Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Mt Tongariro erupts again
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 2:21am

Post #1 of 29 (252 views)
Shortcut
Mt Tongariro erupts again Can't Post

The focus this week had been on Ruapehu, with vocanologists warning that an eruption is 'more likely' in the next weeks or months - then today Ruapehu's neighbour Tongariro decided to get some attention as well.

It's just ash and gas at this point - no projectiles, which is a blessing for those who were walking on the mountain today.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 4:54am

Post #2 of 29 (133 views)
Shortcut
Now that [In reply to] Can't Post

is just total attention-seeking behaviour.
The kids who were there today will certainly have lasting memories!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 11:21am

Post #3 of 29 (136 views)
Shortcut
One group was only 750 m from it? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a spectacular thing to experience! Yes, it's a good thing it was just the ash and smoke! Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 11:59am

Post #4 of 29 (143 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just ash and gas at this point

Maybe it just needs some of these

WinkAngelic

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 12:36pm

Post #5 of 29 (130 views)
Shortcut
I sense Warner Bros. movie marketers afoot... [In reply to] Can't Post

No "dragons" were reported cited nearby?

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

alienorchid
Lorien

Nov 21 2012, 2:02pm

Post #6 of 29 (120 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

In the back of my mind I have a vague memory of an ad on TV where a guy drops an ant-acid into bubbling mud pools and they stop bubbling - all the tourists are like "aww :(" and leave. I'm pretty sure it must be a NZ ad, and presumably the mud pools are Rotorua but I can't find the ad anywhere!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 2:53pm

Post #7 of 29 (107 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an amazing thing to see while out hiking!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 5:14pm

Post #8 of 29 (108 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't that bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm staying at National Park Village, which is near the base of the volcanoes, and arrived about an hour before the eruption. I couldnt even see the plume of ash from where I was, and some hikers told me they were only a couple of km from it and didn't even hear anything- just saw the ash and smoke. Needless to say, they quickly moved down the mountain. :)

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 5:25pm

Post #9 of 29 (122 views)
Shortcut
Will they let anyone [In reply to] Can't Post

get close enough now, to see it, or is the eruption mostly over?

So are enjoying a bit of hiking before the big event? Smile

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 6:01pm

Post #10 of 29 (106 views)
Shortcut
Wow - it's still really cool (?) that you were that close! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 7:54pm

Post #11 of 29 (100 views)
Shortcut
It was taking Caradhras lessons then-- [In reply to] Can't Post

"I too am a Power in the world!"

But I think it was Smaug practicing his breathing and elocution. Not sure what happened to the voice coach, though (or if he'll ever be found).

The picture online is spectacular. Hope it doesn't do what the one in Iceland did and disrupt air traffic.

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Nov 21 2012, 7:55pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 7:55pm

Post #12 of 29 (98 views)
Shortcut
Have they ever erupted in a dangerous way? [In reply to] Can't Post

As in, there totally exists non-dangerous volcanic eruptions... Crazy

And as in, while NZ has been inhabitated by humans.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 7:59pm

Post #13 of 29 (113 views)
Shortcut
Trails closed for now [In reply to] Can't Post

The department of Conservation has closed the Tongariro track, which was not expected to be reopened for at least three days.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=10849136

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 9:39pm

Post #14 of 29 (96 views)
Shortcut
If it erupts on premiere day, it is more than coincidence! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope people stay safe.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 9:49pm

Post #15 of 29 (91 views)
Shortcut
Pic and a video of the eruption [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here.

Sounds like no one was hurt and there was no property damage... look's cool!

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 21 2012, 10:00pm

Post #16 of 29 (103 views)
Shortcut
There are three volcanoes [In reply to] Can't Post

in this spot of the central plateau: Tongariro, Ngauruhoe (which is part of Tongariro) and Ruapehu. Ruapehu is the most active - you can see more of its eruption history here. It's most lethal recent activity was in the 1950s when a tephra dam (caused by an eruption a few years earlier) broke, causing a lahar to wash down the Whangaehu Stream and destroy a railbridge. A train travelling at night crashed into the river and a lot of people died.

Tongariro had been inactive until a couple of months ago when it erupted with an ash plume for the first time in 100 years.

A bit of quick and dirty Maori history: Mt Taranaki was said to have been in the central plateau as well until he fought with Tongariro over the love of the bush-clad hill Pihanga. Taranaki lost, and Tongariro booted him out (and he travelled to where he is now, on the North Island's west coast). We could say that Tongariro has spotted Taranaki making eyes at Pihanga again and is showing his displeasure with ash signals...

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 22 2012, 12:47am

Post #17 of 29 (86 views)
Shortcut
That thing seems to be moving toward them after a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not underestimate anything there knowing the speed of that stuff and the deathly suffocating element of it. Gaging that (i am sure would be a premier experience for all there) would be an iffy thing.

But it is a mesmerizing thing isn't it? It is amazing to me understanding how old this planet is, that there is still a so a very potent/powerful pyrotechnic force at work below us.

*Sporting Colonial Blake's mannerism* "BOOM!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2012, 3:18am

Post #18 of 29 (98 views)
Shortcut
Wow! That's a great look at it! [In reply to] Can't Post

That so cool! I wonder if that took pressure off of Ruapehu? Thank you for the link :)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2012, 3:32am

Post #19 of 29 (92 views)
Shortcut
The secret behind it: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10849148

:)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 22 2012, 3:38am

Post #20 of 29 (98 views)
Shortcut
Boy they're good... [In reply to] Can't Post

:D

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2012, 12:26pm

Post #21 of 29 (84 views)
Shortcut
Indubitably. Yeah, they're good. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 23 2012, 5:10am

Post #22 of 29 (124 views)
Shortcut
A reporter on TV just referred to the volcano as [In reply to] Can't Post

'overwrought', which I rather liked. Cool

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 10:30pm

Post #23 of 29 (56 views)
Shortcut
Mountains in love [In reply to] Can't Post

In Lapland the Sámi people tell the story of Saana and Malla, two fells standing on the shores of the Lake Kilpisjärvi, a lake where Finland, Sweden and Norway meet.

Ages ago when the giants still populated the land, Malla was a maiden who wished to marry a young man called Saana. They were already celebrating their weddings, when Pertsa, a man from Sweden, came to claim Malla for himself. He and his wizards made ice to storm out of the north. The people who had gathered at the weddings fled, but Saana picked Malla up on his arms to carry her to safety. However, they weren't fast enough and they were buried under the ice sheet. The long years of the world have turned them into stone, and still they stand there by the Lake Kilpisjärvi, where Malla's tears fall into the lake. (Finland's tallest waterfall runs from Malla into Kilpisjärvi.)

Or that's how I've come to know the tale. It might be different in its original forms. However, Kilpisjärvi is my favourite place in the world, and I've been to both Malla and Saana (and the waterfall, her tears!) so the story is dear to me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 23 2012, 10:34pm

Post #24 of 29 (50 views)
Shortcut
The Sámi have the best stories and tales [In reply to] Can't Post

And are the friendliest community I've ever been invited into.

I'm not aware of this particular one. Thank you for sharing.Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 10:38pm

Post #25 of 29 (51 views)
Shortcut
When have you been invited to Sámi community? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do tell, do tell!

Their costumes are also amazing. Uplifting brightness combined with pragticality.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.