Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Any pre-release jitters from my fellow TORnsibs about TH:AUJ criticism?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 8:11pm

Post #1 of 40 (1293 views)
Shortcut
Any pre-release jitters from my fellow TORnsibs about TH:AUJ criticism? Can't Post

I fear a backlash from critics about the Hobbit trilogy because most critics have their darlings in the Oscar race already and they want to make sure that the Hobbit is at the bottom of the heap when consideration for Oscars comes along in January! I fear many critics have already written postmortem reviews of our beloved PJ's efforts without even seeing the movie! Note how the critics trashed "The Lovely Bones' just to get back at Sir Peter for his LotR success! Who's reviews are you most likely to consider when the reviews start to trickle in at the end of this week?

chrism628
Bree

Nov 25 2012, 8:17pm

Post #2 of 40 (648 views)
Shortcut
TORn Readers [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be checking this site first for any reviews on the movie. Probably won't even look a rottentomatoes.com unless I'm convinced this AUJ will blow all of its viewers away.

Plus I'll be looking for reviews from Quickbeam himself!

(This post was edited by chrism628 on Nov 25 2012, 8:19pm)

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 8:19pm

Post #3 of 40 (657 views)
Shortcut
Is that how it works? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean the lovely bones was a pretty bad film - not just critics thought this but audience ratings arent that high for it and many who have read the book (myself included) thought it was not as good as the book.

So i dont think they were 'going after PJ' in saying it wasnt as good as lotr movies - it just genuinely wasnt that good and neither was King Kong - it was overly long, but better than The Lovely Bones.

Ultimately i am going to see these films even if every critic in the world says the movie is pants.

I normally listen to friends opinions on films but i plan on seeing this film pretty much as soon as it comes out so i will be forming my own opinion from watching it rather than going off peoples views.

I dont really have any specific critic who i follow, though i have found that a fair amount of time my views match Mark Komode's but i dont have one who i agree with on every film.

If it doesnt win any Oscar's, does that matter? There have been a lot of films (especially recently) which i felt didnt deserve Oscar recognition but did and others which got nothing but deserved to be honoured.

I think they might lump the honours together like they did with ROTK - i know some people think they gave them all the Oscars just for that film, but i dont buy it, i feel they gave them for that film and for the trilogy as a whole.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 8:23pm

Post #4 of 40 (586 views)
Shortcut
How come I loved the film, then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is my opinion wrong? Wink

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Nov 25 2012, 8:24pm

Post #5 of 40 (563 views)
Shortcut
I'm nervous... [In reply to] Can't Post

to be honest. Unsure

And I agree - any hint of disappointment and it's all set up to be savaged by the critics.

I'll more than settle for solid if unspectacular reviews.

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 8:24pm

Post #6 of 40 (530 views)
Shortcut
just in the slight minority :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 25 2012, 8:25pm

Post #7 of 40 (547 views)
Shortcut
No pre-jitters from me. [In reply to] Can't Post

It might sound selfish, but I don't care what anyone else thinks about the film, as long as I like it myself. The book means a lot to me, and I *want* to enjoy this trilogy. Everyone could hate it, but I wouldn't care.

Is there a possibility I won't like the films? No chance. I appreciate what they are, and thankful that we're getting anything at all!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 25 2012, 8:26pm

Post #8 of 40 (513 views)
Shortcut
I liked it too! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Mauricio
Bree

Nov 25 2012, 8:27pm

Post #9 of 40 (531 views)
Shortcut
Don't be biased [In reply to] Can't Post

You are aware that you're doing exactly what you're condemning those critics for, right? You're praising the movie without knowing anything about it, ready to "praise Sir Peter for his LotR success!"

Donīt be biased, go see the movie and have your own opinion. I really hope it's not even remotely close to bad, but if it is, then it's ok to recognize it.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 8:28pm

Post #10 of 40 (531 views)
Shortcut
I dunno about getting back at PJ.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But i agree that the critics were overly harsh on Lovely Bones. I do think that Wahlberg was miscast, unfortunately. He dragged the movie down.

I don't have a critic i go to. If i'm not that interested in a movie, i go by the general consensus. If it gets tons of good reviews, it might convince me to see it. When it's something that looks good or is about something i'm into, i don't care that much about critics.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 25 2012, 8:29pm)

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 8:29pm

Post #11 of 40 (517 views)
Shortcut
I am willing to bet most people liked it here than disliked it [In reply to] Can't Post

But overall audiences didnt like it and neither did critics - was just a bit of a mess of a film ultimately in a lot of people'es eyes.

if you liked it though, then that is great as its another film that you like and can watch from time to time to get enjoyment from. I would recommend reading the book though for you as i think i can remember you saying you havent read it.

Ultimately as i said it shouldnt matter what critics or others think - i will be seeing the hobbit even if every critic in the world says this sucks - if you like it then that is all that matters.

I was just trying to add balance that critics werent out to get PJ, just (whispers - the film wasnt actually that good) Smile

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 8:30pm

Post #12 of 40 (514 views)
Shortcut
Slightly. [In reply to] Can't Post

My fear is that critics will see it as too similar to LotR, like Pete is trying to rehash the same story over again. A lot of the criticism could come from ignorance of the book's story and the fact that it came before LotR, and IS NOT a prequel, but instead LotR is a sequel out of sequence. There may also be a lot of criticism of the technology used for the film, instead of the content of the film itself, unfortunately.

On the other hand, critics loved LotR, so I'm not too concerned. It seems the same amount of devotion is being payed to these films as LotR, so I would expect critics to be as enthusiastic.

I'm expecting something in the 85-95 range on Rotten Tomatoes, if you follow that website at all.

The bad thing is that IF it turns out to be a critical failure, it would be devastating to Warner Bros, New Line, and Peter Jackson above all. They have/will funneled nearly half a billion dollars into these movies. If these movies are critical and fan failures, then I doubt Peter Jackson will ever recover as a filmmaker in the eyes of studios and fans, especially after devoting years of his life to making these things, and all the stress that went into producing them. The last thing he wants is to be known as the next post-prequel George Lucas.

I also don't care the least bit about Oscars, as long as the movie is great.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Nov 25 2012, 8:40pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 8:31pm

Post #13 of 40 (584 views)
Shortcut
Oscar Politics, The Lovely Bones, & Keeping it all in Perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

There's many in the Awards Prediction circles who have been discounting The Hobbit pretty heavily when it comes to the Oscars this year, even in talk about technical categories. In my estimation they think The Lord of the Rings was a fad that had it's time in the early '00s - nevermind that the books are classics that have been around for many long decades. I think The Hobbit will do better than they are predicting, but we should also keep our expectations in check - we had our year in 2003, after all.

As for The Lovely Bones - it seems to be popular to say that it was a "bad" film (I don't agree at all), but that is simply a matter of opinion, not a fact. I do not think, however, that it's critical reception was backlash against LotR. PJ has a certain style that he brings to all of his films, and I got the feeling that this didn't feel like a proper fit for many fans of the book, or even some film fans in general. I liked it - thought it was one of the best of the year - and that's enough for me. But it was what it was.

As for the reviews of The Hobbit - I think there may be a few who are overly harsh on it thanks to the wild success of LotR. However, if PJ & Co brought it in the same way they did to LotR, I think it will be, for the most part, very positively received by the critics. I've learned not to underestimate PJ & Co when it comes to Middle Earth. I thought after the wild success of FotR, that they couldn't score again with TTT, and the same all over again with RotK. But they never ceased to amaze me. And so, I continue to believe in two simple words: "Trust PJ".

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 25 2012, 8:41pm)

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 8:32pm

Post #14 of 40 (525 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Review is my most concern [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything about AUJ looks good for me till now. but the closer 14th Dec the grower fear of review come in to my mind. I'm not expect The Hobbit tri would bigger than LOTR tri. if LOTR got 9 I hope The Hobbit 8. I'm very very ok with that.

I'm waiting the reviews on Metacritic.

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 8:34pm

Post #15 of 40 (479 views)
Shortcut
Good post :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 8:36pm

Post #16 of 40 (480 views)
Shortcut
Your words are reassuring. Thanks for that post! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 8:38pm

Post #17 of 40 (494 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I agree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a little conspiracy theory-ish for me.

I think the critical reception will mostly depend on whether or not the film is any good. If there is an underlying difficulty, it is potentially moving from a darker trilogy to a lighter one.

LR

(This post was edited by Lacrimae Rerum on Nov 25 2012, 8:39pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 25 2012, 8:39pm

Post #18 of 40 (495 views)
Shortcut
Nah. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have faith that the source material and PJ's experience will result in a really good film. I hope for his sake (and for all those who have worked for many years on this project) that the movie gets both critical and public acclaim, but the prospect of negative reviews doesn't overly concern me at this point.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 8:42pm

Post #19 of 40 (469 views)
Shortcut
I'm cool with it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping it gets great reviews because a lot of people worked really hard to make the Hobbit happen on the big screen, and it would kinda suck if the end result was not appreciated by the critics (regardless if I personally like the movie or not)

... the stuff I'm most looking forward to is Shore's score and RA's Thorin, and 48fps, and I know that at least 2 of these will not disappoint. As for the reviews, I will definitely read what Drew Mcweeny from Hitflix, Emanuel Levy and AO Scott have to say..

(This post was edited by LoremIpsum on Nov 25 2012, 8:45pm)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 8:43pm

Post #20 of 40 (455 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

We both love the purse, and we enjoyed The Lovely Bones!
We have so much in common!

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 8:47pm

Post #21 of 40 (457 views)
Shortcut
You know? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking of Starwars and i feel a ton of fear. 2 frenchises is a similar in this way but look at Starwar tri after TROJ. the first two (Episode 1 2) got about 50 - 60 score I'm so sad about their fate. Luckily they can return to good score in Episode 3.

oh my Mad

Elutherian
Rohan

Nov 25 2012, 8:48pm

Post #22 of 40 (485 views)
Shortcut
I have been disagreeing with Critics a lot this year.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Even though I'm usually in agreement with the majority of them.

Brave and Prometheus have negative reviews while The Amazing Spider-man has positive? I don't think so.

I'll just have to see the film for myself.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Nov 25 2012, 9:46pm

Post #23 of 40 (385 views)
Shortcut
I'm not worried. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's going to be amazing! Vlog 9 just confirms it even more.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 9:47pm

Post #24 of 40 (383 views)
Shortcut
Same Page [In reply to] Can't Post

We're on the same page. I am of course curious to see what some of you (especially you Daniel) think and curious to what some of my friends think but in the end I'm really only going to give major weight to what I think. As far as jitters I have none at all and think in the end this trilogy will be on part with how great The Lord of the Rings turned out so my confidence level is really high.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 10:23pm

Post #25 of 40 (372 views)
Shortcut
The Lovely Bones was trashed because it was horrible [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't envision a scenario where The Hobbit is downright bad, so I'm not afraid of its critical reception. I do think some reviewers may get lazy with their criticisms, but that's to be expected.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.