Nov 29 2012, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 25 (1806 views)
Shortcut
An opinion from a casual viewer Can't Post

I caught this at another forum:

"A friend who saw it also emailed me to say:

All my fears were quickly washed away. This is as good as FOTR (my favorite)."

And:

" this is what my friend had to say about 48p (she has given me permission to post it):

"I was worried because the image is so clear it feels like watching a play. But it didn't take long before I stopped thinking about it. Actually that's not true. I thought about it a lot, about how incredible it looks. You have to experience it to understand. This is a new world of cinema."

I think the opinions of regular fans, cinema audiences are very important, more than newspaper critics. At least, to me.

What do you think?

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 1:59pm

Post #2 of 25 (893 views)
Shortcut
about HFR 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember watching Avatar for the first time in the cinema (my first 3D film) and I was blown away by the experience. I was convinced the film was awesome.

Then later, I watched the film on BluRay in 2D, and I suddenly realised how terrible the film actually was. I had been dazzled by the 3D and fooled into thinking I was watching a great film.

For this reason, I'm really tempted to have my first viewing of The Hobbit in 2D/24fps, so the story and performances aren't drowned out by pretty shiny things. I haven't decided yet.

* crunch *

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 25 (807 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the reason why i am seeing TH for the first time at 24fps/2D, just like Lotr.

Had a very similar experience.

When i watched avatar in 2D it was such a disappointmet. All of a sudden, the immersiveness, the amazing experience...it was gone.

Evidently, avatar is no great film,it has no grand story and characters, whilst the hobbit has.

So, 2D for me first, judge it and appreciate it as a piece of cinematic work just like any other film, then the new experience.

I want to fall in love with TH for what it is, without 3D or the special 48fps. Because it is what i think i should experience and also, because 48 fps 3D wont be available to me afterwards ...

But i am quite relieved with this person's comments on HFRs. Quite a new experience and a dazzling, special one on top of that, it seems.

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Nov 29 2012, 2:06pm)

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Nov 29 2012, 2:09pm

Post #4 of 25 (853 views)
Shortcut
Loving the fact [In reply to] Can't Post

that people think it holds up well against the trilogy.

No "WTF was that?!" Phantom Menace reactions thus far (which I've always thought was a bit of a forced comparison tbh)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 2:20pm

Post #5 of 25 (783 views)
Shortcut
2 Thingieszzz. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Critics are paid to Critisize!

2. Bomby will
Likely see it 7 times..so Bomby will
Start with the Midnight. SHOWING
then see it with friends ..
Maybe..in all the other
Formats.

Only. then able to be a Critic?
Bomby

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 2:24pm

Post #6 of 25 (773 views)
Shortcut
were the *first* reactions to Phantom Menace actually like that though? // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 29 2012, 2:29pm

Post #7 of 25 (720 views)
Shortcut
I'll watch it at least three times [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course... opinions are important but not enough for me. I will watch it at least three times:

1. Midnight screening with my family (3D/24 fps)

2. With my theatre group because we just finished our Hobbit stage play (3D/24 fps)

3. With a friend in a cinema that is able to show 48 fps (3D/48 fps)

And who knows how often I gonna watch it later after I realize how great or bad 3D/48 fps really is to me Wink

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Nov 29 2012, 2:32pm

Post #8 of 25 (734 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

They certainly were. One of my friends told me that Jar Jar Binks was like having Roger Rabbit in the movie. I was concerned, because I knew Gollum was going to be CG also, but he clarified. "No, I don't mean the CG looked like animation. I mean the CHARACTER was like having Roger Rabbit in a Star Wars movie". That was before it released here in Ireland. He had travelled to New York for the Opening night.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Nov 29 2012, 2:32pm

Post #9 of 25 (720 views)
Shortcut
Probably not [In reply to] Can't Post

They were probably hugely positive, actually. But hey, I'm just looking for reassurance wherever possible. Blush

But as much as I liked the Phantom Menace when it came out (there's a lot there for children), even I could tell that that kid couldn't act and that Jar-Jar sucked.

There may be negative reviews ahead but I'm just glad that nothing that awful has been picked up by the first viewers... at least not yet.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 2:58pm

Post #10 of 25 (626 views)
Shortcut
Could this have more to do with repeat viewings than 2D vs. 3D? [In reply to] Can't Post

How many times did you watch it in 3D in theaters?

I watched it three times (yeah, I know...) and by the third time, I was seeing more of the flaws in the movie. On the other hand, I liked it more the second time than the first.

And these reactions do say quite a bit about Cameron's expertise with 3D considering that other movies don't seem to have been helped by the technology.

(I've never watched Avatar in 2D, though. Not sure how good it is in 2D really matters as the film was meant to be shown in 3D. It'd be like watching a color movie in black-and-white.)

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 3:00pm

Post #11 of 25 (702 views)
Shortcut
As a person who was a moderator on the official Star Wars boards at the time... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can tell you that they were not all positive. Jar Jar horror was immediately felt, unfortunately. Sad times.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 29 2012, 3:09pm

Post #12 of 25 (589 views)
Shortcut
I was blown away by Avatar's visuals [In reply to] Can't Post

but not at all by the story. It left me amazed with how beautiful it looked but I had zero emotional connection with the story. Hoping very much that TH will be different, and I'm confident it will be, given the ability of all three LOTR films to reduce me to a blubbering wreck (ask Draupne or Hengist just how long it took me to stop crying after our viewing of ROTK).

Storm clouds

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 29 2012, 3:09pm

Post #13 of 25 (606 views)
Shortcut
it's another reason I'm worried about [In reply to] Can't Post

saying HFR or 3D is amazing that cant guarantee it's a good Movie. I watched Avatar first time in 2D traditional and I feel it's ok, just ok. because of the battle scene. the story is so cliche and so pochahontus. but most ppl who see it in 3D praise the movie.I hope the same effect would not happend in AUJ. technology, story, acting should all be good.

(This post was edited by Wordofmask on Nov 29 2012, 3:11pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 3:30pm

Post #14 of 25 (614 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

said at the premiere that he believes TH is better than Lotr and that peter has surpassed himself.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 3:40pm

Post #15 of 25 (526 views)
Shortcut
Completey unbiased opinion there! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 3:49pm

Post #16 of 25 (489 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

But he could just say that its brilliant, greta film etc...He said, he personally thinks its better than Lotr.

I think that matters something.

imin
Valinor

Nov 29 2012, 3:52pm

Post #17 of 25 (463 views)
Shortcut
Haha, exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though even though he is completely biased, i hope it also turns out to be true, lol.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 4:31pm

Post #18 of 25 (444 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the opinions of the fans are important [In reply to] Can't Post

though one must always remember than we fans are each biased towards our own views of the original work. Someone might want to use AUJ as a toilet wipe, while someone else might love it to death.

That being said, the fan considering FotR as her favourite of the LotR trilogy at least proves she has good taste. (And that's my biased thinking. Wink)

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 4:39pm

Post #19 of 25 (401 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

I once showed the 1st trailer to someone who reacted by saying : Piece of s**t,...CrazyMad

But i menat not just readers of tolkien or viewers of lotr ( most of them are not fans) but the majority of the audience, casual viewers. And i say this because after spending years reading critics of cinema, i have learnt that one can hardly find a more bitter, sour, clinical and set in their ways crowd.

So, i usually prefer to read or listen to the common peoples reviews ...like us Wink

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Nov 29 2012, 4:39pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 4:43pm

Post #20 of 25 (394 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Me too. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I also liked FOTR the best of the 3.

This is reassuring, because an opinion in that vein makes me think it really s about the story, not the 48p, even though she enjoyed that too. Makes me feel even better about seeing it first in 2D before trying out a 3D showing. Smile

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 4:58pm

Post #21 of 25 (372 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I once showed the 1st trailer to someone who reacted by saying : Piece of s**t,...CrazyMad

Does this person you showed it to have a soul?

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 29 2012, 5:10pm

Post #22 of 25 (348 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

fellowship bores him, hobbits bore him, mildly enjoys ttts because of the action and battle themes, thought rotk was another piece of s.... and then one day i caught him watching it...mainly the battle scenes...

That someone sees and hears that beautifull trailer and song and feels absolutely nothing...well, there is nothing magical on their soul, i think.

I dont think this person takes any fantasy subject seriously.

But yes , he has a soul. Although, at times...sigh

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Nov 29 2012, 5:12pm)

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 8:58pm

Post #23 of 25 (184 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

However, even if TH is better than LOTR (FOTR in particular) I can't see myself liking it more. FOTR completely captivated me. It was my first proper introduction to the story and it felt so mysterious and ethereal. I immediately wanted to delve into Tolkiens world and all his books.

I just can't see this movie re-creating that childhood sense of wonder an amazement. I was 11 when I saw FOTR and I'm 22 now. I will be beyond happy if the films quality is on par with FOTR, but I'm not expecting it to have the same impact on me. There's simply no way it can do that.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 29 2012, 9:48pm

Post #24 of 25 (167 views)
Shortcut
How come a "casual viewer" got to see the film over us?! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

totoro
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 4:59am

Post #25 of 25 (106 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know that was "opinion" [In reply to] Can't Post

Hasn't it been scientifically proven that FotR is the best of the 3? Coulda sworn I saw the research somewhere.

In Reply To
I also liked FOTR the best of the 3.

This is reassuring, because an opinion in that vein makes me think it really s about the story, not the 48p, even though she enjoyed that too. Makes me feel even better about seeing it first in 2D before trying out a 3D showing. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.