The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Significance of the thrush in The Hobbit

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 24 2012, 2:18pm

Post #1 of 4 (1937 views)
Shortcut
Significance of the thrush in The Hobbit Can't Post

What did the thrush have to do with Bilbo being able to find a way to open the secret door? I think it's because he heard a crack and it was the thrush cracking the snail. Then Bilbo saw the ray of light. I think it's that, but I just want to be sure.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 24 2012, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 4 (947 views)
Shortcut
Remember Thror's map? [In reply to] Can't Post

The map had directions to a secret entrance into Erebor. In moon letters, it is written:

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light will shine on Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole"

Luckily, the company got to the Secret door by Durin's Day. As the sun setted, the thrush cracked a snail against the stone, and the key hole appeared.

I hope that makes sense?

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 24 2012, 5:42pm

Post #3 of 4 (876 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes perfect sense. You see I completely forgot what the moon letters said and was a little confused why the thrush made Bilbo so excited. Thanks for the help. Wink

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2012, 1:59pm

Post #4 of 4 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Michael Martinez has written an entire essay on the topic [In reply to] Can't Post

http://middle-earth.xenite.org/...hrush-in-the-hobbit/

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.