Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
HOW does Smaug cover himself in Dwarven gold and jewels?

Beeromir
The Shire

Nov 30 2012, 2:41pm

Post #1 of 9 (869 views)
Shortcut
HOW does Smaug cover himself in Dwarven gold and jewels? Can't Post

I got to thinking about this after reading some comments on TV spot #9.

Perhaps we will see a Smaug that is a bland color, who then takes over Erebor, piles up the gold, smelts a large pile of it with his breath and then wallows in it, creating a golden shell on his scales.

It would be a good practical element to help explain his greed a bit, which frankly was always a little puzzling to me. He loves the gold for its appearance, not for its monetary value. It would highlight his vanity, and create a bit of personality in what is in danger of just being another 2-D CGI monster like the balrog or those cave trolls.

It would also be in keeping with the color palette used by PJ, in which evil creatures are grey and black. He becomes Smaug the Golden, but he wasn't born that way.

Thoughts?

Arthael
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 3:19pm

Post #2 of 9 (391 views)
Shortcut
good idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that! Very creative. Does seem to work on a couple levels. I was always puzzled by Smaug's greed. But it's a children's book so the villain doesn't really need a motive ;) Now that the story is getting treated with the same levity as Tolkien's other works, maybe we'll see some extra explanation!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 3:23pm

Post #3 of 9 (406 views)
Shortcut
How can I express [In reply to] Can't Post

how wrong this would be.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Fàfnir
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 9 (387 views)
Shortcut
NO ! He's red anyway, so it doesn't work // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lightice
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 3:29pm

Post #5 of 9 (399 views)
Shortcut
But that's not how it goes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would also be in keeping with the color palette used by PJ, in which evil creatures are grey and black. He becomes Smaug the Golden, but he wasn't born that way.

The colour of Smaug's upper scales is gold, not his belly. His belly isn't mainly covered by gold but by diamonds and jewels that have sunk into his soft underbelly as he's lied on the treasure for centuries.

Smaug has plenty of personality come apparent just from his discussions with Bilbo, and his diamond waistcoat is indication enough of his vanity without any gold-baths to be necessary. Not to mention that it's made pretty clear in the book that he hates to damage his treasure in any way.

nobofthepony
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 3:54pm

Post #6 of 9 (379 views)
Shortcut
I think GDT was planning something like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember at the beginning, whenever GDT would talk about Smaug, he would get really cryptic about Smaug blending with his "environment" in an unexpected way. Does anyone know where those interviews are? He would say he was dying to tell us more but that it would be unforgettable.

I think he was planning something like this, and if done right, could be awesome.

Beeromir
The Shire

Nov 30 2012, 4:33pm

Post #7 of 9 (294 views)
Shortcut
Just guessing. Surely there will be additional elements brought in to flesh out Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I just find it hard to believe that Smaug gets the Balrog treatment, where he is on the screen for a few minutes and is basically just a Boss from a video game level. So I don't think it will be like Bass-Rankin where we get a minute of dialogue with flash-light eyeballs and then he's off to burn stuff and goes out like a chump.

I'm also not a fan of the "Necromancer wants to recruit Smaug" angle as a way of tying these movies together to the larger story, even if there is some textual support for such a notion. But I'm not naive -- I know they will do something to tie it all in, and they will do something to flesh out Smaug's part in the second movie.

Maybe that just means a bit more dialogue from Smaug during the extended Attack on Laketown scene, and we see some POV of his cleverness as he decides how to proceed with his attack/tries to get at the dwarves on the mountainside/whatever else.

Think of Gollum. They mostly kept to the text there but really played up the schizo angle and used things like pupil size to reinforce the characterization.

They'll do something like this with Smaug. IF, and only IF, that's not a shadow and the attacking Smaug is not the colors we expected, then my suggestion was a guess at what they might be doing.

I could live with it. I can see why it might bother some folks, though I think they're being too uptight. This is akin to Weta's decisions about what Cave Trolls wear -- Smaug having some self-fashioned gold armor on part of his body wouldn't be that far afield.

It sure as hell makes more practical sense than saying that jewels are stuck to him because he laid there for so long. That doesn't pass a physics test with me. Surely some could stick if he just sat up, but if he's flying like a hurricane? C'mon.

One could argue that a dragon-sized suit of golden armor might be pretty heavy and would mess with his flying dynamic as well. Surely he wouldn't have it on his wings.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 4:46pm

Post #8 of 9 (112 views)
Shortcut
do you think it means [In reply to] Can't Post

that he is so encrusted in gold and jools, that he can hide in the treasure room as if invisible?, like camoflage, and thats how he tricks Bilbo and other tasty snacks into going into the cave unawares, and all you see is his dragon eye peeping, ready to pounce'.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 6:55pm

Post #9 of 9 (118 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Smaug's physical nature is responsible - [In reply to] Can't Post

- for his 'waistcoat'.

Perhaps like a Balrog, Smaug's body has a very high external temperature. This could cause it to 'weld' some of the jewelled treasures on to his body. In the 'real' world such a thing could destroy precious stones, but these are Dwarf treasures - perhaps their physical properties are different.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.