Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So how is The Hobbit anticipated in your country?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 25 2012, 5:40pm

Post #1 of 67 (939 views)
Shortcut
So how is The Hobbit anticipated in your country? Can't Post

Here in Sweden, the LOTR-movies were very successful, so I suppose The Hobbit-trilogy will do excellent as well. Cool

There is some disappointment that we have to wait another year to see Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt as Beorn. Frown

Also, the Swedish SF that owns the cinemas has screwed up big time. We wonīt get 48 fps screening on 12 Dec (the premiere), despite that neighboring countries like Norway and Denmark will. I donīt know how long the delay will be, so I guess I will have to WAIT to see it until the 48 fps-projectors are installed here! Incredible!! Pirate

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 25 2012, 5:53pm

Post #2 of 67 (500 views)
Shortcut
I'm yet to see any TV spot or trailer on TV and/or in the cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

Likewise, I haven't seen any advertising on boards, or in stores/shops. It all seems to be very low key here in the UK. Or maybe it's just where I live? I'd expect to see a lot more interviews on TV now though.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 5:59pm

Post #3 of 67 (473 views)
Shortcut
Weirdly it doesn't feel as anticipated as I'd have imagined... [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR were HUGE cultural events here in the States, especially RotK. There was basically a Tolkien-fest from December 2001-Early 2004.

Yet the anticipation/advertising blitz I'd have thought TH would receive seems to have been usurped by The Avengers/The Dark Knight Rises, and to a lesser extent and more recently, by Skyfall and (gulp! Crazy) Twilight! Yech.

However, I'm starting to see some more advertising...it was all over my theater when I went to see Lincoln, and I expect the hype will only get larger as we get closer to Dec. 14th, particularly if the film gets a favorable reaction.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Thoromir
Rivendell

Post #4 of 67 (468 views)
Shortcut
Here in The Netherlands... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's difficult to tell. I have not seen any tv spots on tv or posters in bus stops. As far as I can tell there are only trailers, posters and displays in our cinemas.
The last few days I've regularly checked the cinema's website to see if it's popular. But the theater halls aren't full yet. None as a matter of fact.
Ultimately they will, but as long as they don't promote The Hobbit the theater halls will fill very slowly. I have the feeling not many people know there will be a Hobbit-film...
On the other hand, this makes is easy to get tickets. Already got my IMAX 3D on the 12th and a 3D HFR on the 13th xD

(This post was edited by Thoromir on Nov 25 2012, 6:01pm)

imin
Valinor

Post #5 of 67 (484 views)
Shortcut
Have you been to see Skyfall or Twilight? [In reply to] Can't Post

They had the trailer before both of those, which are obviously massive movies, with Skyfall being the biggest of the year (so far).

I havent seen a tv spot but it was on during x-factor so millions will have.

I have also seen quite a few hobbit books in bookstores with little displays and such like - happens for any book adapted into a movie.

I guess it is just a regular level of promotion - seems to be working as they have sold a record number of tickets before its even been released!

One thing i have noticed is a lot of my friends who are fans of the movie but havent read the book/dont like the book know the film is coming this december even though they arent actively following the movie, so somehow this knowledge is getting to them - probably from me, haha!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 25 2012, 6:04pm

Post #6 of 67 (458 views)
Shortcut
In comparison to ROTK, it feels like anticipation is less. [In reply to] Can't Post

ROTK advertising was *everywhere*! Perhaps the Internet has now taken over advertising though?

I've not seen either of those films. I'm just watching the wrong programmes and the wrong films obviously! Tongue

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 6:07pm

Post #7 of 67 (435 views)
Shortcut
I would definitely recommend Skyfall [In reply to] Can't Post

its great. Twilight, not so much, lol.

Mischa07
Bree

Nov 25 2012, 6:17pm

Post #8 of 67 (411 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, not much buzz here in the Netherlands as far as I can tell. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also got my tickets and I was the first one to do so at my local cinema. I often check how many people have bought a ticket and so far it's going quite slow.

I go to the cinema quite often and so far I've ony seen the first teaser trailer and that was six months ago! I haven't yet seen the new trailer a Dutch cinema. Pretty weird. My local theater finally put up a poster though.

I'm looking forward to seeing some TV spots on TV here.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 6:17pm

Post #9 of 67 (416 views)
Shortcut
Sure, ROTK, but FOTR was not a "cultural event". [In reply to] Can't Post

The huge event at the time was the first Harry Potter that came out just a few weeks before.

I'm still unsure what Hobbit will do. It might be nothing but on movie forums Hobbit doesn't seem to get the hype. Like i've been saying, the ads, from trailers to posters, just aren't "cool" enough. The people that know only the movies see a bunch of funny dwarves and a funny Hobbit, it doesn't scream epic. Could be mistaken for a kids movie. Hope that's a false impression i'm getting.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 25 2012, 6:18pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 6:20pm

Post #10 of 67 (420 views)
Shortcut
Um... where did you get that? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess it is just a regular level of promotion - seems to be working as they have sold a record number of tickets before its even been released!

grinman
Rivendell

Nov 25 2012, 6:21pm

Post #11 of 67 (411 views)
Shortcut
I was concerned... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was concerned that the success of these films will not even remotely come close to that of LOTR. I think I have little to fear... and I'll tell you why.

I work in an office with mostly women, middle-aged women. The other day they were discussing Twilight. I tuned out. Then, out of nowhere, one of the women (the most "Twilighty" of the group) said this: "You know what movie I can't wait for? The Hobbit!" Then, the rest of the group joined in a chorus of "oh yeah" and "It looks great" and "I loved that book as a kid". My fears were put to rest.

If middle-aged women and soccer moms are looking forward to it, it'll be huge.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 6:22pm

Post #12 of 67 (402 views)
Shortcut
FotR seemed like it kicked off the blitz to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though obviously TTT was larger, and RotK bigger still. There was a pretty perpetual LotR presence/hype which built up in the Fall, exploded in the Winter/Early Spring, cycled down in the Summer (save for the TTT teaser in July 2002), and started up again in the Fall.

Meanwhile, having had no interest, I was blissfully removed from the Harry Potter mania the preceding month. Cool

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 25 2012, 6:23pm

Post #13 of 67 (398 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

The fans are definitely there in Finland as the queue was long for the tickets that went on sale yesterday, and there was a big overnight queuing event involved, but I don't know about the general public. I've seen very little advertising anywhere, and I'm not really sensing as much buzz, but it seems at least the local theatres are expecting big audiences because I don't remember even RotK opening on as many screen as AUJ will.

(This post was edited by dubulous on Nov 25 2012, 6:25pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2012, 6:24pm

Post #14 of 67 (390 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but when I went to see Skyfall in IMAX, the theater was packed, and when the trailer was over, there was a definite buzz in the air.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 25 2012, 6:26pm

Post #15 of 67 (392 views)
Shortcut
See this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Link

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 6:42pm

Post #16 of 67 (376 views)
Shortcut
Read my posts in that thread. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

It means little to sell more tickets than other movies whose tickets are already available longer on your first day on Fandango, which is one online tickets seller but not the only one, not to mention tickets that sell the old fashioned way.

Plus where's the word "record"? I don't find it in that news. Wink

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 6:46pm

Post #17 of 67 (353 views)
Shortcut
Im talking UK here not USA [In reply to] Can't Post

And someone posted a link about it a few weeks ago, a few days after they went on sale in the UK.

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 6:49pm

Post #18 of 67 (344 views)
Shortcut
Ah i must have bigged up what was actually happening [In reply to] Can't Post

in that thread in my mind compared to what actually happened, lol.

Still i know it will do fantastic in the UK, only skyfall can stop it being number 1 as that has took so much money.

Ultimately i couldnt care less if it made just $1 if i think its good then thats all that matters to me, lol.

I just have seen nothing different to this promotion than what i saw for avengers, skyfall etc. infact i have already seen more for this than skyfall!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 25 2012, 6:50pm

Post #19 of 67 (355 views)
Shortcut
Not an awful lot of advertising in the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

The posters for The Hobbit were up in my local cinema on Nov 7, even though they hadn't got advance tickets available on that date for whatever reason. I've seen no advertising on TV, but I have seen the odd action figure in the shops as well as copies of the book with the film's logo and pictures on their front covers, along with the usual "Now a major motion picture!" stamp on them.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

waaimasjien
Bree

Nov 25 2012, 6:58pm

Post #20 of 67 (325 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same way [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been to the cinema 6 times over the last 4 weeks and have seen the trailer for the Hobbit only once. From the reaction it got from the audience, it was obvious a lot of people had no clue a film like this was being made, but the shot of Gollum got people saying "oh, I think I'd like to see that."
There are standees and some small posters in the foyer, but I'm guessing more will be done as the premiere comes closer.

Midnight premier not sold out though.

Ayiana
The Shire

Nov 25 2012, 7:01pm

Post #21 of 67 (346 views)
Shortcut
Here in Germany [In reply to] Can't Post

the LOTR-movies were very successful and the Hobbit is one of the most anticipated films of the year.
I have seen many posters in cinemas and a lot of
merchandise in bookshops. (calendars, books and action figures)

I don't know if they are showing TV-Spots. I don't watch TV.

imin
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 7:01pm

Post #22 of 67 (322 views)
Shortcut
Who wants to go to a midnight showing anyway, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

i normally go to bed around 11-1. the hobbit starting at 12 if you include all the trailers and that jazz isnt going to finish til around 3 am. I would miss half the film or be too tired to know whats going on, lol.

Better to go the next morning when its nearly empty and the tickets cost less and you can pay attention to the film Cool

waaimasjien
Bree

Nov 25 2012, 7:06pm

Post #23 of 67 (302 views)
Shortcut
I do. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure I can keep my eyes open for something as exciting as this. I did reserve tickets for the day after though. In case I'd be too tired ;) .
Also reserved tickets for an IMAX showing on Saturday, but that's just because I'll probably want to see it again.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 25 2012, 7:09pm

Post #24 of 67 (300 views)
Shortcut
Afternoon naps are your friend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

I would go to a midnight showing if they had one here. I'd sleep beforehand.Wink

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 7:13pm

Post #25 of 67 (293 views)
Shortcut
Like i've said, i'm a box office junky, i care about such stuff. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.