Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Nice little spoiler in this Sir Ian McKellen interview
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Nov 22 2012, 8:15pm

Post #1 of 30 (1800 views)
Shortcut
Nice little spoiler in this Sir Ian McKellen interview Can't Post

link

Sir Ian says during the film's development has been forthcoming with Jackson and his co-writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. For one, he felt that the relationship between Gandalf and Bilbo needed a little history.
He suggested a scene showing the wizard being introduced to a baby Bilbo and his mother Belladonna Took and it was shot. He's not sure if the scene will make the final cut of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but his suggestion was taken seriously.
''We see Gandalf observing this little boy who's full of beans and full of adventure. And I let him play with [a] toy dragon that I've got.
''And when he's thinking, 'Who should we get? Oh, there's that little boy'. And he goes back to Hobbiton to meet this little boy who's now grown up and is a real stodgy, dull, settled, unadventurous person. And he's so disappointed. 'What happened to you? Come on! You've got to go on an adventure, it'll be good for you. Get back your childish enthusiasm!'''

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 8:24pm

Post #2 of 30 (771 views)
Shortcut
I'm very glad we'll (hopefully) see this [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's important to explain why Gandalf chose to pick Bilbo, especially for the general audience.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 22 2012, 8:24pm)

utku
Rivendell

Nov 22 2012, 8:33pm

Post #3 of 30 (693 views)
Shortcut
So cool [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene sounds very good, however I think it could be more fitting as a flashback prologue in the forthcoming sequels. Like if the third movie is set to begin with Smaug and Bilbo riddle game, then it could be cool to have baby Bilbo playing with a toy dragon in the flashback, much like RotK. Smile But then again, the real purpose of the scene is to set the relationship between Gandalf and Bilbo so if it will be featured, the first movie is the most likely.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 9:05pm

Post #4 of 30 (635 views)
Shortcut
So does Bifur have one of Gandalf's toys in the trailer? // [In reply to] Can't Post

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 22 2012, 9:07pm

Post #5 of 30 (618 views)
Shortcut
No. One of Bifur's character descriptions mentions that he's a toymaker [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 9:07pm

Post #6 of 30 (689 views)
Shortcut
Belladonna Took [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope we get to see her! I don't know why, but I think it'd be cool. She's one of those obscure characters who would be fun to see.

And anyway, in the book, isn't Bilbo at least familiar with Gandalf and his fireworks? So this is basically just an extension of that. Those kind of additions/expansions are the things I like best (rather than something completely made up).

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 9:12pm

Post #7 of 30 (597 views)
Shortcut
So.... did he make the toy dragon? Hehe // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 9:13pm

Post #8 of 30 (650 views)
Shortcut
And you do know my name, though you don't remember that I belong to it [In reply to] Can't Post

He was too young to remember, apparently. Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 9:17pm

Post #9 of 30 (617 views)
Shortcut
Perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfectly in line with the book. At least, it seems to be so far.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2012, 9:25pm

Post #10 of 30 (650 views)
Shortcut
That just sounds simply wonderful... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope that it makes it in. As has been said already, a fine example of the scriptwriters at their best!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 22 2012, 9:53pm

Post #11 of 30 (559 views)
Shortcut
Hey DanielB and company! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. Remember we had suggested from those party scenes that we would probably see young Bilbo in Gandalf's company. At the time, I even suggested it might be one of Gandalf's dragon fireworks that inspired Bilbo's interest in Dragons and adventure. Interesting if it pans out thus.

In Reply To
link

Sir Ian says during the film's development has been forthcoming with Jackson and his co-writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens. For one, he felt that the relationship between Gandalf and Bilbo needed a little history.
He suggested a scene showing the wizard being introduced to a baby Bilbo and his mother Belladonna Took and it was shot. He's not sure if the scene will make the final cut of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but his suggestion was taken seriously.
''We see Gandalf observing this little boy who's full of beans and full of adventure. And I let him play with [a] toy dragon that I've got.
''And when he's thinking, 'Who should we get? Oh, there's that little boy'. And he goes back to Hobbiton to meet this little boy who's now grown up and is a real stodgy, dull, settled, unadventurous person. And he's so disappointed. 'What happened to you? Come on! You've got to go on an adventure, it'll be good for you. Get back your childish enthusiasm!'''

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 22 2012, 9:55pm

Post #12 of 30 (558 views)
Shortcut
I entirely agree with this statement. [In reply to] Can't Post

It Is my sentiment exactly.

In Reply To

And anyway, in the book, isn't Bilbo at least familiar with Gandalf and his fireworks? So this is basically just an extension of that. Those kind of additions/expansions are the things I like best (rather than something completely made up).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 22 2012, 10:03pm

Post #13 of 30 (528 views)
Shortcut
This was a nice interview. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good reading overall.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 22 2012, 10:07pm

Post #14 of 30 (534 views)
Shortcut
Sounds wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

And the thought of it leaves me with a warm fuzzy feeling.

I wish Gandalf was real.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 22 2012, 10:11pm

Post #15 of 30 (518 views)
Shortcut
I'm certainly up for this [In reply to] Can't Post

It would give a very nice background and in-depth touch to it. Smile

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

tolktolk
Lorien

Nov 22 2012, 10:14pm

Post #16 of 30 (516 views)
Shortcut
Vlog 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this has been said before, but I believe you can see this party scene at about the four minute mark in production video 5. I am sure it will be included in the film, as it ties in so well with the scene with Gandalf talking to Bilbo in Bag End and saying "The world is out there".

I also said this on another thread, but the vlog also shows that Andy Serkis' two sons are in this scene dressed as hobbits, and the younger one looks just like a baby Bilbo ...

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 22 2012, 10:24pm

Post #17 of 30 (493 views)
Shortcut
If Gandalf was real, the world would be a truly wonderful place [In reply to] Can't Post

Although at least he is partially real in the form of Ian McKellen, who like Gandalf has certainly made the world a better place through his acting as well as through his LGBT Rights campaigning. I admit that a tear came to my eye when I read Ian's remark in the article (Regarding his daily thoughts about his own death).

Frankly, I think that in many ways Tolkien was Gandalf (ignoring the obvious interest in tobacco shared by both of them) as Tolkien's level of imagination certainly bordered on the superhuman on many occasions as seen in his writing. I always think that an author uses at least one character to act as their voice, often an older and wiser/more reasonable character. Tolkien uses many characters like this but not least Gandalf (though I think Faramir was probably the closest to Tolkien himself). Furthermore, McKellen based his accent for Gandalf on Tolkien, which certainly hints a strong similarity.

Anyhow, you never know, any day soon Merlin might re-awaken and save the world from the crisis that has befallen it...

Wink

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 10:29pm

Post #18 of 30 (474 views)
Shortcut
Could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems to be the only child hobbit wearing a jacket, close to the one seen in the art book Smile

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 22 2012, 10:33pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 4:34pm

Post #19 of 30 (251 views)
Shortcut
PJ, PJ, let this be in the final cut! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't axe this like you did the Sons of the Steward, the best scene in the entire TTT.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 5:19pm

Post #20 of 30 (243 views)
Shortcut
Sons of the Steward [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent! I can't imagine why it left out.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 23 2012, 8:28pm

Post #21 of 30 (189 views)
Shortcut
It was left out to keep the run-time under 3 hours. [In reply to] Can't Post

A task that was much too overwhelming in ROTK, but in FOTR and TTT they managed it for the theatrical versions. I myself have never seen the theatrical versions so Sons of the Steward has always been part of the movie for me. (If it is indeed the scene I am thinking of. It's the scene where Boromir has his speech, right?)

“This task was appointed to you…and if you don’t find a way, no one will.” – Lady Galadriel

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 8:31pm

Post #22 of 30 (183 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they were trying to keep the runtime down, but what I meant was why was that scene cut and not another?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 9:31pm

Post #23 of 30 (174 views)
Shortcut
Sons of Steward shouldn't have been the scene to cut [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead, they should have gotten rid of the Attack of the Ugly Mongrel Hyenas and Aragorn's "KING OF GONDOR TAKES NO BATHS, KING OF GONDOR NEEDS NO BATHS!!!" fake death scene. And then used the spared time for character developement.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2012, 9:48pm

Post #24 of 30 (155 views)
Shortcut
But in the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

They wanted Aragorn to be able to come storming into Helm's Deep after having seen Saruman's army.

If you were trying to separate Aragorn (to preserve that moment), how would you do it without the warg attack and fake death?

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2012, 10:00pm

Post #25 of 30 (155 views)
Shortcut
The core of Jackson's adaptation [In reply to] Can't Post

Was to be quite ruthless about telling the tale through a very few key characters (Frodo, Aragorn and, to an extent, Gandalf). Very few things which did not contribute to the narratives of these keystones made the cut.

LR

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.