Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Laugh for the day: "Replyallcalypse"!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 28 2012, 11:30pm

Post #1 of 16 (183 views)
Shortcut
Laugh for the day: "Replyallcalypse"! Can't Post

Or (with apologies to John Denver):

"Aye, calypse, so we might come to fear it;
The button we used for so long and so well."

http://digitallife.today.com/...ng-embarrassing?lite

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 2:04am

Post #2 of 16 (94 views)
Shortcut
ha! I haven't done that one, but I have gad a few bad smaller moments... [In reply to] Can't Post

One time I accidentally copied a reporter on an email I was sending to a friend that including a few remarks I sure did not want the reporter to see!

She did a great job of letting me know, in her reply, that I was out of line but would not make an issue out of it...nothing like doing something embarrassing to help you learn your email manners...

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 29 2012, 2:46am

Post #3 of 16 (84 views)
Shortcut
I've gotten very paranoid about any comments I don't want repeated in an email [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't accidentally sent something to the wrong person but I've had personal comments made to one person copied in an email that person sent to another. I don't mean maliciously copied. It's more like, in communicating partly to larger groups and partly to smaller groups and partly to individuals, people will sometimes take an email in their box and use it to reply to a larger group than was included in the original email. Or they think someone needs to be brought in so they include them in their reply... even though the copied parts in the original email were not intended for a wider audience.

So, unless I'm talking to someone who is totally 100% reliably going to keep the conversation one to one... I don't 'go there'.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 1:47pm

Post #4 of 16 (86 views)
Shortcut
I have learned nobody is 100% reliable [In reply to] Can't Post

I once did a message to my boss, a stellar guy, which included an unfortunate word. He replied to me, but then copied that reply later to a larger audience not realizing he included my original message with the unfortunate word.

So everyone saw it and I got called "unprofessional". I had to bow and scrape, which was totally justified, but more than that I felt bad that the person described by the unfortunate word saw it, because I actually have a lot of respect for that person.

So even a normally reliable confidant can spill your beans. Now I go by the rule, "What would the CEO think (or my mother) if they saw this?" And I don't put it in writing.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 29 2012, 2:48pm

Post #5 of 16 (74 views)
Shortcut
well... my 100% safe limit is reached... [In reply to] Can't Post

mostly when talking to a friend who has no idea who I'm talking about (other than what context I provide her) and no connection at all to the people I'm talking about. (These would be in my closest circle of friends who I whinge to about workmates or other friends they don't know).

If there is any connection - in any manner - and/or the person knows who I'm talking about - I try to just stay clear of any potentially unfortunate comments.

I am uber careful about work emails. I'm uber careful about sitting in someone's office at work and confiding. Even when I consider that person my friend. :-)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 2:49pm

Post #6 of 16 (66 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear! [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband was a member of an e-mail group chatting about gardening. Two of the other members got into an argument---without realizing their "reply" buttons were sending their messages to the entire group, not just to each other. He had to tell them, gently, that their disagreement had gone public!

I learned my lesson when I made a comment about someone and then came *this far* from sending a long string of subsequent messages including that comment back to the person I was commenting on. Whew!

There's a whole new field of etiquette opening up.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 29 2012, 3:08pm

Post #7 of 16 (121 views)
Shortcut
*Gulp* I still cringe to this day ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In my teenage years a "friend" overheard a few home truths from myself and 3 others.

We we're abroad on fieldwork for a University course, and as teenagers ... you moan a lot about friends to friends. Myself and 3 others were sat in a communal seating area of a hotel, having a drink, and having a good old moan about this other person.

It was nothing nasty at all. We weren't being rude, or malicious, we were just discussing how a year previously, this girl and another friend had lived together, fallen out over a boy, and had never spoken since. We were moaning about the whole situation, and how ridiculous it was.

Unknown to us, the girl we were moaning about was sat round the corner by herself listening to the whole thing. And it wasn't a brief conversation either ... atleast a 45 minute conversation. Why she let us carry on for that long I don't know. I would have got up and made it clear I could hear. We only realised when someone else told us where she was.

You could cut the atmosphere with a knife for the rest of the trip. She never spoke to me after that ...

I learnt my lesson, that's for sure. And it still makes me cringe.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 29 2012, 5:14pm

Post #8 of 16 (76 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to a drop-down list, I professed my love to Calisuri one day [In reply to] Can't Post

His name is next on the list after my husband, BGs, in my gmail account. I accidentally clicked on his name thinking I was sending an email to my husband, ending it with I LOVE YOU, a few other terms of endearment and a few heart emoticons, lol. Laugh When he emailed me back, I was mortified at first, but he's a good friend and said he thought how BG and I communicate with each other was very sweet. Thank goodness all the email said otherwise was that I planned to leave work later than usual. Otherwise, it could have been *quite* embarrassing. BlushWink

Did I mention I never use the drop-down list anymore? Though, one can get themselves into the same trouble with applications that automatically offer suggestions. It's definitely become one of those times *not* to rush things.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 29 2012, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 16 (50 views)
Shortcut
It all sounds quite sensible! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 7:07pm

Post #10 of 16 (69 views)
Shortcut
I haven't actually done this, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I've caught myself a few times before signing off a business e-mail with "Love, Karen". Or saying "love you" at the end of a business phone conversation. Apparently it's not that uncommon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 29 2012, 9:41pm

Post #11 of 16 (81 views)
Shortcut
O.K. that's the prizewinner! (So far at least :D ) [In reply to] Can't Post

But at least it was a nice message!

I'm starting to think the only secure way to send messages is by Pony Express with a blindfolded rider . . .

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 29 2012, 11:45pm

Post #12 of 16 (66 views)
Shortcut
Aunt Dora.. you have been spared (I hope) ... [In reply to] Can't Post

from receiving emails intended for my son. His first name starts the same as your last name so your email address always pops up when I start to type his name in the 'to' list.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 11:56pm

Post #13 of 16 (43 views)
Shortcut
That's good to know. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I ever receive anything from you that sounds like it was meant for someone entirely else, I'll understand. So far I haven't gotten anything like that from you.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 29 2012, 11:58pm

Post #14 of 16 (90 views)
Shortcut
Nice to know [In reply to] Can't Post

that these things can still happen the old-fashioned way, and aren't dependent on e-mail or social media. Your story sounds like something out of a Jane Austen novel.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 30 2012, 2:49pm

Post #15 of 16 (35 views)
Shortcut
I learned this lesson the hard way [In reply to] Can't Post

In my grad school cohort, there was one woman who always sat at the back of the room and spent the entire day on the Internet or playing solitaire. Her participation in class, when she was forced to it, made it clear to the rest of us that she was clueless about the subject matter. (We never understood how she passed any classes until we found out that she very nearly did flunk out and was on probation most of the first year, and that another class member helped her with her papers.) One day, someone who had missed a session sent out an e-mail requesting copies of notes. This person replied that she would share hers; the requesting person thanked her but asked once again if any of the rest of us would help her. I meant to reply just to her but replied to everyone instead and made some jocular remark about "what, you don't trust that Deb could take good notes while answering her e-mails or looking up guys on match.com?" Oops.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Laerasyn
Bree

Nov 30 2012, 10:54pm

Post #16 of 16 (86 views)
Shortcut
This same thing happened at my school once... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was at Grove City College in PA, this exact same thing happened. We didn't have as many people as NYU, but it was still hilarious. I don't remember what message started it, but pretty soon everyone's inbox was being flooded with all kinds of nonsense. My roommates and I sat at our computers watching it happen, trying to figure out what was going on.
Those who replied all got in serious trouble- I had a poor unsuspecting friend who thought this was coming from a mailing list or group he belonged to or something, and replied with a long, witty diatribe in response to a comment someone had made offhand in one of their replies. It went on his permanent record; he was not pleased. Apparently this happened to quite a few people.

The funniest part to me was that, although some people like my friend were just confused, some people knew exactly what they were doing and exactly what the consequences would be. People would respond with things like "You guys know that the whole school can read these, right? You are all going to get in serious trouble, and I will laugh when you do!" Crazy To this day, I just really want to know what those people were thinking.

Also, I wish we had come up with the term "Replyallcalypse."

'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house.'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.