Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are The Warners playing at with these tv ads, and their general difficulty to access at will?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 8:22am

Post #1 of 26 (968 views)
Shortcut
What are The Warners playing at with these tv ads, and their general difficulty to access at will? Can't Post

The fans on this site are doing a wonderful job, considering the circumstances, but should the bootleg work of fans, however valiant, really be required? Half a dozen TV spots were officially released with no problems, in all their glorious official clarity of picture. . . now, in the final stretch, some of the most impressive trailer images yet are put forth in catch by luck tv ads. . . and the company neglects or refuses to make them available on line. What is that about?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 8:24am

Post #2 of 26 (500 views)
Shortcut
They've only been released in the last 24-48 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

Not much time to let them properly publish them online. I doubt they're "refusing" to make them available online. Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 8:26am

Post #3 of 26 (482 views)
Shortcut
Mmmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they are, and maybe they aren't. The White Wizard will know best. lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 30 2012, 8:27am

Post #4 of 26 (501 views)
Shortcut
maybe you're too young... [In reply to] Can't Post

and you haven't experienced this 11 years before - but back in FotR-days it was the same way.
i remember a filmed tv-spot, where we had our first good view on barad-dur (the scene where gollum is being tortured)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2012, 8:29am

Post #5 of 26 (462 views)
Shortcut
Settle down, breathe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

They'll be up in HD soon enough. Let us not forget, we didn't exactly have this luxury ten years ago. I remember setting my VCRs to record whole hours of television on different channels for express purpose of trying to catch some tv spots. Laugh

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 8:37am

Post #6 of 26 (452 views)
Shortcut
But 11 years ago, the internet wasn't as "big" as it is today. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can understand why it would take them so long.

Though, it's nice to have TV spots that are actually debuting on TV ... and not on the internet!

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 8:43am

Post #7 of 26 (442 views)
Shortcut
Oh I remember. Visiting a relative, back in the old dialup days, and [In reply to] Can't Post

having to wait for an hour just to see the trailer. lol. I remember the bad old days of long waits, and watching shows I didn't even like to catch preview clips (it was a blessing whenever they promised a trailer with a show I DID enjoy, like The Simpsons lol). But here in the future, one doesn't expect to have to put up with such damned foolishness anymore. I've been spoiled by convenience. I want these last three spots (8 through 10 or 11 I believe) available in the same clear format as all the others, then to be carefully parsed by DarkJackal for further evaluation. lol.

In Reply To
and you haven't experienced this 11 years before - but back in FotR-days it was the same way.
i remember a filmed tv-spot, where we had our first good view on barad-dur (the scene where gollum is being tortured)

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Nov 30 2012, 8:46am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 8:48am

Post #8 of 26 (423 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind them airing on TV first. That is as it should be. [In reply to] Can't Post

But there advertising and internet people should have the ads ready to upload within at least several hours after the first round of television airings. A couple of these adds have been running for two days now, with no internet versions save the ones diehards have bootlegged.

In Reply To
I can understand why it would take them so long.

Though, it's nice to have TV spots that are actually debuting on TV ... and not on the internet!

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 8:58am

Post #9 of 26 (392 views)
Shortcut
No tv spots in NZ afaik [In reply to] Can't Post

How do they think we are going to know that AUJ even exists?

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 9:14am

Post #10 of 26 (420 views)
Shortcut
Pfft! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shush it, DanielCool!

AinurOlorin, and myself shall start a populist revolution DEMANDING these spots in HD!

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 9:16am

Post #11 of 26 (370 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
having to wait for an hour just to see the trailer. lol. I remember the bad old days of long waits, and watching shows I didn't even like to catch preview clips (it was a blessing whenever they promised a trailer with a show I DID enjoy, like The Simpsons lol). But here in the future, one doesn't expect to have to put up with such damned foolishness anymore. I've been spoiled by convenience. I want these last three spots (8 through 10 or 11 I believe) available in the same clear format as all the others, then to be carefully parsed by DarkJackal for further evaluation. lol.

In Reply To

I remember when I was in Colorado at my parent's Cabin in Twin Lakes (far from any decent sized city) and I waited 15 minutes for one page to load on TORN just so I could see a picture of a toy that turned out to be the old design for the witch-king armor. Obsessive much?

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 9:24am

Post #12 of 26 (358 views)
Shortcut
Lol. Well [In reply to] Can't Post

to quote that old Michael Jackson song, "You are not (or were not at any rate) alone!" I was right there with you in that obsessive hanging on, even if I was doing it on The East Coast while you were in the Midwest. lol

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I remember when I was in Colorado at my parent's Cabin in Twin Lakes (far from any decent sized city) and I waited 15 minutes for one page to load on TORN just so I could see a picture of a toy that turned out to be the old design for the witch-king armor. Obsessive much?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 9:38am

Post #13 of 26 (345 views)
Shortcut
What's the fun in that? [In reply to] Can't Post

Half the fun is pulling scraps of information together. Tongue

waaimasjien
Bree

Nov 30 2012, 9:46am

Post #14 of 26 (367 views)
Shortcut
My mash-up video on YouTube has been blocked now... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. which is of course Warner's right, but does seem kind of stupid since it's a trailer and it was way more epic than the second trailer, if I may say so myself.

So yes, I do agree Warner is making some weird decisions. Wink

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2012, 9:59am

Post #15 of 26 (370 views)
Shortcut
What's weirder is that they started removing trailers as well in the last couple of months [In reply to] Can't Post

An upload of the 2011 trailer with around 5 million views was pulled out of nowhere, as well as many others Unsure

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 10:09am

Post #16 of 26 (321 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
to quote that old Michael Jackson song, "You are not (or were not at any rate) alone!" I was right there with you in that obsessive hanging on, even if I was doing it on The East Coast while you were in the Midwest. lol

I'm almost 25 now, it's about 10 years later, and still doing the same thing. HAHA! I live in Louisiana, BTW. So most of my obsessiveness over the past decade has been in the south. Thankfully, however, the internet has changed quite a bit to allow us to spend more time actually looking at the stuff rather than waiting for it to load. LOL!

(This post was edited by redgiraffe on Nov 30 2012, 10:13am)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Nov 30 2012, 4:26pm

Post #17 of 26 (205 views)
Shortcut
Follow The Money [In reply to] Can't Post

Because old control freak studio execs still don't get the internet. You would think that free advertising (viral) would be appreciated if they've already released the material themselves. But no. I'd call them idiots, but I really don't know who loses money when advertisements are in a first-run situation and they get shown through other than official channels. Networks and TV stations? You have to follow the money to get these kinds of answers.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Nov 30 2012, 4:26pm)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 30 2012, 7:30pm

Post #18 of 26 (145 views)
Shortcut
That makes no sense [In reply to] Can't Post

The mashup trailer removal makes no sense either. I was just wondering, are you sure that WarnerBros. deleted them? Because I know that most of the soundtrack videos on youtube have been removed by something called INgrooves rather than WarnerBros., so I was wondering if something similar could be happening with the trailers.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 7:42pm

Post #19 of 26 (134 views)
Shortcut
Tv spots on tv? [In reply to] Can't Post

What on earth are you talking about? Tongue

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 30 2012, 7:42pm

Post #20 of 26 (135 views)
Shortcut
Access control [In reply to] Can't Post

They probably want people to have to come to their site(s) to watch the trailers so they can charge more for adspace.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 8:32pm

Post #21 of 26 (113 views)
Shortcut
It's a very dangerous concept! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 8:38pm

Post #22 of 26 (112 views)
Shortcut
It's too risky!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

MediaMalable
Bree

Nov 30 2012, 8:42pm

Post #23 of 26 (117 views)
Shortcut
The fat hobbit knows!!! He suspects! [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 30 2012, 8:47pm

Post #24 of 26 (101 views)
Shortcut
Next you'll tell me you can watch movies on a laptop! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 30 2012, 8:48pm

Post #25 of 26 (102 views)
Shortcut
Hehe ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.