Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Pre-screenings?

ghost2-14
The Shire

Nov 22 2012, 11:25pm

Post #1 of 21 (893 views)
Shortcut
Pre-screenings? Can't Post

Do you thing there will be pre-screenings before the premiere on the 28th? Were they any for LOTR movies?

When can we expect the first film reviews?

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 11:35pm

Post #2 of 21 (491 views)
Shortcut
Not that I know of [In reply to] Can't Post

There will be screenings for the cast and crew on the 29th and 30th.

The press will also most likely watch it around those dates as the embargo on reviews is being lifted on the 3rd of December.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 22 2012, 11:39pm)

ghost2-14
The Shire

Nov 22 2012, 11:41pm

Post #3 of 21 (466 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

So, we can expect the first word/reviews on the film after the 3rd? Nobody will speak after the 28th?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 11:57pm

Post #4 of 21 (455 views)
Shortcut
There might be some reactions on twitter after the premiere. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that's breaking the embargo.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 22 2012, 11:58pm)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2012, 4:45am

Post #5 of 21 (403 views)
Shortcut
WB must be confident in the film to end the embargo that early. [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor reviews could be a huge buzzkill.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 23 2012, 5:24am

Post #6 of 21 (366 views)
Shortcut
In Hollywood Academy Members can it at 2 sreenings a day [In reply to] Can't Post

Starting on Dec. 2

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 8:10am

Post #7 of 21 (546 views)
Shortcut
Review embargo [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they have an embargo on reviews in the first place? I thought we lived in a democratic world with free speech!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 8:45am

Post #8 of 21 (417 views)
Shortcut
Spoilers! [In reply to] Can't Post

It had nothing to do with free speech. They don't want details getting out too early.

Just like how there are embargoes with new books and magazines. Could you imagine if a shop started selling a new Harry Potter book a month before the rest of the world? There would be outrage!

It gives everyone a level playing ground, and restricts too much information being leaked too soon.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 9:35am

Post #9 of 21 (322 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

A review isnīt supposed to reveal that many spoilers, just give an overview and then go into depths about strengths and weaknesses of said movie. Why would people read reviews before deciding to see a movie if the whole plot is spoiled?

I still think the risk of early bad feedback is the real reason.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 9:53am

Post #10 of 21 (301 views)
Shortcut
That's not the reason at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Embargoes are used for every film, every book release, every magazine release, TV series news and so on.

They're designed completely to stop information getting out too early. They're not trying to stop negative reviews with an embargo.

And what's to stop someone writing a review with all the spoilers? Some decide to spoil everything, while others offer a critical review.

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 10:00am

Post #11 of 21 (286 views)
Shortcut
It doesnīt make much sense to me [In reply to] Can't Post

But most people would not have seen the movie by the 13th of December, so then spoilery details will be leaked to the public anyway. What would it matter that much if reviews were released 28 Nov, 3 Dec, 13 Dec? And you can always avoid information if you want. Nobody forces people to read reviews!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 10:07am

Post #12 of 21 (282 views)
Shortcut
You don't have to read a review to find out information [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit news will hit every major news, entertainment and movie website on the Internet. You can avoid reading a review, but it will still be plastered everywhere.

Embargoes are popular for Doctor Who news - they stop news of the new companion, new Doctor, new/returning monster and so on, from being leaked.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 12:27pm

Post #13 of 21 (247 views)
Shortcut
As Daniel said, this has nothing to do with them being afraid of bad reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

All movies have embargos on reviews. Some even 3-4 days before the movie is released!

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Nov 23 2012, 12:59pm

Post #14 of 21 (240 views)
Shortcut
an abomination [In reply to] Can't Post

As for me, I'll stop accessing this site on the 27th, but I still won't have any high hopes for a good product.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 23 2012, 4:49pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 1:22pm

Post #15 of 21 (248 views)
Shortcut
Embargos are common practice, even if the product is good, this is fact [In reply to] Can't Post

An example for the movie Argo i found (took me 15 seconds), a great movie, according to consensus:

http://thefilmemporium.blogspot.de/...october-viewing.html

I watched a total of 31 films in October, including THE MASTER twice. In fact, I watched ARGO last month but due to an embargo I could not review/discuss the film until mid October. It wasn't a particularly strong month, overall (but there were very few 'bad' films) but the two aforementioned films jumped into my 2012 Top 10.

Hobbit's embargo lifts 10 days before release, it's not a few days like in some other cases.

So please, inform yourself before writing about topics you don't seem to know much about.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 1:28pm

Post #16 of 21 (210 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you know how I feel ... / [In reply to] Can't Post

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Nov 23 2012, 1:43pm

Post #17 of 21 (210 views)
Shortcut
?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you talking to me?I never said anything about embargoes.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 23 2012, 5:58pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 2:16pm

Post #18 of 21 (200 views)
Shortcut
Of course you did [In reply to] Can't Post

You rather intelligently dismissed ("keep lying to yourself") Daniel's posts in which he tried to explain what embargoes are for.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 23 2012, 5:58pm)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 3:27pm

Post #19 of 21 (184 views)
Shortcut
There is competition for page hits and such.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A review isnīt supposed to reveal that many spoilers, just give an overview and then go into depths about strengths and weaknesses of said movie. Why would people read reviews before deciding to see a movie if the whole plot is spoiled?

I still think the risk of early bad feedback is the real reason.

As the other Daniel was correctly pointing out, this levels the playing field. No one site is going to get an unfair advantage on posting an early story thus sucking all the oxygen away from others. Claims of favoritism are also avoided.

And by the way, all companies do this. All try to control when a new product is revealed and in what light it is revealed. And if I was working on a product, I wouldn't want someone finding out about it before I was done with it and ready to let it go out into the world for public scrutiny.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 23 2012, 6:01pm

Post #20 of 21 (148 views)
Shortcut
Personal insults have been removed from this thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

Please stick to the topic and avoid discussing each other, or this subthread will be removed.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Nov 23 2012, 6:06pm

Post #21 of 21 (210 views)
Shortcut
waiting for the reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll wait and see...that I was right.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.