Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Thank you guys

xMb
The Shire

Nov 27 2012, 12:13am

Post #1 of 16 (195 views)
Shortcut
Thank you guys Can't Post

I don't post as often as others, but I just wanted to extend my gratitude and love for this site/ forum... I decided to pop over to imdb and quickly remembered why I finally stopped going there and posting and finally signed up to TORn after years of quietly reading and observing.

You're all such a cheery and pleasant group of people :)

Heart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 1:48am

Post #2 of 16 (96 views)
Shortcut
Isn't this place great! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy you've found your way here and enjoy how special it is. I did the same thing as you...visited and never left ;)

Cheers, xMb!!!

*high five*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

zarabia
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2012, 2:33am

Post #3 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
Glad you found your way here :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel the same way! Smile It was just about this time last year when I started looking around at the different LOTR/Tolkien sites, and I was so disappointed. I couldn't believe the posters had ever actually read Tolkien or paid any attention to the films. Oh, they knew facts about LOTR, but they didn't seem to get the spirit of Tolkien; they were so awful to each other.Shocked When I finally came across TORn, it was like the proverbial breath of fresh air. These people not only know the details of Tolkien, they "get it". The mods and long-time posters have really set a wonderful, respectful tone where everyone can feel comfortable and welcome.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 27 2012, 3:20am

Post #4 of 16 (91 views)
Shortcut
*gives xMb a hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

You're a hobbit-in-heart - and we're glad you're here, too! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 27 2012, 3:55am

Post #5 of 16 (90 views)
Shortcut
Why thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to welcome kindred spirits. Hope you continue to enjoy yourself here!Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 27 2012, 5:09am

Post #6 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
Welcome xMb! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hopelessly biased, of course Angelic, but I do consider TORn a breath of fresh air compared to some parts of the internet. I'm glad you found us and look forward to reading many more of your posts. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 1:16pm

Post #7 of 16 (59 views)
Shortcut
*virtual hug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear you like it here!

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

xMb
The Shire

Nov 27 2012, 3:39pm

Post #8 of 16 (67 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks guys! It really is a whole other world here compared to the other sites.. so much anger and hatred hahah

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 27 2012, 5:06pm

Post #9 of 16 (52 views)
Shortcut
And thank *you*! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a special place, and you add to it.

One thing we have that imdb doesn't have is our beaters of the bounds (admins), who are on constant troll hunts. On the rare occasions when one of them has corrected me on something, I've thanked them, because I know that this place wouldn't be the kindly place it is without them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Tintallė
Gondor

Nov 27 2012, 7:19pm

Post #10 of 16 (67 views)
Shortcut
*raises eyebrows* There are other websites? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely not!

Is there really any other place to be if you love all things Tolkien? Nope!

Glad you found TORn! Glad you're here! Glad you're glad about it!

Ettelewen
Lorien

Nov 27 2012, 8:40pm

Post #11 of 16 (55 views)
Shortcut
Me too, xMb! [In reply to] Can't Post

When my day gets hectic I love to pop over here to relax for a few minutes. Here I can participate - or just sit on the sidelines and observe - in a (usually) civilized conversations on some of my favorite topics.

Many thanks to all.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 8:58pm

Post #12 of 16 (56 views)
Shortcut
TORn really is the best place [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's all the users that make it so special and different from other forums. It's a savage place out there!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

kiwifan
Rohan

Nov 28 2012, 11:37pm

Post #13 of 16 (33 views)
Shortcut
I'm amazed [In reply to] Can't Post

to read that you needed correcting, Aunt Dora, of all people! Blush

But then I'm not an admin and wouldn't know!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 28 2012, 11:46pm

Post #14 of 16 (33 views)
Shortcut
*Hee!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Back in about 2002 I got scolded by Xoanon himself for posting a link to my website. He said "If you're going to advertise, you should pay for it." So I've tried to make donations to TORn from time to time ever since. Blush

And then there have been a few regrettable times when I've lost my temper. I have a long fuse, but when it goes off I'm not at all myself. I've said a few things through the years that I regret, and I was glad when someone stepped in and reminded me to be more kind.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Nov 28 2012, 11:57pm

Post #15 of 16 (29 views)
Shortcut
It's soooo friendly here [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been other forums I've frequented, but this is by far the friendliest of them all. The majority of them are just offensive and rude. Compared to them, TORn sticks out like a sore thumb (in the best way! Smile).

A part of it being so friendly is the forum structure, I think. At first I didn't like it - the threaded vs. flat modes - but now I love it. It makes having a conversation with someone so much easier. We're not just a bunch of random posts compiled in a long line, we're people having conversations with others about things we care about.

I hope you'll stick around and enjoy it here.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

kiwifan
Rohan

Nov 28 2012, 11:58pm

Post #16 of 16 (63 views)
Shortcut
Uh, there are some --- a few --- a very, very few --- in fact a minuscule number of [In reply to] Can't Post

somewhat let's say, occasionally curmudgeonly types here, too, at times (me, for instance) --- but then you also need shadow to better appreciate the light! Wink

At any rate, welcome to the greatest Tolkien fan community on the planet!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.