Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug in movie
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Wordofmask
Lorien

Nov 23 2012, 6:43pm

Post #1 of 79 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Smaug in movie Can't Post

first of all, sorry for my bad english

just finished the book again (3 times in my life) and everytime I read Smaug'death it always happend to me that it is"too quick too easy" Frown the fact that just an arrow pierce though his heart could kill him easily make me sick. Frown

I hope PJ and his fellow will show their best talent again on this scene. No need to make Smaug so overpowering. just make him suitable for 1 of the big antagonists in the hobbit and his quote "My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail is a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 23 2012, 6:55pm

Post #2 of 79 (525 views)
Shortcut
It's like the death star [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it amuing Something so big and powerfull has such a small, but big weakness.

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 7:10pm

Post #3 of 79 (496 views)
Shortcut
It would've been interesting to read how this scene would've played out in the abounded re-write [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it is a childrens fantasy book, I don't think it's that much of a problem. You dont want to be scaring children senseless. But for a film, it probably is a problem - it can't come across as too easy.

I imagine Smaug will be more terrible and fearsome in the films - perhaps they'll add a story to the Arrow too. Maybe it was foretold that it had something to do with the dragon, and/or it would lead to Gold coming down from the Mountain?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:13pm

Post #4 of 79 (460 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I hate that Smaug dies so easily in book [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, but Tolkien really had a bad habit of killing of powerful enemies in anticlimactic ways. In FOTR, an idiot Sauron reaches out with his hand to choke Isildur, enabling him to cut of his fingers with a broken sword. It is a cringeworthy scene, and I expect the same for the death of Smaug.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:14pm

Post #5 of 79 (443 views)
Shortcut
Smaug was always so strong Tolkien had to pull some miracle [In reply to] Can't Post

for the heroes to be able to defeat him. After all, since the very start they were told by pretty much every single character with a brain that they had nothing on Smaug, and were quite correctly considered foolish. But what would you expect of Thorin, who was (at least for a moment) ready to "do something" about Sauron... Of course, when Smaug then is finally defeated by one of those tiny flies he so looked down upon, it's both thematically and narratively the right thing to do.

SPOILERS

That being said, yes, let's hope Smaug is both terrible and beautiful, yet not too great. Physically speaking, that is. He must die from an arrow piercing his heart, and that heart cannot be protected by too thick layers of flesh, no matter how ancient (and perhaps magical) the arrow is.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:16pm

Post #6 of 79 (471 views)
Shortcut
The arrow alread has a story [In reply to] Can't Post

It's passed on from generation to generation in the Girion/Brand lineage. No doubt it'll be told onscreen... every single subplot will be used and abused in this filmatization! Tongue

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:19pm

Post #7 of 79 (431 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to B.A.D.D.! [In reply to] Can't Post

You clearly need to join B.A.D.D. - Bothered About Disposable Dragons!

(Sorry for linking two a ten-year-old meme from another forum. Laugh )

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 7:20pm

Post #8 of 79 (432 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I think the backstory will be expanded upon [In reply to] Can't Post

Or exaggerated! Just as long as its not a magical arrow, with magic oozing out of it!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:20pm

Post #9 of 79 (456 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't Sauron trying to pat Isildur on the head PJ's invention? [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't book!Sauron get killed first, and Isildur robbed his body post-mortem?

Apart from that, what anticlimatic defeats are you referring to? Because if it's Witch-King being defeated by a girl... Then we're going to have a loooooong discussion ahead. Cool

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:22pm

Post #10 of 79 (419 views)
Shortcut
It'll glow! And sparkle! Omniouly! [In reply to] Can't Post

And will be seen in many, many, many..... many close-ups. Wink

Fardragon
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:23pm

Post #11 of 79 (422 views)
Shortcut
We discussed this a few weeks back [In reply to] Can't Post

The important thing is to emphasise the things that have to happen in conjunction:

The person: Bard. His role is being expanded. It is thought he may have to escape from prison in order to be in the right place to kill the dragon.

The weapon: the black arrow. We discussed how this artefact could be discussed and it's pedigree expanded when Bard encounters the dwarves. Chekhov's gun.

The intelligence: I have no idea how the thrush will be treated, but it will probably be expanded upon in some way.

In addition, I expect slo-mo arrow cam will be used to show the arrow entering Smaug's body and exploding his heart.

But the death of Smaug isn't the climax of the story, so it shouldn't be to big, so it doesn't overshadow the real climax.

A Far Dragon is the best kind...

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:25pm

Post #12 of 79 (410 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, the grey hairs on the script writing team's head! [In reply to] Can't Post

But the death of Smaug isn't the climax of the story, so it shouldn't be to big, so it doesn't overshadow the real climax.

Hence the both climaxes getting their own movie... calling it! Smaug will be offed in DoS. If I'm wrong, may the lighting hit m.... my little brother?

Ffnir
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:27pm

Post #13 of 79 (420 views)
Shortcut
The attack of laketown will be a great action scene... (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

and bard will be jumpin on rooftops, pursued by the dragon fire, so I think they will dramatize the death of smaug a lot. First of all, I think Bard is now captain of the guard or somethinf ? so probably smaug will be shot numerous times before the ultimate arrow, and perhaps already injured several times. and maybe the arrow will be 2 meters long and shot by a ballista, who knows...

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:30pm

Post #14 of 79 (391 views)
Shortcut
People will assume he dies based on the title as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm familiar with what "The Desolation of Smaug" refers to, but the general public will probably think it refers to his death. Even a very intelligent person I know with a large vocabulary who read the Hobbit years ago thought that it meant his death at first. I love the name myself and never thought of it as anything other than the geographical area, but I fear it will cause lots of confusion.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:32pm

Post #15 of 79 (384 views)
Shortcut
It could have double meaning [In reply to] Can't Post

To lead astray fans who know that Desolation of Smaug is the name of the area on Thorin's map.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 7:32pm

Post #16 of 79 (383 views)
Shortcut
There should be an interactive phone in! [In reply to] Can't Post

With multiple endings!

As the arrow flies through the air, the film suddenly pauses. PJ appears on the screen and offers a choice of multiple outcomes. The audience have to vote, and whatever gets the majority, happens.

Shocked

Quick! Someone get me PJ's phone number!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:35pm

Post #17 of 79 (381 views)
Shortcut
Even in the book it's a dramatic scene [In reply to] Can't Post

And Smaug's death is always impressive to me. But if others find it anticlimatic, there's a good chance the movie audience will find it such too.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:36pm

Post #18 of 79 (384 views)
Shortcut
Maybe PJ has changed the story.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And Smaug will actually win! The title of the movie is to lull people into a sense of complacency and not expect the last movie to be about all the peoples of Middle-Earth joining forces to stop Smaug. Sauron and Elrond will fight side by side... and lose! The movie will end with Smaug glorying in all the treasure he collects from the defeated host, perhaps focusing on him petting Orcrist with a talon. Perhaps he keeps Bilbo around as a pet because he amuses him.

In all seriousness, if Smaug does die in Film 2, it would be insanely cool to have an alternate ending where Smaug wins and takes out Bard and then finds the Dwarves when he gets back and incinerates them too. I know it'd be too expensive to film, but it's be awesome. Sly

(Sorry. I always root for the dragon...)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 7:38pm

Post #19 of 79 (373 views)
Shortcut
Where's my Alternative Ending with Sauron winning the War of the Ring? [In reply to] Can't Post

He worked so hard! So long! At least he should be acclaimed as the moral winner! My baby... *sniff*

Ffnir
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:42pm

Post #20 of 79 (369 views)
Shortcut
I like it a lot too [In reply to] Can't Post

and Bard is a hero, so i can't blame him for slaying the dragon. but it's a very short in the book, and it certainly won't be in the movie

(This post was edited by Ffnir on Nov 23 2012, 7:44pm)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:47pm

Post #21 of 79 (365 views)
Shortcut
dragoni [In reply to] Can't Post

i think the arrow piecing smaugs weak spot is perfect, ever heard of david and goliath?

i think the great thing about tolkiens world is that everything is tangible.no some computer gamefantasy world! yes its a dragon, but it still has veins and skin, therefore it can be shot at! sauron

cutting saurons finger off with the shards of narsil is brilliant becuase its so unexpected, last ditch, possible , briliant storytelling!

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:47pm

Post #22 of 79 (350 views)
Shortcut
How about both in a special collector's edition? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Smaug is much cooler than Sauron, but I'd enjoy watching both endings. Evil

I may be a tad bit biased in favor of dragons.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 7:54pm

Post #23 of 79 (337 views)
Shortcut
hey [In reply to] Can't Post

i bloody love dragons too! :) whats your fave

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2012, 7:55pm

Post #24 of 79 (328 views)
Shortcut
Not that I would wish the lightning on you [In reply to] Can't Post

But my money is still on our Smaug surviving the second film

LR

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 8:02pm

Post #25 of 79 (322 views)
Shortcut
Smaug IS cooler than Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never thought about that before. Sauron being mysterious and totally behind the scenes has its strengths but... yeah... this dragon is going to be fun.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.