Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws open doors - Welcome Newbies, Olbies and In-betweenbies to our 2nd Annual Homecoming edition of Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 11 2007, 2:00pm

Post #426 of 458 (20739 views)
Shortcut
*raises cafe vienna mug* SALUTE! [In reply to] Can't Post

Late counts... totally! Isn't this a trip? :D I hope you're having a great weekend!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 11 2007, 2:03pm

Post #427 of 458 (20370 views)
Shortcut
Goblin town!? Sounds cozy ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they had inventive, fun things like that round here. We've got trees, water, hills, water, birds, water, farms surrounded by water. *ponders existence* Yeah... it's all good :D

I'm glad you made it to the party as it crawls into the week! Too great to miss :D

CHEERS!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 11 2007, 2:25pm

Post #428 of 458 (20814 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy your "book babies"!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!"

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 11 2007, 2:33pm

Post #429 of 458 (20768 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, Magrat!! [In reply to] Can't Post

HUGE congrats on the continued good progress with your book! And glad to hear everyone in the household is starting to feel human again. Just think of all the resistance/antibodies you've built up. Wink

We miss you and would love to see you around more. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 11 2007, 2:36pm

Post #430 of 458 (20219 views)
Shortcut
No such thing as late for Fiesta, Donry [In reply to] Can't Post

...now that the thread doesn't drop off the board and/or lock up.

Oh, and did I mention the free mini-bar is always open? The only reason we have to close the big bar is to re-stock the place after this certain partying crowd comes in every Friday. Wink

Hope you're having a happy weekend!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 11 2007, 2:38pm

Post #431 of 458 (19662 views)
Shortcut
Vidstige! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you could make it, late or not! Though, I venture to say we serve better drinks here than the Goblins do. WinkLaugh

Happy weekend, sir!

TORn Calendar

WrightWords
The Shire

Nov 11 2007, 4:16pm

Post #432 of 458 (20210 views)
Shortcut
(((Elberbeth))) !! [In reply to] Can't Post

squeeeeee

Work a block from ya, and gotta see you on TORn....Wink

Well, if I can't see you in RL, there's no better place than here,

Here's to us, 'Beth!

Cheers!

WW

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. ~Douglas Adams

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 11 2007, 8:54pm

Post #433 of 458 (20216 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll really be in a party mood when the novel's ready to go too. I'm sorely tempted to make it available right now, but the sensible part of me knows I should look at a copy first to check it over. Maybe I'll get it before next fiesta. Whoop!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 11 2007, 8:56pm

Post #434 of 458 (19890 views)
Shortcut
Book babies. [In reply to] Can't Post

I sometimes refer to this novel as the child of my heart, because I wrote the first draft in high school and have been revising it for 30 years. I wrote three sequels and several other novels, but this one is my favorite. I know when it arrives in the mail I'm going to cry. I'm hoping by next fiesta I'll be ready to have a coming out party. You're one of the people on my list to thank, since you have always been so supportive of my writing endeavors. :-)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape." --Terry Pratchett

Magrat
The Shire

Nov 11 2007, 8:57pm

Post #435 of 458 (20497 views)
Shortcut
Waves back [In reply to] Can't Post

at Altaira, Ataahua and Gramma

I will try to pop in more often! Life has been nuts. Since I sold that first book in 2004 I've now sold, er, 21 novels and novellas? I'm kind of losing count but I think that's about right. Which, combined with the two small people, explains why I'm never around. But seriously, I don't know if I'd be busy with my fiction career if not for TORN. I started posting here (on the old board, in the old days) during a long writing hiatus and all those silly LOTR parodies I posted got me back into the fun of it. I think I should dedicate my next book to you all.

Congrats to Aunt Dora! It's a wonderful thing to produce a book. Smile

In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - Terry Pratchett

Morwen
Rohan

Nov 11 2007, 9:21pm

Post #436 of 458 (19982 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's wonderful! Not one book, but two. You have been busy behind the scenes, Aunt Dora. I'm very excited for you.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've heard your anguish, I've heard your hearts cry out
We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
Set down your chains, until only faith remains
Set down your chains--Jewel

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 12 2007, 12:08am

Post #437 of 458 (21041 views)
Shortcut
Snow! Ice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that's more dedicated than I am. I'm definitely a warm-weather boater! We didn't get the little boat out at all this year (16' home-made sailboat): when we were scheduled to go out, the van we use for trailering was down. That boat only goes on inland lakes. The 26' is what came out Friday. This goes out on Lake St. Clair, and is a lot of fun to sail, but not when it's 36 degrees out like it was the day we took down the mast for the year. I'm sure it would make a lousy icebreaker.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 12 2007, 12:10am

Post #438 of 458 (20923 views)
Shortcut
It is pretty sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gone to Chicago to meet TORnsibs, and never met with the one in my own backyard. We should definitely arrange a meetup, and maybe a viewing or just some hobbity food and fun.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 12 2007, 2:39am

Post #439 of 458 (20884 views)
Shortcut
On neat, a 26ft sail boat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not have a sailboat but i have often wondered how neat it would be to do that, with no engine noise. You guys are 'windjammers':). I don't suppose you remember that movie in cinamascope back in ancient history do you?

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Nov 12 2007, 9:49am

Post #440 of 458 (20324 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the encouragement [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband and 4 children are all in agreement with me that my sister and her children will always have a home with us, even if it is a tight squeeze to fit 10 of us into one house. She hasn't decided yet if she will definitely move here, but I have a hunch she will need to. She is 34, has 3 children (7, 9, and 10), and needs to go back to school. Thankfully, she knows without a doubt that we will support her even if she can't contribute anything to the household income.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Nov 12 2007, 12:32pm

Post #441 of 458 (21119 views)
Shortcut
l love the sound [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the sound of a sailboat. You can hear the water slapping up against the hull, and the sails crisply flapping, and over all the sound of the wind thrumming through the stays and lines. (And the sounds of all the motors of all the other boats on the lake.)

And although I'm vaguely familiar with the movie, I must admid I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

Edited to add: if you want to see our page on our homemade sailboat (the 16 foot one), go here:
http://www.eskimo.com/...our/boatproject.html

(This post was edited by FantasyFan on Nov 12 2007, 12:34pm)

Wynnie
Rohan

Nov 12 2007, 1:35pm

Post #442 of 458 (20711 views)
Shortcut
Snow already? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not ready for that yet; we need to get the leaves raked first. Yes, we're all doing fine, and I'm glad to hear that you guys are too.

Perhaps under the shadow of the Unnamed some of the beasts of Mirkwood
are wandering hither to our woods. They have black squirrels there, 'tis said.

Wynnie
Rohan

Nov 12 2007, 1:58pm

Post #443 of 458 (23404 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

-- well, except for the part about the chair. Congratulations!

Perhaps under the shadow of the Unnamed some of the beasts of Mirkwood
are wandering hither to our woods. They have black squirrels there, 'tis said.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2007, 3:45pm

Post #444 of 458 (21118 views)
Shortcut
Mine's #29 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm curious to see who got #1...

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 12 2007, 6:29pm

Post #445 of 458 (20926 views)
Shortcut
As long as I'm still drinking alone [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll help myself to *another* eggnog. It's for the veterans, people! =)

[Army retakes Little Roundtop.]

Putting the 'action' in action figure...

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2007, 8:42pm

Post #446 of 458 (22204 views)
Shortcut
That would be... [In reply to] Can't Post

Inferno. Smile

You can see the whole list (as far as we know it) here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum.cgi?post=52786

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2007, 11:36pm

Post #447 of 458 (20619 views)
Shortcut
I'll toast to that *clink* It's never too late :) [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter's a Navy Desert Storm vet.

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 13 2007, 11:40am

Post #448 of 458 (21997 views)
Shortcut
Copied it. [In reply to] Can't Post

And off to work with it i go. It looks so coolSmile.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

barahliofrohan
Rivendell

Nov 13 2007, 11:16pm

Post #449 of 458 (22458 views)
Shortcut
Hello Lily! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is Barahli.

Am I posting in the right place now?

Barahli of Rohan

Westu Eomer hal!

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 14 2007, 12:05am

Post #450 of 458 (21081 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Barahli! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you're posting in the right place now. Hehe.

These boards are just like the old ones, where the most recent thread is at the top of the board when you first go to it. The big difference is that you can still respond to threads after they drop off of page one, though like the old boards, most of the activity is in the most recent threads.

Check out the TORn 201 thread on the Welcome Board for an FAQ. If you have any questions you don't find answers to there, don't hesitate to PM an Admin and/or post on the Feedback board.

So glad you found your way back and hope to see you around lots more! Smile

TORn Calendar

First page Previous page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.