Lórien there was no stain.
... He... ...saw that Sam was now standing beside him, looking round with a puzzled expression, and rubbing his eyes as if he was not sure that he was awake. 'It's sunlight and bright day, right enough,' he said. 'I thought that Elves were all for moon and stars: but this is more elvish than anything I ever heard tell of. I feel as if I was inside a song, if you take my meaning.'
... Haldir... ...seemed indeed to take the meaning of both thought and word. He smiled. 'You feel the power of the Lady of the Galadrim,' he said. 'Would it please you to climb with me up Cerin Amroth?'
... They followed him as he stepped lightly up the grass-clad slopes. Though he walked and breathed, and about him living leaves and flowers were stirred by the same cool wind as fanned his face, Frodo felt that he was in a timeless land that did not fade or change or fall into forgetfulness. When he had gone and passed again into the outer world, still Frodo the wanderer from the Shire would walk there, upon the grass among elanor and niphredil in fair Lothlórien.
... They entered the circle of white trees... ...the South Wind blew upon Cerin Amroth and sighed among the branches. Frodo stood still, hearing far off great seas upon beaches that had long ago been washed away, and sea-birds crying whose race had perished from the earth.
... Haldir... ...was now climbing to the high flet. As Frodo prepared to follow him, he laid his hand upon the tree beside the ladder: never before had he been so suddenly and so keenly aware of the feel and texture of a tree's skin and of the life within it. He felt a delight in wood and the touch of it, neither as forester nor as carpenter; it was the delight of the living tree itself."

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 1:54pm

Post #5 of 10 (66 views)
Shortcut
A treasure, fersher :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor Aragorn all tongue-tied and overwhelmed with the discovery of Arwen. What strikes me is that he was moved to singing before he saw her, then she appeared. First off... you rarely hear of Aragorn being that light-hearted. But... true to Middle-earth's mystique... it's almost as though his song turned into reality... she appeared through his song.

I don't blame Elrond for hiding this treasure :) After what happened to his wife, I'm sure he hid Arwen away from everyone but her kin.

sample

Unused Scenes

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 1 2012, 9:42pm

Post #6 of 10 (68 views)
Shortcut
It does seem a bit odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond (and both of his sons!) could go almost twenty years without even mentioning to someone that he is raising in his own house that he has a daughter. I guess it could be said that Elves really did have a different world-view.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 1 2012, 9:46pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2012, 11:23pm

Post #7 of 10 (59 views)
Shortcut
"...the delight of the living tree itself" [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien is one of the rare few who would imagine such an idea - and you know he's writing it from the heart. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 11:39pm

Post #8 of 10 (54 views)
Shortcut
or... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond's foresight saw the danger for his daughter with this would-be king ;)

sample

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 2 2012, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 10 (67 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that I'm making into a TIME post... a bit late, I'm afraid. It's a new November 30th post... but for now... it's our moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Return Journey: The Hobbit

... "Gandalf and Bilbo rode behind the Elvenking, and beside them strode Beorn... ...and he laughed and sang in a loud voice upon the road. So they went on until they drew near to the borders of Mirkwood, to the north of the place where the Forest River ran out. Then they halted, for the wizard and Bilbo would not enter the wood, even though the king bade them stay a while in his halls. They intended to go along the edge of the forest, and round its northern end in the waste that lay between it and the beginning of the Grey Mountains... ...Moreover Beorn was going that way too.
..."Farewell! O Elvenking!" said Gandalf. "Merry be the greenwood, while the world is yet young! And merry be all your folk!"
..."Farewell! O Gandalf... ...May you ever appear where you are most needed and least expected! The oftener you appear in my halls the better shall I be pleased!"
..."I beg of you," said Bilbo stammering and standing on one foot, "to accept this gift!" and he brought out a necklace of silver and pearls that Dain had given him at their parting.
... "In what way have I earned such a gift, O hobbit...?"
... "...Well, er, I thought, don't you know," said Bilbo rather confused, "that, er, some little return should be made for your, er, hospitality. I mean even a burglar has his feelings. I have drunk much of your wine and eaten much of your bread."
... "I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!" said the king gravely. "And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)! Farewell!"
... Then the elves turned towards the Forest, and Bilbo started on his long road home."

sample

Unused Scenes

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 2 2012, 5:52pm

Post #10 of 10 (124 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps; although... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, at least, Elrond only required that Aragorn take up his mantle as King of the West before he would consent to a wedding between the Ranger and Arwen. He did not display the concern for her fate that he has in the films.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.