Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit U.S. MPAA rating: Anyone have any insight?

Anduneglin

Nov 26 2012, 9:04pm

Post #1 of 15 (754 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit U.S. MPAA rating: Anyone have any insight? Can't Post

The trailers for "The Hobbit, an Unexpected Journey" still say that the film has not yet been rated (by the U.S. MPAA) as of today, November 26, 2012, with fewer than 3 weeks to the U.S. opening.

Does anyone know anything about what's going on with the U.S. MPAA rating?

(This makes a big difference as to whether and which of my 11, 7 and/or 5 year-olds are going to take any of my already-purchased tickets, if the wrangling, as I would expect, was between a PG-13 and straight PG rating.)

(Also, sorry if this has already been discussed. Seached the web and these message boards, but didn't locate anything relevant and recent.)

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 9:07pm

Post #2 of 15 (401 views)
Shortcut
Here in the UK all trailers are rated [In reply to] Can't Post

The trailer for the hobbit got a 12a, which is like your pg-13, so expect a pg-13

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Anduneglin

Nov 26 2012, 9:12pm

Post #3 of 15 (344 views)
Shortcut
Failed to note Trailer rating [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe our MPAA system distinguishes between the rating for the trailer and that for the film. I've seen the trailer for an "R" (restricted -- no children under 17 unless acompanied by adult) rated film given a PG-13 rating. And of course I failed to note the trailer rating in any event. But given the GDT influence and the same orcs, wargs, trolls, etc., from LoTR, I would tend to agree with you in any event, even in the adaptation of a childrens' book -- thanks.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 9:18pm

Post #4 of 15 (381 views)
Shortcut
PG-13 [In reply to] Can't Post

The films will be rated PG13, same as LotR--this was in the contract, as I recall. AUJ hasn't been rated yet because it was only just finished. If the ratings people have any serious issues, WB will change the content before they accept an R rating.

Elutherian
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 9:26pm

Post #5 of 15 (369 views)
Shortcut
I always wondered how ROTK avoided an R rating... [In reply to] Can't Post

...They had severed heads being shot out of catapults.

But I'm sure if they had shown Arwen's boobs it would've been rated NC-17.

I hate our rating system.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Nov 26 2012, 9:41pm

Post #6 of 15 (275 views)
Shortcut
Yes, trailers in US get a different rating [In reply to] Can't Post

People may not have noticed it, but almost ALL trailers begin with that familiar green screen with text. And that text will start with "The following PREVIEW has been approved for ALL AUDIENCES". It may, or may not, give the actual movie's rating - even R rated movies can get an 'all audiences' trailer.

Now, I have heard and read about (but never seen myself) a trailer with a red screen, that announces a preview for restricted audiences only.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2012, 9:48pm

Post #7 of 15 (303 views)
Shortcut
There's many ways they can get around a higher rating [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, the severed heads have no visible blood gushing out, thus ok for PG-13.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 26 2012, 9:49pm

Post #8 of 15 (261 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

the more recent "This preview has been approved for appropriate audiences," which makes me want to injure someone on behalf of the English language.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Nov 26 2012, 9:49pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 9:54pm

Post #9 of 15 (278 views)
Shortcut
Titanic was rated PG-13 [In reply to] Can't Post

So no. Arwen's state of dress would not have affected the rating.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 26 2012, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 15 (261 views)
Shortcut
There is a 0% chance that The Hobbit will be rated anything other than PG-13. // [In reply to] Can't Post

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 26 2012, 10:32pm

Post #11 of 15 (228 views)
Shortcut
The film has only just been completed... [In reply to] Can't Post

The MPAA (to my knowledge) does not rate uncompleted movies. The rating should be forthcoming.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Nov 26 2012, 11:35pm

Post #12 of 15 (179 views)
Shortcut
I think PG13 too [In reply to] Can't Post

No doubt about it, its gonna be dark and scary in some places like LotR and Thorin was chopping off Goblin heads in video log #9.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 27 2012, 12:16am

Post #13 of 15 (181 views)
Shortcut
I certainly hope the wrangling is PG versus PG-13 and not the latter versus an R [In reply to] Can't Post

While I can imagine an R rated Hobbit easily enough, I CANNOT imagine an R rated Hobbit being released to theatres. I know there are some who want more and more gore, but as someone who loved this tale as a child, and knowing how many children will be going to see this film, it would be a travesty if the film were so dark and graphic in its violent content that it could not comfortably be viewed by children (and by some adults who don't just love blood, brains and eviscerations). I doubt that will be the case, and I imagine the wrangle is Pg versus 13. . . but if it isn't. . . that could be a problem.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

totoro
Lorien

Nov 27 2012, 6:38am

Post #14 of 15 (124 views)
Shortcut
Well, we don't know what Tauriel does, yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but PG-13 seems like a safe bet for AUJ. Angelic

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 27 2012, 9:33am

Post #15 of 15 (84 views)
Shortcut
Lol. If anythying would change the rating. Fae fanny would. lol. So Ridiculous [In reply to] Can't Post

so backwards. Like how Frodo managed to be anything other than naked after his stint in Cirith Ungo (surely after searching and probing every inch of him, one of the orcs must have been concerned for his decency lol)l, yet the same film had flying heads and no one batted an eye about it.

In Reply To
... but PG-13 seems like a safe bet for AUJ. Angelic

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.