Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Fly you fools, to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:01pm

Post #1 of 89 (325 views)
Shortcut
Fly you fools, to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome to this week's Fiesta Friday!

Who isn't in a Tolkien-y, Hobbit-y mood today after the premier of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in Wellington this week? Not only did many of us watch it streaming online, some of us were there, and we've been able to experience a little of the fun vicariously through them and their reports and pictures (check out the Moots board).

Thanks, in part to the premier, and in part to Weta linking to TORn in their newsletter yesterday, we had 26 new users sign up in the past 24 hours, almost 250 in the last month and the Hobbit board is moving so fast the Admins might have to give it a speeding ticket! *groan* Sly So, it's a good, exciting time to be on TORN!

Besides all the excitement of the premier, I'm celebrating a personal milestone that I've been working towards for almost a year: I'm now no longer an employee of my old company - I own my own consulting business! Not only that, but through a completely above board provision in their contracts, all my clients went with me! So, drinks are on the house today for sure!!

*puts quarters on the juke box* customers' choice today!

Happy Weekend, everyone!! SmileHeartLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 89 (136 views)
Shortcut
wow. Congrats on the new company! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good for you. :-)

Yes, it has been a Hobbit week. I stayed up to watch the premiere (even signed into chat at Barli's!). And have enjoyed hearing the few reports that have come in (with more to come, I know). And stayed busy trying to document TORn's participation in and impact on the event for the TORn History Mathom-house. whew.

My big news is, my youngest son told me he's moving out starting this weekend. Now, at the moment, both of my grown sons live with us. The oldest, who 29, went off to college a few hundred miles away for a year and a half but struggled with that and came back home to finish school here. The younger, who is 26 (the one who recently got engaged), has never lived away from home.

Now, I know my boys need to grow up and be men and moving out is part of that. I want that for them. I've even pushed for it - somewhat stridently at times. :-)

But facing that prospect still brings a bit of sadness to my heart. I like them both. They are good company and offer good tech assistance when I need it. (much of the help I can provide here is because they teach me how to do things) And they keep me young. Once he moves out, our relationship will have shifted and it will not go back to what it was when he was here having dinner with us most nights.

And the older son just got a most excellent job and I suppose the prospect of him leaving isn't far behind.

I still miss watching Mr Rogers and Thomas the Tank Engine with them.

sigh.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 5:12pm

Post #3 of 89 (128 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

And take a deep breath or two, since the fun is only starting. Crazy

I'm taking a deep breath or two myself. Last Friday I was in San Antonio having a wonderful Thanksgiving with family. The Friday before that I was in Colonial Williamsburg having a lovely restful holiday with The Gaffer. The Friday before that I was working like a fiend to get my latest project finished so I could enjoy the Williamsburg and San Antonio trips. Whew.

I'll take my usual frappuccino, please (it's warm again here in Texas, sigh.) Here's to TORn and Tolkien. May December be a wonderful ride for us all! Smile Heart

*stuffs tip jar with red maple leaves from Virginia and cactus blossoms from San Antonio*

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:15pm

Post #4 of 89 (122 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure the sadness of the boys leaving is offset by pride in what they're accomplishing. It probably doesn't make it much easier at times, but I hope it helps.

Have a great weekend! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2012, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 89 (120 views)
Shortcut
Hey Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep-- watched and quite enjoyed the online stream, and am more excited than ever to see the film! :)

And congrats on the Weta mention, the new signups, and (again) on your new business! :D

A celebratory Winter Usual, please, Altaira-- thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:17pm

Post #6 of 89 (127 views)
Shortcut
Frappucino, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the congrats, Lily. As much as I've been boning up on anything and everything about running my own business, I still have a lot to learn. Luckily, the day-to-day work is the same.

It sounds like you're in one of those: 'I need a vacation because of my vacations' places now, lol. I hope you have a restful and fun weekend. Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:19pm

Post #7 of 89 (133 views)
Shortcut
Hey back, Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the NZ TV crew did an exceptional job with the red carpet (except for a few microphone glitches here and there). It was really fun to watch, wasn't it?

*mixes hot chocolate and miruvor*

I hope you have a great weekend, whatever your plans! Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2012, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 89 (119 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks! :)

"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:25pm

Post #9 of 89 (121 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow - you're your own boss now! Smile I hope this will make things easier for you, overall - I know you get incredibly busy at times!

LOL - a speeding ticket for the Hobbit board! If it's like this now, imagine what it's going to be like when the movies make their official appearance - we'll have to hold tight to our best detachable party hoods! Wink

I'll just take a mocha coffee to-go, please, Altaira. And this weekend I plan to take a long, relaxing read of the Moots reports, and savour the moments! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:27pm

Post #10 of 89 (115 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Evey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have a great weekend! Any snow in your area yet? We've still got a dusting on the ground in places.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 5:27pm

Post #11 of 89 (123 views)
Shortcut

That's fantastic news! What a great week it has been for you then. If you don't mind my asking, what consulting do you do? Smile I think we should all by raising are glasses to you.

Apart from the premiere, my week has been meh. The PhD had slowed down recently, and work has piled up (mainly because of the upcoming trip). I left early today just because I couldn't face sitting in front of a screen for another four hours. It's strange, because this time last year it slowed down too. Maybe it's just because it's the end of the year? I'm sure it'll get through the pile of work (in between TORn, of course). Cool

Have a great weekend.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:29pm

Post #12 of 89 (114 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

you're happy to be able to stay home and relax for a while! Laugh

How was Williamsburg? Were you being just tourists - or doing research as well? Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2012, 5:31pm

Post #13 of 89 (106 views)
Shortcut
Hey, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, same thing here. :)

Thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

John Reuben.

Family Force 5.

Showbread.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:32pm

Post #14 of 89 (123 views)
Shortcut
It has to happen at some point... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is he moving very far? Have you put together a "hope chest" (kitchen items, bath items, etc.)? Has he planned what to take with him?

This is a Big Thing, moving out and on and upwards! I wish him (and you) well with it! Smile

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:32pm

Post #15 of 89 (118 views)
Shortcut

That must feel good!

I'll have a beer to celebrate with you!

Cheers!

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:36pm

Post #16 of 89 (118 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

In theory, I should be able to work less and get paid more. However, I already have two other companies interested in working with me (and am lucky enough not to have enough time for them at the moment), so who knows!

Sounds like a nice weekend - I'd like to get back to the Moots board myself and read what I've missed. Plus, our compadres should be returning from NZ this weekend and will undoubtedly be providing more reports.

Enjoy! Smile

imin
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 5:38pm

Post #17 of 89 (111 views)
Shortcut
wow congratulations :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish you the best of luck - sounds like you are doing fantastic, getting all the clients to move - you must be pretty darn good!

Living the dream - starting own business, own boss! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:39pm

Post #18 of 89 (123 views)
Shortcut
Thank-you. DanielB [In reply to] Can't Post

I mostly do accounting and auditing-type work that helps my clients prepare for when their 'real' external auditors come by. My clients don't have time to do it themselves, plus the outside auditors rely on it more if it's done by someone independent. One of those 'win, win' situations. Smile

Sometime you just *have* to get away from the computer. I can certainly relate. Have a great weekend!

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 5:41pm

Post #19 of 89 (113 views)
Shortcut
Ah, well as long as I don't have to pay for it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a strongbow cider then.

TP.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:43pm

Post #20 of 89 (120 views)
Shortcut
Hoists a Hengist-sized glass! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks a bunch, Hengist. It feels very good, actually. Every time my clients re-signed with my old company, or new clients asked for me, someone else who never spent any time with my clients got a commission. I tried several times to present incentive plans that would be more fair and retain good employees, but they always fell on deaf ears. So, I feel in the end that they gave me no choice. Definitely my gain (and my clients'), which I'll definitely drink to!

Here's to a great weekend! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:45pm

Post #21 of 89 (102 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, imin [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it.

Yes, the main thing keeping me from leaving was that I loved my clients. When I, and they, figured out they could go with me it was an easy decision to make.

I hope you enjoy your weekend! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 5:46pm

Post #22 of 89 (110 views)
Shortcut
Be careful, we may make an exception in your case [In reply to] Can't Post

...and give you two! Lol.

It really is nice to see you here! Try to make it a habit. Wink

Happy weekend, TP

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 5:49pm

Post #23 of 89 (115 views)
Shortcut
They flew the coop! [In reply to] Can't Post

To join you? Now isn't that a telling thing. ..It must mean you are just good looking....[[[Hides behind wife's tupperware collection. I am really happy for you AltairaSmile.

And yes that E-vent was just a fantabulous thing. What a gas seeing all those TORnfolk having a TIME!

Off quick now to help a friend bring in a 120odd boxes of flooring into his new house. It is looking really good over there.

We all have our final race tomorrow morning, a 5k in an undetermined inclement event. No matter, it looks speedos are OUTWink. Wish us 3 luck!Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 5:50pm

Post #24 of 89 (103 views)
Shortcut
I still miss the days when our sons lived with us [In reply to] Can't Post

And they're both in their thirties now, and married with children, so it's been a while. But every now and then, like at Thanksgiving last week, a quiet moment will fall and I'll look around and realized The Gaffer and the boys are seated in a circle, talking and joking like old times, and I grin from ear to ear.

You can be very proud of your sons!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 5:52pm

Post #25 of 89 (109 views)
Shortcut
If we could just harness all the fans' energy ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... we could launch another explorer to Mars! Smile

Have a great weekend, Evey....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.