Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Errr ... what? Article in The Telegraph: "Send these horrid Hobbits back to the Shire"

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 8:51am

Post #1 of 16 (611 views)
Shortcut
Errr ... what? Article in The Telegraph: "Send these horrid Hobbits back to the Shire" Can't Post

I'm slightly surprised by this article in today's Telegraph

The most disturbing part being the last 2 paragraphs:

But what is worrying is the cult-like following that the Tolkien films have encouraged. Many of the acolytes seem victims of arrested development – detaching themselves from the real world with its real people and its real challenges. In the same way that superhero movies actually emasculate the audience by convincing them that their problems are so big that only a man in a cape can solve them, so the fantasy racket returns us to the emotional paralysis of early childhood.

The true horror comes when someone can no longer tell the difference between what’s real and what’s not and they end up living their lives as dwarves or wizards. It’s only a matter of time before the Tolkien cult grows so big that we have to treat it like a serious part of our culture. Expect Labour councils to snatch children from foster parents because they’re a member of a political party that is anti-orc. It’s only a matter of time.

I wouldn't really expect to see this in The Telegraph. I'm a little shocked, and offended. Unsure

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 30 2012, 9:11am

Post #2 of 16 (352 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's quite the diatribe. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty much every anti-Tolkien sentiment ever, all compressed into one article! Shocked

Sounds like this guy doesn't approve of escapism in any form. While there are plenty of good points to be made about the dangers of excess or obsession (over anything), there is nothing constructive at all about his approach and it just comes off as sour grapes. In fact, I'm left wondering what he does for entertainment, or if he believes in having fun at all. Tongue

Silverlode

demnation
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 11:19am

Post #3 of 16 (306 views)
Shortcut
The phrase [In reply to] Can't Post

'live and let live' comes to mind. Seriously, he should calm down before he gives himself an ulcer or something.Unimpressed

In a manner similar to the way obsessive fans behave, he is kind of blowing the whole thing way out of proportion. It's important (for me) to keep it in perspective. I love Tolkien. I love his work. It has changed my life in so very many positive ways. But in the end, they are just books (and movies!!)Smile

I guess what I'm saying is that he is being nearly as 'bad' with his vicious and highly judgemental attacks as the sometimes obsessive and over-the-top fans are. But again, live and let live.

Use Well the Days

(This post was edited by demnation on Nov 30 2012, 11:25am)

kareniel
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 12:43pm

Post #4 of 16 (269 views)
Shortcut
I think somebody needs a chill pill. [In reply to] Can't Post

Goodness, he's angry! And a little confused. He warns that fantasy gamers are "unlikely to grow up looking like Daniel Craig." Right. James Bond. The spy star of that most realistic series of films. No fantasy there. Nope! None.
I wonder if Mr. Stanley or his friends (Do they look like Daniel Craig?) ever don colorful scarves or badges to support their favorite football team as they engage in an epic "battle" over a football. Hmmm. Now that sounds like living in Fantasy Land.
People's tastes differ. It's okay! Some like to escape their problems by watching movies; others by attending football games, hiking wilderness trails, going to fantasy conventions, traveling in exotic lands, or reading books.
And if you prefer Dostoevsky over J.K. Rowling, good on ya'. But don't be a snob about it. There's room in the literary and cinematic worlds for all levels of realism and the casts of characters who inhabit those levels. Including hobbits. Mister Stanley should pick on somebody his own size.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 2:20pm

Post #5 of 16 (243 views)
Shortcut
In some circles it's cool to hate the popular thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's what's probably going on here.

The cult-like following is indeed alive and well and has been so, long before PJ's films were around. WinkCool

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

imin
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 16 (234 views)
Shortcut
Hit the nail on the head with this [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sounds like this guy doesn't approve of escapism in any form.

Some people dont like it/dont understand it and so when a movie comes along which is set in another world then they freak out thinking everyone is a man-child.

There will be more articles like this one in the coming weeks - i can remember reading them when the last HP book was released and people like this author were complaining how everyone wants to remain in their teenage years as if they were at hogwarts.

Oh well some dont get it/feel the need for escapist literature/films from time to time, others do.

Wouldnt it be a boring place if we left our imaginations and fantasies behind and became 'proper adults' Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 5:14pm

Post #7 of 16 (246 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised The Telegraph allowed such tripe to be published! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't aware the same happened for HP. It's just ridiculous. I thought it was a joke ...

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 6:15pm

Post #8 of 16 (222 views)
Shortcut
I'm completely unsurprised by it. [In reply to] Can't Post

You must not be familiar with the british media/literary intelligensia.

My favorite line was the one about the alleged 10% of HP fans who exhibited symptoms of substance abuse. I expect the pundit class (to which he belongs) can better that by some margin.

The purpose of these columns is to provoke a reaction. Angry and/or obsessively detailed responses provide the confirmation bias the writer was looking for. Bear that in mind. In an ideal world, nobody would respond at all.

TP.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 6:36pm

Post #9 of 16 (190 views)
Shortcut
I'd expect this kind of things 10 years ago, not in today's media. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 16 (221 views)
Shortcut
It's just an opinion piece [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually found parts of it very funny.
Have a cup of tea, DanielLB, and don't let the guy wind you up. That's what he wants!

There was a good comment after the article from someone who pointed out that you could write a similar piece about all sorts of 'fandoms', from soap operas to sports.

Remember the old quote: Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 7:27pm

Post #11 of 16 (207 views)
Shortcut
The Telegraph publishes a lot of tripe DanielLB [In reply to] Can't Post

After all it is the unofficial voice of the Tory Party. It also gives a platform to a number of climate change deniers.
Did you notice that the author has written a biography of Pat Buchanan, that says it all.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 8:47pm

Post #12 of 16 (182 views)
Shortcut
Well that certainly seems over-the-top// [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2012, 9:02pm

Post #13 of 16 (192 views)
Shortcut
The true horror comes when someone can no longer tell the difference between what’s real and what’s not [In reply to] Can't Post

Like the author of this so called article.

Let Bender tell us how to react to this.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Laerasyn
Bree

Nov 30 2012, 11:16pm

Post #14 of 16 (152 views)
Shortcut
I thought this kind of sentiment died in the 1990's? [In reply to] Can't Post

When people figured out that Dungeons & Dragons wasn't Satan worship and "geeks" started to become cool?

I have to admit, I don't know much of anything about British politics or society, but I would have been less surprised at this if it had come from a Pastor in the south over on our side of the pond...Unsure

'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Laerasyn
Bree

Nov 30 2012, 11:18pm

Post #15 of 16 (152 views)
Shortcut
Bender is a wide robot. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 7:07pm

Post #16 of 16 (164 views)
Shortcut
Chris Tolkien probably gave the Telegraph a huge wad of cash [In reply to] Can't Post

...to s*** all over the movies. Did you read the Telegraph's review of the film. Wow....

* crunch *

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.