Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
what book edition is most special to you/that you read most

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 24 2012, 11:10pm

Post #1 of 20 (354 views)
Shortcut
what book edition is most special to you/that you read most Can't Post

for lotr

example i found this 1970's version when i was young and it seemed like an old relic that id discovered tottaly drew me into the story...

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/images/main/lr/lr-1980.gif

..but my most special possesion is the centenary hard back edition in a blue box, silver bands round the top and bottom! cant find any picture sof it though

i need to get a new edition so dont ruin my old ones..??

for the hobbit it is always the traditional tolkein picture front cover, just doesnt seem right otherwise![url][/url][url][/url][url][/url]

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 24 2012, 11:13pm

Post #2 of 20 (197 views)
Shortcut
ooops [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/.../main/lr/lr-1980.gif

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

mandel
Rivendell

Nov 25 2012, 1:27am

Post #3 of 20 (198 views)
Shortcut
Good question! [In reply to] Can't Post

In 4th grade, I discovered ROTK in my elementary school library, with this cover:

http://tinyurl.com/bl3ov4v

What caught my attention were the appendices: my love of secondary world-building was already in me, in the form of a nascent curiosity about these curious charts and timelines and bits of expository text. The library had neither FOTR not TTT, so I just dove in and read ROTK. I didn't fully understand what was going on, but I loved it.

Soon, I got my hands on secondhand copies of these lovely paperbacks:

http://lotrscrapbook.bookloaf.net/...kcovers/pages/06.htm

I didn't know at the time that his was Tolkien's art, but the paintings seemed to be of some time in the dim forgotten past, and so I lovingly read the whole trilogy in these beaten-up old mass market paperbacks...

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 25 2012, 11:02am

Post #4 of 20 (182 views)
Shortcut
The red [In reply to] Can't Post

Leather LOTR & green The Hobbit that my late husband bought me shortly after we met 35 years ago. He had my name engraved on both of them. I don't usually read this one because it's too big to hold in my hand. I have all three LOTR books in a hard bound boxed set & those are the ones I read. Right now I'm reading my hard bound, illustrated by Alan Lee version of The Hobbit.

My husband also bought me all the special versions of the soundtracks to LOTR & had my name engraved on them. Howard Shore liked that & now they are signed by him.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 11:42am

Post #5 of 20 (193 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for telling us this - [In reply to] Can't Post

- very moving. I like to hear of which books mean the most to other readers of Tolkien. My own is a very special copy of the 1st India paper edition of LotR, from 1969.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 25 2012, 1:21pm

Post #6 of 20 (160 views)
Shortcut
That's the problem with the editions that are special... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they tend to be read most often, and thus "ruined" more easily!

My most special edition of the trilogy has one signature of FotR loosening along the binding, and my RotK has a coffee stain on one edge. But they're the ones I've made notes and underlines in, and the ones I pull out for quick reference.

During the summers of 1972-1975, my college years, I worked in my high school library, processing the new books. In those days, that meant typing out the cards to be inserted into the card catalog - no MARC coding and electronic retrieval systems back then! Laugh

The school librarian knew I was an avid LotR fan with falling-to-pieces paperbacks, so as a thank-you for my help, she purchased a set of second-edition Houghton Mifflins for me. I still have the dust jackets - she'd put clear covers on them.

(Unfortunately, I threw out the paperbacks, which were also pretty marked up! Also I'd noted inside the cover of FotR the month and year each time I'd read them. I remember there were at least 17 dates...)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 25 2012, 1:23pm

Post #7 of 20 (169 views)
Shortcut
The one in my footer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Alas, I have no Tolkien book in it's original language, English, they're all translated. I have to fix that soon...

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 1:51pm

Post #8 of 20 (160 views)
Shortcut
The one and the only; Kaapuhemmo! [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no other.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 25 2012, 3:11pm

Post #9 of 20 (156 views)
Shortcut
I'm on my third or fourth [In reply to] Can't Post

paperback edition. This version is starting to fall apart and I need to get a new set. Tongue

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 3:16pm

Post #10 of 20 (139 views)
Shortcut
Why paperbacks? // [In reply to] Can't Post

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 25 2012, 3:19pm

Post #11 of 20 (161 views)
Shortcut
Cheaper [In reply to] Can't Post

and easier to cart around as I traveled. LOL I do have the autographed hardcopy of The Hobbit that I got at the charity auction last year.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 5:49pm

Post #12 of 20 (172 views)
Shortcut
An autographed copy of The Hobbit?? [In reply to] Can't Post

- can you tell us more?

Sam20
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 8:44pm

Post #13 of 20 (121 views)
Shortcut
Books editon I read most [In reply to] Can't Post

Well as for me that's pretty simple: 2004 HaperCollins paperback edition of LOTR. It's basically what you can find at the lowest price and you can carry it everywhere without fearing to dammage it.

@shadowdog Autographed by Tolkien himself??? Angelic

(This post was edited by sam90 on Nov 25 2012, 8:46pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 25 2012, 11:51pm

Post #14 of 20 (113 views)
Shortcut
The auction was posted about in here last year. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was autographed by all the dwarfs.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2012, 7:21am

Post #15 of 20 (111 views)
Shortcut
ah, thanks very much. // [In reply to] Can't Post

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 6:15pm

Post #16 of 20 (97 views)
Shortcut
Big green anniversary edition [In reply to] Can't Post

of the Hobbit for me. I plan on getting the anniversary edition of LOTR soon as well. I like the hard covers, always makes it feel more like serious reading to me. and well...it is serious reading.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Nov 27 2012, 2:01am

Post #17 of 20 (93 views)
Shortcut
I particularly like [In reply to] Can't Post

the 50th anniversary one volume edition. I own both the paperback and hardcover. The text size is perfect and the pages are good quality.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 27 2012, 6:28pm

Post #18 of 20 (62 views)
Shortcut
My husband got those for me 34 years ago :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

(the red and green "leather" ones, that is). They were his wedding present to me <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 27 2012, 6:31pm

Post #19 of 20 (79 views)
Shortcut
My favorite is the red "leather" one [In reply to] Can't Post

that was my husband's wedding present to me in 1978, along with the green Hobbit.

The first one I had was the Ballantine paperbacks with the hippy covers. I read them almost to smithereens. But lately the one I read the most is the single-volume paperback. It's nice and small and easy to carry around, but I like having all three volumes at my fingertips.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 7:57pm

Post #20 of 20 (159 views)
Shortcut
The original Ballantine set I've been reading for 40+ years :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have ooodles of editions, but this is still the one I read exclusively at least once a year. The books are highlighted, marked up, TORn, and tear-stained. My precious!

my books

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.