Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 107 (280 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome, everyone, to another fun Fiesta!

U.S. TORnsibs are either waking up regretting eating too much yesterday for Thanksgiving, or out and about taking advantage of 'Black Friday' sales at stores or, like me, both! Laugh For the rest of you, at least it's Friday! So, tell us how your week went, or let us know what your plans are for the weekend.

I have a new camera and a new tablet thanks to some amazing sales, so I'll be playing with those while starting to unpacking and set up Xmass decorations. Smile

*kicks juke box* "I Just Called to Say I Love You" by Stevie Wonder starts to play.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 5:11pm

Post #2 of 107 (146 views)
Shortcut
peeks in door to see if you have egg nog yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not overeat for Thanksgiving. But I had plenty of fat that I don't normally eat (like pie with whipped cream, cranberry bread, cinnamon rolls, and bacon). So I can't claim any high ground for not stuffing myself.

This weekend we're trying to do wall repair in our mud room as we upgrade from the 28 year old wallpaper. I loved that old wallpaper and have found that styles these days are quite different. So, we'll just be painting which means the walls have to be in much better shape.

If I'm smart, I'll start on some handmade items for Christmas. Not sure if I am smart, though. :-)

No shopping today. I'm one of those that thinks standing in line at 4:30 am is foolishness although quite a few stores opened last night at 8 pm or midnight.

And I just have to comment that the high on Wed was 60 (and maybe higher). Last night it snowed which lingers on the ground and the temp right now is 22 (wind chill 8).

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 5:19pm

Post #3 of 107 (134 views)
Shortcut
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have a Winter Usual, please, Altaira-- it's literally freezing here right now (actually below, with the wind chill). :P But it's nice indoors! Wink

Thanks, and hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

bearagorn
Lorien

Nov 23 2012, 5:22pm

Post #4 of 107 (131 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well its a long time since posted on fiesta friday. Hope everyone is keeping well and have their tickets for the Hobbit. Alls well in the Bear house,which is up for sale,and yes we have our tickets Smile. Have a great weekend and hope the weather where ever you are is considerably better than it has been here Unsure. Take care.

The boys are back in town!!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 5:24pm

Post #5 of 107 (132 views)
Shortcut
Your footer! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! Brilliant.Laugh

BG had never experienced a true Black Friday, being a Kiwi, so we ventured to Costco this a.m. which opened at the very civilized hour of 9:00 a.m. (an hour early for them). We had pre-planned what we wanted and went in earlier this week to get, and fill out the little 'merchandise request forms' ahead of time. We got there a little early, but they opened the doors a little early, so we only stood in line about 5 minutes. We then went right to the cashier, right to the merchandise pick-up window and were in and out in about 15 minutes! Now *that's* how to do Black Friday, lol! Laugh

Enjoy your weekend Mag-'pie'. SmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 5:26pm

Post #6 of 107 (123 views)
Shortcut
Hi Evey! I probably shouldn't tell you how warm it is here [In reply to] Can't Post

It's supposed to get up to 65 f today. Later, I'm actually going to go out and water my trees and shrubs due to how mild it's been and how little moisture we've received so far this season.

*mixes generous serving of miruvor into steaming hot chocolate*

Enjoy the weekend! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 5:27pm

Post #7 of 107 (126 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, bearagorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tickets, tickets! Yes, we definitely all have our priorities straight on this site, lol. Cool

Stay warm and enjoy the long weekend.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 5:54pm

Post #8 of 107 (117 views)
Shortcut
Made it! [In reply to] Can't Post

A hot chocolate with a shot of Bailey's please, good barkeep!

What kind of camera did you get? I want to get one today (my current one is busted) for when I'm in Wellington this week.

Happy end of the week, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 5:55pm

Post #9 of 107 (113 views)
Shortcut
LOL-- I don't mind. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

It was actually up near 60 or something here a few days ago. Ah well. :)

Thanks, and again, I hope you have a great weekend, too! :)

Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 5:59pm

Post #10 of 107 (123 views)
Shortcut
I'll join in with a festive drink [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Thanksgiving to all you guys on the other side of the Pond. I hadn't even realised!

When is it acceptable to put up Xmas decorations? I had a fairly successful day of present shopping today, so I'm feeling festive! Plus I picked up a Tolkien moleskin diary to take with me to South Georgia next year.Laugh

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

The countdown to the premiere is looking better each day. So close now!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:11pm

Post #11 of 107 (126 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bailey's so early in the a.m.? Then again, when it's virtual, it doesn't matter what time of day, does it. I think I'll keep the bottle open and pour a little virtual drop or two into my coffee. Laugh

The camera is nothing too fancy: I got a Panasonic Lumix 20x zoom. Our older cameras are great little cameras, but I find myself wanting more of an ability to zoom and not turn the photo all grainy. Mountains, other scenery, animals, air shows and even close-ups of flowers are all things I wanted a few steps up in quality for.

Enjoy your weekend! SmileHeart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:14pm

Post #12 of 107 (108 views)
Shortcut
Hey there, Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

It's usually tradition here to use the long, Thanksgiving weekend to set up Xmass decorations. It seems way too early, because Thanksgiving was the earliest it can be this year (always the 3rd Thursday of November), but the long weekend is just too good an opportunity, so up ours go!

Nice find re the Tolkien journal. What a great place to write down your impressions and activities.

Cheers! Smile

imin
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:20pm

Post #13 of 107 (112 views)
Shortcut
I think its different for everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

for me and my family they never go up until its december - just feels way too long if not and at the moment i dont feel festive at all, way too much going on!

As i have gotten older the festive feeling comes later and later - now it doesnt happen until i am back with my family on xmas eve.

On another topic, where did you get the diary, it sounds amazing and might drop hints to people that i would like one for xmas, haha.

Tigero
Rivendell

Nov 23 2012, 6:23pm

Post #14 of 107 (112 views)
Shortcut
Gona drop the bass with my new headphones the whole weekend till my ears pop! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also practice useless usage of video editing software by making LOTR YTP (that's the plan, anyway) Wink

Pessimists have no disappointments.

imin
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:27pm

Post #15 of 107 (116 views)
Shortcut
What a tiring (and expensive day!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I had my interview/selection process today. So i had to travel down to the regional centre - Birmingham - West Brom football stadium from Sheffield - time of journey there and back 9-5 and cost including the suit i needed around 190-200 pounds or $300 for one day!

Its a weird interview thing where they gather all final year dentists for selection - so all will be ranked from 1 - 1139 (last year i got 150). So i am hoping for the same this year but i am unsure as you can never tell with these things.

One station is an actor pretending to be a patient with some kind of problem. Then there are two other stations dealing with certain aspects of the job - clinical governance, risk management, GDC, legal issues etc. Finally a written section which was simply write a referral.

Well im sure everyone found that fascinating, haha.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 6:32pm

Post #16 of 107 (118 views)
Shortcut
I normally put mine up 1st December [In reply to] Can't Post

Christmas is always less fun with increasing age. It then peaks again when you have kids. I'll force the Christmas spirit down myself.
Wink

I think it's actually Hobbit merchandise. I found it in Waterstone's - it's called The Hobbit Limited Edition Plain Molskine Notebook, and comes with Thror's Map. It's a little pricey at £17, but I couldn't resist. They had two different coloured ones as well.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:40pm

Post #17 of 107 (102 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

*shouts* Have a great weekend, Tigero, and don't be too hard on your ears!!!Laugh

Cheers, sir!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:42pm

Post #18 of 107 (105 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting (and tiring) [In reply to] Can't Post

Gueling, more like. Lol. I hope you did well though. When will you find out?

imin
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:43pm

Post #19 of 107 (101 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for letting me know [In reply to] Can't Post

Just checked it out and it looks really good - and i dont normally say that about much of the merch! I think i might get one myself as a graduation present (if i do actually graduate).

I think for me this xmas could be extremely festive or not just based on if i do finally graduate - the last few years have been ruined by illness on my part which has made me feel like not getting in the xmas spirit, but things could be so very different this year! I have only 12 more days to go!

I think xmas is so much more special with kids - seeing my little sisters wonder at what Santa had left behind was great to see and was usually the best part of xmas along with the massive feast of a meal on xmas day, my poor mum!

I dont think i have put any xmas decorations up for the last 6 years Unsure

Asclepias
Rivendell

Nov 23 2012, 6:44pm

Post #20 of 107 (103 views)
Shortcut
*runs in and skids to a halt* [In reply to] Can't Post

Not needing to work today, I can make it to the first Fiesta in ages! *waves to everyone who remembers me* I'm working for the Fish and Wildlife Service this year! The position is temporary, and was orifinally supposed to be for one year, but they were able to wangle a way to hire me back for a few months in 2013. My last official day of work is December 17, but I decided I'll just revert to volunteer status for a couple of weeks. I figure that since they worked to get me back as an employee for another year or so, the least I can do is volunteer for a couple of weeks (plus, there's still so much to be done that I can't justify taking 2 weeks off. I've been clearing out the backlog of documents in the file room, anhd I've taken it as a personal challenge to get everything rearranged!).

Just tea, please, Altaira! Good to 'see' everyone!

imin
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 6:46pm

Post #21 of 107 (101 views)
Shortcut
Yeah it was kinda grueling [In reply to] Can't Post

As its all competitive and not all the people are nice.

I will find out if i have graduated on the 5th Dec, then i will find out if i have a job in Feb 2013 on 7th Dec, or if i have a job in Aug 2013 on Jan 9th. little confusing, with so many dates, lol.

Asclepias
Rivendell

Nov 23 2012, 6:48pm

Post #22 of 107 (96 views)
Shortcut
Scary, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

It was predicted to be in the 60s here in Cheyenne, but it hasn't gotten there yet.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:52pm

Post #23 of 107 (92 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful to see you here, Asclepias! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations on getting your job extended. It sounds like you really enjoy it, so I hope it works out well. Smile

Have a great weekend, too!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:53pm

Post #24 of 107 (93 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you do whilst waiting for your job to start? Finishing up school?

Again, best of luck! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:54pm

Post #25 of 107 (91 views)
Shortcut
** Puts out 'self-serve' sign and left-over Thanksgiving goodies. Happy weekend, everyone! // [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHeartCool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.