Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2012, 4:18pm

Post #1 of 12 (240 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Hello, welcome to the Walk, and Happy Thanksgiving to the US contingent!

My preparations for the holiday have put me much behind on my posting, but I couldn't let another week go by without giving everyone the chance to check in, report miles and encourage each other on.

Myself, I managed just a few miles, of the moving-boxes and cleaning-house varieties. I'll have to look it up on my laptop when there's more time. For now, there's a turkey in need of my attention!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - getting thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit from Bag End to the Lonely Mountain by December 2012; and the same Hobbit and Wizard back to Bag End by December 2013

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Nov 22 2012, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 12 (157 views)
Shortcut
Last Week - Week 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

This is for last week. I'll post this weeks total Saturday...
Sorry for rambling, but walking so far got my mind wandering.

Miles covered this week: 19.27
Cumulative miles: 41.09
Goal: In Training. My miles are up for grabs for now.
Weight: 287.91 (Down from 293)
I took three days off and did 10 miles on foot Saturday: four at the Confluence, six at Cahokia Mounds Historic Site.

Cool site: http://www.cahokiamounds.org/visit/ Nice trails! Long, short, and many.

I've been searching for places in my area that would be semi-equivalent to places along Bilbo's journey. Cahokia Mounds can have a Barrow-Wright-ish feel as some actually are burial mounds. The Monks Mound (92 ft. tall) is the closest thing to Weathertop I have found around the St. Louis prairie

The 10 miles I walked Saturday was longer than the 9 miles to the Arch (as the crebain fly) in this cellphone photo. (May not be too visible here, but was clearly visible from the Mound.)

I promise to bring my good camera the next time I come here, and maybe get a sunset-over-St.-Louis photo. I should award myself extra points for climbing it, especially after doing the 10 miles first, but I won’t. That's not my thing.
There are no real mountains anywhere near St. Louis. The trail with the largest elevation change is only 120-200 feet. Next spring or summer, I hope to travel to some. I should be near the Misty Mountains by then. I don’t know if I should go Rockies or Appalachians. Eventually I would like to try a trail with a significant elevation change.

On the plus side, St. Louis & Missouri have forests and caves to spare. Maybe I could also canoe/float through some of the barrel riding miles.

P.S.: I'm having some doubts about my goal for next year. Doing it all by only walking/hiking outdoors is very important to me, but I would have to do this week’s pace every week to meet my goal. The weather won’t cooperate this well anytime from now until April. I know how to hike in rain and snow, but…
I'm not giving up yet. I’m just realizing the magnitude of the commitment. Time is the real enemy. That’s six hours of walking/hiking per week plus another hour or two travelling to and from the best trails. That is almost like having a second non-paying job. I may need to start counting my training miles now to make it to Erebor by the end of 2013.
But I have until New Year’s before I decide to commit.

P.P.S.: I did another 11.8 miles Sunday, making my total over the three-day weekend 26.5 miles. That’s more than a marathon. I once did 16 miles in one day many years ago when I was in shape, but this has to be a three-day record for me. [Sunday’s miles will be in next week’s totals.]

P.P.P.S.: I'll report this Saturday, but I'm down to 283.2 Down almost 8-10 pounds from November 1st.

'It is ever so with the things that Men begin: there is a frost in Spring, or a blight in Summer, and they fail of their promise.' ... '[Yet their seed] will lie in the dust and rot to spring up again in times and places unlooked-for.'

bearagorn
Lorien

Nov 23 2012, 12:04am

Post #3 of 12 (122 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Its been a while since last posted(17th august).Been busy getting house up to scratch to put on the market. During that time we have reached Lothlorien on our family walk Smile. So am posting the last 40 miles along with the last 2 weeks of my only miles for here. Hope you are keeping well and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

76 miles
634.5 total so far.

The boys are back in town!!

bearagorn
Lorien

Nov 23 2012, 12:07am

Post #4 of 12 (137 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

love the photos and well done on the walking Smile.

The boys are back in town!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2012, 2:22am

Post #5 of 12 (122 views)
Shortcut
Gobble, gobble!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't tell Beorn about Thanksgiving! I'm just a couple of days away from finally getting to his home with Bilbo and Gandalf. If the Bear-man knew what I did to the Turkey who guested at my house... well... he wouldn't like it :)

I didn't get to post last week, so here are my numbers for lots and lots of days. PLUS I can't believe we're 3 weeks away from The Hobbit!!! *twitch*

Thanks lots for keeping us on the road, Arandiel! I hope your holiday weekend is going GREAT!

See you on the trails, Fellow Travellers!

Miles covered: 42
Cumulated miles: 1489
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)
Weeks to go for Hobbit: 3 until December 14, 2012
Weeks to go for LotR Marathon in my town: 2 until December 8, 2012

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2012, 3:34am

Post #6 of 12 (103 views)
Shortcut
What you're doing is just amazing, J-M :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in awe of the commitment you've made to yourself, to the Quest and to us :) I can't think of anyone else who has laid the plan that you have... and it's so commendable! The thing about our Quests is that we really don't know what the demand of time, logistics, and health plays on them. I think that adjusting to the reality of how much time we have in a week and how much we can achieve during that time should be very organic... more flexible. So counting the activities you apply besides actually walking steps is just as valid... and very practical.

I think what counts is that we put so much effort into our personal Quests in everything we do. Whatever the activity, it's all about the spirit of our journey. So yeah... I really think you should include ALL of your activities... as we all do :)

Those pictures are amazing! I love it that you've actually taken us with you with these pics :D WOW! I feel like I live in the Shire, so I relate with you on wanting to find areas where we can relate to various locations from the stories.

My Shire
The road out my door
My walk ½ mile down the road

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2012, 3:37am

Post #7 of 12 (123 views)
Shortcut
Lothlorien's beautiful this time of the year ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy to see you safe and sound! It sounds like you really needed the rest in that perfect haven :) Packing and trying to sell a house is quite a challenge! Pace yourselves... and enjoy your holiday weekend!!

Well done on the mileage!!!!!!!

sample

Unused Scenes

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Nov 24 2012, 11:16pm

Post #8 of 12 (89 views)
Shortcut
Week 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your encouragement,Grammaboodawg!

My motivations, goals, and purposes are many, complex, personal, unusual, and very likely ill-conceived and ridiculous, too. I won't even try to explain them!

My path should not be seen as an example for anyone! Weight loss is not my first, second, third... or any goal. I'm tracking it only because I'm sure to lose a lot of it. I've lost 40 pounds and 80 before by walking, but I am best when comfortably plump. I'm tracking my weight only as back-up motivation.

My prime motivations are the upcoming Hobbit movies. Semi-recreating Bilbo's journey (and Frodo's eventually) is helping me get walking again. Even more than a fan of Tolkien, I'm a fan of Thoreau. Being outdoors and walking is my happiness.

Now that my Saturday is done, here's my Week 4 totals:

Miles this week: 26.33
Total miles: 67.42
The group can have my mileage numbers. I have the pleasure of the miles!
Current weight: 286.26

P.S.: If I can give anyone actual, practical advice from my years of walking, it is this: for weight loss and health purposes, walking more than three miles a day doesn't add any extra benefit. More than three, you're just tiring yourself out. Don't do much. Do it every day. Don't do anything else while you're doing it.

'It is ever so with the things that Men begin: there is a frost in Spring, or a blight in Summer, and they fail of their promise.' ... '[Yet their seed] will lie in the dust and rot to spring up again in times and places unlooked-for.'

ShyElf
Lorien

Nov 25 2012, 3:43am

Post #9 of 12 (110 views)
Shortcut
Happy Thanksgiving... [In reply to] Can't Post

...To all you fine folk in the US! My younger sister lives in Ohio and I know she is enjoying having both of her kids home from University for the holiday!

I still can't walk very much/well yet - but last weekend I took ShyElf The Younger to the open house at her college of choice - and I did about 1/2 mile of walking. It was tough - and they lost me on the tour... I couldn't keep up with the group! Blush Mr. ShyElf was with me (helping me hobble along!) and we found ShyElf The Younger eventually.

Miles covered since my last post: .5
Cumulative Miles: 57.5
Goal: There and back again!

I'm so excited about the Hobbit - 3 more weeks!!!!!

Cheers!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2012, 12:18am

Post #10 of 12 (129 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you made it to ShyElf The Younger's [In reply to] Can't Post

University... but am so bummed for you that the tour was cut short. I watch groups come across campus all the time, and it's a surreal visit for the entire family. It is definitely a challenge for anyone who can't walk what ends up to be miles of sidewalks, stairs and hallways.

Hang in there m'dear! It'll get better :)

sample

Unused Scenes

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 1 2012, 7:56pm

Post #11 of 12 (73 views)
Shortcut
Holiday catch-up! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I'm sure most of us have been, I've been very busy over the holidays! What with cleaning, and the family celebration, etc. But I did keep a tally on what progress I did make, over the last couple weeks, and I'm posting it all now. Hope EVERYONE has had a really terrific Thanksgiving!!! Laugh

miles 22.6
cumulative: 803.5
goal: There and Back Again Challenge!!

God bless everyone! Keep up the good work!!Smile

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Iolani
Rivendell

Dec 1 2012, 7:57pm

Post #12 of 12 (149 views)
Shortcut
Wow~! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great work! And thanks for sharing the photos! They're beautiful. Keep going!! Cool

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.