Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What have you been listening to ?

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 22 2012, 2:17am

Post #1 of 22 (216 views)
Shortcut
What have you been listening to ? Can't Post

I have been neglecting the music thread lately, but with good reason. I have been trying to avoid TORn like a sickness to avoid Hobbit spoilers ! I saw that pic of one of the wolves...then I saw the soundtrack ( or parts of it...) are available....and I simply won't have it ! Laugh

I very much desire a pure experience, free of spoilers, from now until release nightSmile

Thankfully, I have my music to keep my brain occupied until then. A few recent favorites being...

Papa Celestin - Marie Laveau
Daedelus - Unadventurer ( Featuring Subtitle )
Liv Kristine - SkintightHeart
Ioanna Gika - Gone ( Snow White and the Huntsman soundtrack )
Alan Silvestri - The Avengers theme

Happy Thanksgiving to all my American TORnfolk !

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 22 2012, 2:50am

Post #2 of 22 (140 views)
Shortcut
I heard a new song twice today that I liked a lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvpoiiBW9bc

That music line just grooves! I heard it once and liked it a lot. Later, I thought... what was that new Jack White song I liked? Can I find it if I google? And then I heard it again! lol. I thought, I sure hope Hamfast posts a music thread. I want to post this song. Wonder where he's been.

I first saw Jack White in the movie Cold Mountain. I knew nothing about him before that. I'm not a huge fan but I like a lot of what he does.

Two random thoughts on Jack.

One: in that video, I thought he looked a lot like Jimmy Fallon and now I want Jimmy to do a Jack White music parody.

Two: Jack White is kind of a dark, gothic looking guy. Jack Black is this light hearted, jovial guy. Their names are mixed up and I always get them wrong and have to backspace over the last name I've written.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 22 2012, 3:08am

Post #3 of 22 (126 views)
Shortcut
and that got me thinking about... [In reply to] Can't Post

folk/traditional songs done with a twist.

What got me thinking about that, you ask yourself? Well, I heard some Jack White song a few years back that had a fairly strong folk/traditional vibe laid on it and I haven't been able to track it down. Remembering that got me thinking about another song I heard about the same time.

Folk/traditional songs are among my favorites and in the Morris Dance community, where singing happens often, British traditional songs are prevalent.

One that we all loved to sing was Tom of Bedlam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_o'_Bedlam

This is the song with the great verse:
My staff has murdered giants
My bag a long knife carries
To cut mince pies from children's thighs
For which to feed the fairies.

Here it is sung by John Roberts and Tony Barrand (shout out to Aunt Dora)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_TQ-Ia7Bs

And here it is with a more contemporary twist by Jolie Holland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZXJuk5zNZ8

I like that little lift she puts on 'bonny' at the end of the line in the chorus.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 3:11am

Post #4 of 22 (149 views)
Shortcut
Already been done. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a White Stripes skit on SNL, with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore as Jack and Meg. :)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Nov 22 2012, 3:13am)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 22 2012, 3:17am

Post #5 of 22 (119 views)
Shortcut
I'll have to go look for it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2012, 3:24am

Post #6 of 22 (159 views)
Shortcut
Ask me in a couple of weeks ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

THEN I'll be twitching and overloaded on listening to a new soundtrack :D

In the meantime, I've just finished Harry Potter Goblet of Fire and started up on Order of the Phoenix. In the truck, I'm listening to The Broker audio book by John Grisham. It's almost a companion now!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 22 2012, 4:30pm

Post #7 of 22 (112 views)
Shortcut
Vivaldi's "Gloria" [In reply to] Can't Post

We're performing it in 10 days & I'm the alto soloist, and I still don't quite have the "Qui Sedes" down pat, so I put it on and sing along several times a day.

Other than that, been enjoying a "fusion" program my little town's local radio station puts on every day. Yesterday it was rock ragas.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 6:10pm

Post #8 of 22 (108 views)
Shortcut
nice! I do like his gloria. [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome that you're the soloist!! wow Annael Cool
Here's one of Zelenka's gloria's which I love: gloria

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 6:14pm

Post #9 of 22 (233 views)
Shortcut
I came across this ridiculously amazing Serbian folk violinist from someone I know in Barliman's Chat: [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't stop WOW-ing @ it haha:
here

ShockedShockedShockedCool

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

batik
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2012, 8:20pm

Post #10 of 22 (95 views)
Shortcut
Going to use that link in a minute.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jack White! Now I can't recall if I heard his music first or saw him in Cold Mountain first--the former I think. Have you seen him in It Might Get Loud --with Jimmy Page and Edge? He's a very talented and interesting guy.

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 24 2012, 7:37pm

Post #11 of 22 (102 views)
Shortcut
I like that Jack White song [In reply to] Can't Post

and like you, i'm not a huge fan of his work, but I am often impressed with his talent and eclectic approach.

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 24 2012, 7:45pm

Post #12 of 22 (90 views)
Shortcut
gramma....a query.... [In reply to] Can't Post

will you listen to The Hobbit soundtrack before you see the film ? I have the deluxe cd ordered on amazon, and noticed it should be delivered a few days before the film is released......those few days of having that soundtrack in hand are going to be rough, but I refuse to partake before I see it coupled with the visual majesty ! Laugh

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 24 2012, 8:01pm

Post #13 of 22 (83 views)
Shortcut
Wow is right ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stanojevic is slaughtering that fiddle Laugh !

Very impressive indeed.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2012, 3:14pm

Post #14 of 22 (82 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Alan Silvestri, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really glad that he hasn't really failed to impress with how long he's been in the game. Really hope he remains a regular for the Marvel Cineverse, loved Cap's score as well as Avengers'.

I've actually been listening to a variety of superhero/comic book scores. I made a new mix recently that's a sort of 'best of' that kind of flows through the structure of a superhero movie. It has some recognizable cues from John Williams' Superman, Danny Elfman's Batman, and some lesser known like Henry Jackman's X-Men First Class and Jerry Goldsmith's The Shadow (which is a highly overshadowed film, by the way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLGAadxdK4A

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Nov 26 2012, 3:17pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 1:37am

Post #15 of 22 (65 views)
Shortcut
Yes! I definitely will... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, I've been as anxious to finally hear the soundtrack as I am to see the film(s).

When the FotR soundtrack came out, it was well before the film's release. I had the most overwhelming, surreal experience when I heard the music before any imagery could affect it. I had track titles and the life within each piece of music that carried me off into pure imagination. I did that with all 3 films, and each time it was magical. Shore's music captures the story incredibly well!

I've been so antsy to experience that again with The Hobbit... a completely different story in a very familiar world. This is more of the "discovery" I've been banging on about. Once I hear it... see it... it will never be a "first time" again, and I'll fill it with my own noise (emotions, judgement, comparisons with book). I'm going to milk these 3 soundtracks and films for every "discovery" and "first time" I can pull outta them! It's gonna be GREAT! *twitch*

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

Unused Scenes

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 2:18am

Post #16 of 22 (75 views)
Shortcut
To each his own, right ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much wish to hear and see the entire presentation as PJ intended it.....but the urge to open that cd and pop it in the computer will be overwhelming ! I find it strange that studios release the music before the film comes out....I guess it has to do with distribution and getting the product to the shelves so it's ready to buy when the film is released.

( pssst....did you order the special edition too ? It looks gorgeous ! Just reading the track titles makes me giddy ! )

Hamfast
Rohan

Nov 27 2012, 2:23am

Post #17 of 22 (60 views)
Shortcut
Excellent idea ! [In reply to] Can't Post

A superhero music mix....my mind is racing at the possibilities ! I think my ipod will have a new playlist soonSmile

Agreed regarding The Shadow....underrated movie and music.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 3:06pm

Post #18 of 22 (70 views)
Shortcut
You bet! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

On all counts! Definitely got the special edition! And that's a very good point. Why release the music before the film? I'm very impressed with your fortitude in NOT having a peek at the music before seeing the movie! You're made of stronger stuff than me ;)

(pssst.... those track titles got me twitchy-giddy, too!!! )

OMG! Can I stand the strain!?

sample

Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 27 2012, 10:00pm

Post #19 of 22 (57 views)
Shortcut
90 second samples are back on the web [In reply to] Can't Post

http://soundcloud.com/...hobbit-an-unexpected

Man, that first track just gets me right off the bat!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 28 2012, 2:15am

Post #20 of 22 (51 views)
Shortcut
oh my... [In reply to] Can't Post

oh Magpie... I haven't listened to these spots for several days now... and those first few are as far as I've gotten. I couldn't believe that they've hit me harder now than before. How does Shore do it? I'm a mess... and he's really calmed my concerns expressed in my footer...

"I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world."

He's firmly planted me right back there again... right where I belong.

Thank you for this... :)

sample

Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 28 2012, 2:21am

Post #21 of 22 (55 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to explain how I was feeling at Doug's blog and did a pretty poor job of it.

It's like hearing... or seeing something for the first time and it's so perfect it's as if you've known it all your life.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 28 2012, 10:21am

Post #22 of 22 (97 views)
Shortcut
yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's VERY well said!

Here's something it makes me think of: Actually, it's part of something that has been on my mind for several days that I've read over and over again...

Frodo stood awhile still lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful.

sample

Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.