Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So what about the Kiwis that dislike LotR/TH?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 9:02pm

Post #1 of 19 (332 views)
Shortcut
So what about the Kiwis that dislike LotR/TH? Can't Post

From what I'm gathering, Kiwis are being pretty much forcefed with TH. Does this cause many counter reactions in people who either dislike or do not care about the films?

Because I can imagine my dad as a Kiwi, frowning and huffing and puffing at the telly, newspapers and everything Hobbittian, being annoyed beyond belief by all these stupid hairy elves and whatnots he can't avoid. Cool

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

imin
Valinor

Nov 27 2012, 10:22pm

Post #2 of 19 (199 views)
Shortcut
They get sued by WB? [In reply to] Can't Post

I dunno i think you could avoid it if you didnt like it. I imagine it would be the same (but worse) if one is a New Zealander who dislikes rugby! Imagine that!

I think loads of teens will dislike it just to try and be cool as there is always some kind of backlash is something is forced upon a group.

How much media coverage is it getting, i have no idea, it could just be we think they are getting more as TORn keeps highlighting all the press, where as in the country you might not notice.

Also hasnt everyone in NZ been an extra or knew someone who has? PJ said something to that effect in those Sunrise interviews today. I think if i were an extra i would be happy to see the film do well.

Hopefully everyone is just Tolkien/ME/PJ mad! Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 4:33am

Post #3 of 19 (201 views)
Shortcut
In my workplace today [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a very unscientific poll. Within our staff of around 45 people, there are two of us who are interested/excited. Of the rest I would say there is a mixture of: indifferent, slightly interested, and downright hostile.
We are getting wall to wall coverage and people who aren't interested are totally sick of it.
When I ask people if they have seen LOTR, roughly half have seen it, and it is very common for people to say they found it boring and fell asleep.

It might be hard to imagine on this site, but Kiwis are not all fans by any means.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 5:51am

Post #4 of 19 (171 views)
Shortcut
And here is a more scientific poll than mine [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew there had been one recently, but I just had to do some digging.

Here it is.

18% following the build up closely, and the story ranking 108th out of 112 for interest in news stories is kind of similar to my unscientific workplace poll.

alienorchid
Lorien

Nov 28 2012, 6:54am

Post #5 of 19 (166 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I like LotR and TH but I've been pretty sick of all the marketing, it's just so saturated, and I remember feeling the same when LotR was coming out.

I also feel kind of sad that a lot of people only see NZ as Middle Earth, and not as a beautiful country in it's own right (though of course there are many, many who do!).

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 7:06am

Post #6 of 19 (164 views)
Shortcut
John Key wearing an elf ear [In reply to] Can't Post

has been my low point so far. Crazy

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 28 2012, 7:24am

Post #7 of 19 (168 views)
Shortcut
So, what's the problem in Christchurch? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those over 60 years old, those in Christchurch and those who earn under $30k were less optimistic.

Because they have higher priority issues to deal with? What do you think?

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 7:49am

Post #8 of 19 (177 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

If you still don't have a functioning toilet, getting excited about a red carpet is probably a low priority.
Many people here are totally consumed by major insurance issues, stress, accommodation problems, repairs and rebuilds (happening or non-existent), not to mention the ongoing problems with our smashed up infrastructure.
That would be my guess anyway.
Also, some people I talked to today at work see it as a Wellington thing.

I'm not sure about the over 60's and people who earn under $30 though. Perhaps they are just busy getting through the day. Maybe Kiwis over 60 don't really dig the red carpet scene. They are probably sitting in their chairs reading The Hobbit. Wink

alienorchid
Lorien

Nov 28 2012, 10:32am

Post #9 of 19 (149 views)
Shortcut
John Key in general was a pretty low point for me today [In reply to] Can't Post

and also just .. all the time..

Rolfina
Rivendell

Nov 28 2012, 10:40am

Post #10 of 19 (166 views)
Shortcut
Did you notice how PJ specifically said to Key he hoped he'd enjoy this movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

And the crowd gave an excellent reaction to that, apparently he couldn't be bothered with the book, NOR two of the LotR films.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 4:51pm

Post #11 of 19 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear ya.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2012, 7:00pm

Post #12 of 19 (130 views)
Shortcut
NZ will always be the islands of awesome birds to me! // [In reply to] Can't Post

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

diedye
Grey Havens

Nov 28 2012, 9:30pm

Post #13 of 19 (115 views)
Shortcut
All I could think of when someone said New Zealand was... [In reply to] Can't Post

... SHEEP!

Blessed are the cracked,
For they are the ones who let in the light!

kiwifan
Rohan

Nov 28 2012, 11:31pm

Post #14 of 19 (109 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I feel like that, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I wrote something to that effect about half a year in some post or other, don't remember when or where (my wretched memory), because it has seemed to me for a long time now that the tourism people are milking the LotR films and now, even more so, the Hobbit films, for what it's worth, never mind all the non-Hobbits who still live in NZ. You'll be inundated with planeloads of Chinese from the so-called People's Republic (some of which may end up buying up the country --- call me a pessimist if you like but they're doing it elsewhere as well --- or maybe those buyers won't be among the planeloads of tourists but you get my drift). I wish you'll still get some tourists who want to experience NZ (stunning countryside, lovely people, unique atmosphere) for its own worth!

It's exactly twenty years now since I had the great good fortune to travel in NZ for some thirtyodd days, long before all the LotR hype, when the country was still untouched by it, because it had been my dream country for decades, and though it sounds sacrilegious, if I had the chance to return (extremely unlikely due to ill health and lack of funds), I wouldn't want to go on a 'pilgrimage' to all the film locations, more likely would avoid them because I want to keep NZ and the films separate.

So don't let the media and the tourism people mess up your national identity!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 29 2012, 1:49am

Post #15 of 19 (117 views)
Shortcut
It's inevitable that some don't agree with it. [In reply to] Can't Post

As with anything, the higher the headcount, the higher the differences. Something as simple as these Boards... The Hobbit Movie Board is the best example. We're all here because we appreciate Tolkien. Whether it's because of Jackson's films or the books... it can be assumed we all are here because of that common bond. BUT you'll see all sorts of opinions and attitudes about any given subject spawned from Tolkien's/Jackson's work.

T'is the way of society. There's no way everyone will be happy... but that's okay :) If we all agreed, there wouldn't be so many interesting debates :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Malveth
Rivendell

Nov 29 2012, 2:36am

Post #16 of 19 (98 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll move to NZ!! Wink

willowing
Lorien

Nov 29 2012, 7:24am

Post #17 of 19 (112 views)
Shortcut
An Evening To Remember [In reply to] Can't Post

A big salute to the pass year from the start of the filming of The Hobbit to its completion.

I am happy that The Hobbit was completed on time.

Judging by the reactions to The Hobbit premiere I am happy that it was a success.

Went along with those who cared to, down to Courtenay Place to join in the fun and the fanfare and support everyone involved with the filming.

Made my day this, I along with many others were standing behind the Bag End stage and watched many of the stars enter the tent before appearing on stage through the big round green door.

Cool

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 29 2012, 10:40am

Post #18 of 19 (116 views)
Shortcut
But I think by coming because of Tolkien ... [In reply to] Can't Post

they'll discover the rest of the country too - hopefully. After all if you visit Matamata you might as well go to Rotorua as well, and while I found Rotorua a bit faded-70s in the way some of the Yorkshire seaside towns are faded-70s (Scarborough, I'm looking at you) there is stuff in and around Rotorua that gives a flavour of the history and culture of NZ, like Lake Tarawera and Whakarewarewa - I didn't expect to enjoy Whakarewarewa much at all, I thought it would be all touristy-gimmicky, but actually I felt that it was a genuine effort to preserve Maori culture. And then if you go south for Queenstown and the locations round there you can't miss the rest of the stunning landscape. The only real LOTR-connected "trip" I did (ie with a guide) during my two years in NZ was a trip to Edoras/Mt Sunday, but because I did it in October outside top tourist season I was the only person on it. My brilliant driver/guide said "so what do you want to do" and as well as taking me up Mt Sunday drove me round the local sheep farms and talked me through sheep farming up there in the hills. I got so much more out of that day than just pretending to be Eowyn on the hilltop. Smile

Storm clouds

alienorchid
Lorien

Nov 30 2012, 3:26am

Post #19 of 19 (119 views)
Shortcut
In the long run [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that NZ will be seen as just Middle Earth. There seem to be a lot of people around at the moment who just want to come here because of the films and there will always be a small percentage of film fans who do, but I reckon for the majority of people who visit this country or wish to visit it, the film locations are just a bonus. After the hype dies down, I don't think TH will be a huge deal for most visitors who come here.

I grew up in a town that had a huge tourist boom and back then, when I was a child in the 90s, we'd still be inundated with plane-loads of tourists from asian countries (and they were buying land and businesses back then, too). Then later, after LotR, I worked in the tourism industry and I found that most people came to NZ for hiking, adventure sports, and pristine untouched landscapes.

It will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years, but no one film or band, or TV show, or anything is going to change what NZ is for me, which is Home (despite being frustrated by numerous things in our culture and politics!)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.