Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Where is Gandalf during the Trollshaws episode?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2012, 9:28pm

Post #1 of 41 (1135 views)
Shortcut
Where is Gandalf during the Trollshaws episode? Can't Post

Have we any clues from what we have seen so far?

He definitely isn't in the Tombs (as he had his sword for this) and somehow it doesn't seem very Jacksonian to simply have him disappear.

Do we have any hints we can pool?

LR

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 9:30pm

Post #2 of 41 (617 views)
Shortcut
How do we know he has his sword for the tomb sequence? [In reply to] Can't Post

He appears only to have his staff in hand during those scenes, though I suppose he could have Glamdring sheathed beneath his robe.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 26 2012, 9:35pm

Post #3 of 41 (617 views)
Shortcut
Assuming he isn't searching tombs, or talking to Radagast, there might be two options. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Making sure the road ahead is clear. The abandoned farmhouse is an indication that something isn't quite right. Perhaps he goes ahead, to scout out the Wargs they later encounter, and failing to notice the Trolls just metres away?

2. Enters Rivendell, to warn Elrond of the Dwarves arrival?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2012, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 41 (617 views)
Shortcut
If you watch it on a bright screen you can see it clearly. [In reply to] Can't Post

The sheath behind him, close to the wall on his left hand side.

Interstingly it made me realise how much darker my iPad is than my laptop.

LR

You might be able to see it here - if it works.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a617/Lacrimaererum/Gandalf.png

(This post was edited by Lacrimae Rerum on Nov 26 2012, 9:40pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 9:44pm

Post #5 of 41 (566 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm perplexed [In reply to] Can't Post

I con't think of what he could be doing other than scouting ahead, but that seems too repetitive given it'll likely be the excuse he gives when he wanders off in search of the crypt.

Do you think he'll be in the crypt while the Wargs attack the rest of the company? Perhaps he will arrive with the elves to save the day?

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 9:45pm

Post #6 of 41 (565 views)
Shortcut
I have a vague memory of reading [In reply to] Can't Post

that he and Thorin have a serious argument over whether or not they should go to Rivendell. Obviously, Thorin has no desire to associate with all those elves. The argument is so bad that they part company.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 9:46pm

Post #7 of 41 (539 views)
Shortcut
Huh [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I would posit one of the following:
-That isn't a sword, it's just a fold in his cloak that looks like one
-That's a different sword that he uses before he finds Glamdring
-That isn't the tomb scene

He definitely has the Morgul blade at Rivendell, so if none of the above hold, then he must either leave straight for the tomb after retrieving Glamdring, or take a side trip there while the dwarves are resting in Rivendell.

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 26 2012, 9:55pm

Post #8 of 41 (497 views)
Shortcut
Is that Glamdring sheaved ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or are you just happy to see me ?

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2012, 10:15pm

Post #9 of 41 (463 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he will just dissapear ... it's within the Jacksonian realm of possibility no? // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 10:15pm

Post #10 of 41 (482 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf disapears as they're walking [In reply to] Can't Post

in the rain, near the beginning of the journey. The Company crosses a bridge, then they stop for supper and realize Gandalf isn't with them. They can't start a fire--"Just when a Wizard would have been most useful, too"--then the Troll adventure begins.

After the incident, Thorin asks Gandalf where he has been. "To look ahead" he replies.

I won't quote the whole portion of the conversation, but that's basically it.

Smile

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.
"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2012, 10:23pm

Post #11 of 41 (460 views)
Shortcut
Well it's definitively a sword [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 100% on that. I don't think he has another sword prior to the trolls (as we don't see him with a sword prior to that point). And it is definitely the tombs as the recent WETA book spoilers confirm that.

I'm a bit puzzled by the hobbit storybook as that suggests that Gandalf is with the dwarves during the first warg attack.

Hmmmm......

LR

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 10:45pm

Post #12 of 41 (434 views)
Shortcut
Ah! Are we talking about what might have happened in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

or what PJ will suggest has happened in the film? I am talking about the film, where, I believe, PJ instigates an argument between Gandalf and Thorin.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 10:53pm

Post #13 of 41 (422 views)
Shortcut
I Beg Your Pardon :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You mentioned "reading" so I automatically went to the book.

An argument, you say?

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.
"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 11:05pm

Post #14 of 41 (406 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I had forgotten, but various interviews have suggested an increasingly combative relationship between Gandalf and Thorin

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 11:06pm

Post #15 of 41 (420 views)
Shortcut
Yep your screenshot leaves me without a doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling the chronology of the film's first hour and a half will be a bit of a mess.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 11:10pm

Post #16 of 41 (408 views)
Shortcut
If all that's true [In reply to] Can't Post

then Gandalf must simply be scouting ahead during the troll episode, and maybe it is the presence of the trolls or the contents of their hoard that clues him in that something Nazgul-y is going on. Maybe he returns just in time to save them from the wargs, though that would make three such incidents in the first film alone.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2012, 11:16pm

Post #17 of 41 (381 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure it can be during the wargs [In reply to] Can't Post

As the storybook quotes him at the start of the warg attack ("Arm yourselves!") and at the end when they enter Rivendell.

I can't quite concieve of Gandalf nipping off to the tombs mid-fight.

LR

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 11:18pm

Post #18 of 41 (389 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is an argument. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking back and I'm sure that some journalist (from Empire?) was allowed on set right at the beginning of filming and he saw PJ directing a scene between Thorin and Gandalf. Gandalf wants to take refuge in Rivendell and Thorin refuses. Tolkien gives no real reason for Gandalf's disappearance so PJ invents (quite a good) one, IMO.

We've been told recently that Thorin's relationship with Gandalf deteriorates.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Nov 27 2012, 12:34am

Post #19 of 41 (347 views)
Shortcut
He ran back to Bree for a pint at the Prancing Pony. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 12:55am

Post #20 of 41 (319 views)
Shortcut
Option 1 seems likely to me, however [In reply to] Can't Post

wasn't there someone who recently said the WETA books states the King's Tomb is searched before the Trollshaw episode?

Perhaps Gandalf originally has a different sword, which he later trades in for the identical Glamdring? Tongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 27 2012, 1:00am

Post #21 of 41 (326 views)
Shortcut
But none of it adds up... [In reply to] Can't Post

The tomb sequence which the writers seem to have invented specifically for the purpose of explaining Gandalf's absence in the Trollshaws now doesn't appear to fit into that time slot. Another sequence expanded upon in the movie will be the Thrain-Gandalf encounter in Dol Guldur, which should really happen in flashback to show Gandalf retrieving the key and map, now looks like it may be pushed back to film two, since Gandalf has Orcrist in both of these scenes.

I guess we won't really know how all these things fit into the bigger picture until the release!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2012, 3:36am

Post #22 of 41 (294 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps: [In reply to] Can't Post

-Gandy goes scouting ahead, finds the abandoned farmhouse or other evidence of the Trolls, returns to save the Dwarves from Bill, Tom & Bert

-Raddy catches up to them outside the Trollshaw/troll-hoarde, fills Gandy in on what's happening in Mirkwood, Gandy has just obtained Glamdring, he convinces Thorin to seek refuge in Rivendell, Gandy and Raddy go off to investigate the King's Tomb...though this doesn't gel with some of the described footage such as Raddy popping up unexpectedly in the tomb, Gandy going "Oh, it's you"...perhaps footage from the tomb and Dol Guldur were spliced together in the Comic-Con presentation? Another possibility is that re-writes/re-shoots/editing have greatly changed this sequence of events, so what was screened will differ from the final film (this seems somewhat inevitable, IMO).

-Gandy finds the Morgul blade in the Tomb, realizes evil is afoot, returns to the Trollshaw as the Wargs arrive, yells his "Arm yourselves" line, the Company are pursued to Rivendell and saved by Elrond's riders?

Another possibility is simply that Gandy trades in swords at the Trollshaw. Maybe he likes Glamdring better...? That would mirror Thorin's "Axe Or Sword" decision.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 27 2012, 3:41am)

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 7:53am

Post #23 of 41 (217 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Glamdring won't be found in the troll horde? [In reply to] Can't Post

He might actually find it in the nazgul tombs.

Or he may have had a sword at the start, but kept it in the baggage, rather than wearing it. Dwarves may turn up to a party in the Shire fully armed, but a wizard knows better.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 8:12am

Post #24 of 41 (214 views)
Shortcut
Isn't Radagast present during the argument as well? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2012, 9:58am

Post #25 of 41 (185 views)
Shortcut
Good thought but he definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

Finds it in the troll treasure - we have had multiple confirmations of that.

LR

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.