Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
stone giants..
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 31 (962 views)
Shortcut
stone giants.. Can't Post

theres been a lot of negatives about the stone giants, i personally think they look pretty cool, but lets not forget this is a 3d film! and this sequence is made for it!

there's always the '3d' shot in these films and i think theyll be a few in the first episode

i myself am looking forward to this bit :)

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 31 (632 views)
Shortcut
I think some of the negativity comes down to [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether you believe they are literal or metaphorical beings in the book.

I love that they will be included, and the scene looks amazing.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 5:18pm

Post #3 of 31 (538 views)
Shortcut
oh.. [In reply to] Can't Post

i always thought they were real, no question, why wouldnt i ? lol

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 5:22pm

Post #4 of 31 (497 views)
Shortcut
Many people thought they'd be left out [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew Pj, would cease the oppurtunity and elaborate the sequence into a major set piece and i love him for it.It's going to be interesting, that the stone giants actually pose a real threat to the company, rather than just being there with no significance ,other than throwing rocks at each other.By the looks of things, the visual effects are going to be spectacular.Wink

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 23 2012, 5:23pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 5:24pm

Post #5 of 31 (495 views)
Shortcut
I was stoked when we first saw them [In reply to] Can't Post

I never ever imagined them to be shown. I was very happy to be proven wrong.

Of course, how the actual scene(s) plays out will determine whether I like it or not, but I am looking forward to them.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 23 2012, 5:27pm

Post #6 of 31 (462 views)
Shortcut
Now what's missing is only the talking purse™... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and as soon as I see this, I'll be happy. Sly

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Sam20
Lorien

Nov 23 2012, 5:29pm

Post #7 of 31 (449 views)
Shortcut
Giant [In reply to] Can't Post

All I can say is that I'll wait to see the scene more precisely before further comment. We see glimpses of them in the trailers but from the few seconds where they appear I didn't thought they were that bad. I have to say that it is positive that they have been added at all in the film!

(This post was edited by sam90 on Nov 23 2012, 5:34pm)

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 5:31pm

Post #8 of 31 (476 views)
Shortcut
Plot hole [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem with showing creatures like that is that people will be wondering where they are during LOTR. People will ask: "So why didn´t Sauron/Aragorn use the Stone Giants?" They seem so insanely huge and powerful that they make every creature in LOTR like ents, mumakil, fell beasts and troll seem ludicruous and insignificant in comparison.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Post #9 of 31 (491 views)
Shortcut
I never doubted that the giants were meant to be real... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just never imagined them as appearing as though they were actually made of stone!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Post #10 of 31 (437 views)
Shortcut
i reckon [In reply to] Can't Post

if a magic ring can 'talk' so can a purse, therefore the purse used to belong to sauron which he kept rings in i suspect ;)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 5:49pm

Post #11 of 31 (416 views)
Shortcut
Yes, good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never imagined them as Stone either.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 5:49pm

Post #12 of 31 (384 views)
Shortcut
Eol could also be a suspect / [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 6:10pm

Post #13 of 31 (369 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It's awesome that they're literal stone giants and I'd make the same choice if I were making the movie.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:11pm

Post #14 of 31 (374 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not as though Sauron is controlling the giants. They are acting independently. I think most people will be able to understand that.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 6:14pm

Post #15 of 31 (368 views)
Shortcut
It's always a problem [In reply to] Can't Post

And people won't understand unless it's explained to them. I can think of a couple of things that might explain their absence:

1. They went missing like the Entwives
2. They destroyed each other
3. They could not be controlled by Sauron/Sauron did not know they existed
4. They travelled North or East, out of the War of the Ring
5. They are metaphorical beings

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 23 2012, 6:15pm)

imin
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:36pm

Post #16 of 31 (330 views)
Shortcut
or literal but not made of stone but just giants who live amongst stone (mountains). // [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 6:37pm

Post #17 of 31 (341 views)
Shortcut
60 years later. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything, could happen to them between then.They could have just gone extinct.WinkAt the time of the lord of the rings, the Dwarves are all in hiding and nearly all wiped out

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

imin
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:39pm

Post #18 of 31 (338 views)
Shortcut
To make it easy on themselves in the movie universe [In reply to] Can't Post

They should just have them smash each other to pieces so they 'die' that way getting rid of the problem of, why didnt frodo just jump on a stone giant and walk to mount doom or something to that nature.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 6:55pm

Post #19 of 31 (294 views)
Shortcut
I like this extinction idea [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite unique to anything else that's happened in Middle-earth. It runs parallel with the Entwives as well.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 6:58pm

Post #20 of 31 (292 views)
Shortcut
sort of like ents but the stony versions [In reply to] Can't Post

there obviously an endangered species dying out, like everything else in middle earth, elves dwarves, orcs, balrogs ,ents, stone giants! thats the whole point of these stories right? to explain where all the magic creatures went, why only men are left now! no one hardly uses the passes of the mountains anymore, hence not seeing them!

rant lol

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2012, 8:12pm

Post #21 of 31 (257 views)
Shortcut
When I read the book I get the feeling that those stone giants are real! [In reply to] Can't Post

They refer to them 3-4 times in dialog as real beings, and I think they would just talk about rain and thunder if that was the case Smile

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2012, 8:24pm

Post #22 of 31 (243 views)
Shortcut
What's the case for them being metaphorical? [In reply to] Can't Post

There seem to be several comments which don't obviously fit with that idea.

LR

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 8:28pm

Post #23 of 31 (239 views)
Shortcut
Real, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

But somehow they felt disconnected from the rest of Middle-earth.

It's like humans in comparison to ants. We're much larger than ants and have our own large world to deal with, but the ants also have their own world. I imagine the dwarves (and hobbits and elves) are comparable to the ants and the giants to humans. They all live in the same world, but their worlds are perceived so differently.

Did I make any sense? Unimpressed

ForestPark
Rivendell

Nov 23 2012, 9:49pm

Post #24 of 31 (186 views)
Shortcut
save that elimental forces [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe bourne of local. Smaug may = Tiamat.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Nov 24 2012, 7:17am

Post #25 of 31 (101 views)
Shortcut
Stone-giants [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, Ardamire. The Stone-giants seemed very elusive and mysterious in the book. I assume they probably kept to themselves and weren't concerned by the affairs of the "Small Folk." Hence why they didn't play a part in the War of the Ring.

As far the movie version, I never imagined them as being made of stone, just an exceptionally large race of Man. Kind of reverse-Hobbits. If they're actually made of stone, it begs the question of just what they are. A distant cousin of the Stone-trolls? Maiar spirits of the earth?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.