Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
stone giants..
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

imin
Valinor

Nov 24 2012, 11:30am

Post #26 of 31 (86 views)
Shortcut
Yep that's how i see them [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As far the movie version, I never imagined them as being made of stone, just an exceptionally large race of Man. Kind of reverse-Hobbits.

i dont think there is anything in the writing to think otherwise either but visually i guess having them made from stone could look better, certainly more magical and maybe more easily accepted by the audience.

On another note - how tall does someone have to be, to be considered a giant in your/anyones eyes?

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 24 2012, 1:46pm

Post #27 of 31 (78 views)
Shortcut
Anyone above 6 foot is a giant to me ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

But really, I think above 7 feet, you are a giant.

As for the Stone Giants - I always thought of them around Treebeard size and quite bulky (like the Trolls).

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 24 2012, 2:53pm

Post #28 of 31 (78 views)
Shortcut
Stone giants [In reply to] Can't Post

Exaxtly how I see them. Aloof and uninvolved in the affairs of the smaller folk.

I never imagined them as actual stone before, but visually I think they look pretty cool.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

imin
Valinor

Nov 24 2012, 3:48pm

Post #29 of 31 (58 views)
Shortcut
Aren't you 5'10''? lol [In reply to] Can't Post

technically there is no height beyond which people are called giants from a medical stand point. But it has to be far above the average (about 5'10'' for UK men) and i read somewhere it works out at about 7'6'' which is incredibly tall, lol.

If im honest i never had a striking image of the giants in my head other than being about the height of around 15-25ft and essentially just big - kinda like beorn (wide frame) but taller.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 24 2012, 4:45pm

Post #30 of 31 (51 views)
Shortcut
I've lost an inch [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure where, or how. I seem to be shrinking! I think 5.9 is quite short for a man. Especially as my partner is taller!

I think we have a similar vision of the giants - tall and chunky. I never thought of what their faces were like though.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Nov 24 2012, 10:58pm

Post #31 of 31 (63 views)
Shortcut
5'9'' isnt short its average [In reply to] Can't Post

but its more the lower end of average i guess.

Your partner is very tall for a women if she is taller than yourself.

Also the inch will almost certainly be posture related. If you stand with correct posture i bet you would be 5'10'' again, unless you have osteoporosis which is doubtful for someone so young, or men in general, lol.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.