Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Very interesting article

imin
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 5:30pm

Views: 112
Shortcut
Very interesting article [In reply to] Can't Post

I am surprised so few have viewed this thread or posted in it.

here are some quotes from the article i think are worth a look:

'The lawsuit argues that Warner Brothers is trying to convert what was a limited right to profit from J.R.R. Tolkienís intellectual property into an unlimited right to use The Lord of the Rings and its characters as they see fit. '

OK i dont know how they can legally show what is tangible or intangible but i do believe it is the estates right to have some control over JRRT intellectual property - otherwise WB will just do whatever it can to maximise their profits, they wont care about anything else.

Next section:
'It isnít just the Tolkien estate and its charitable arm that are suing Warner Brothers; it is also HarperCollins, the holder of the English language rights to both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. There is a lot at stake here for them as well. You now have a tug-of-war to decide who controls the iconography of Tolkienís masterworks and their place in our society. On the one side you have the estate of the original creator and the publisher of his works. On the other side, there is the company behind one of the largest film franchises in history.'

For me the iconography should always be the source material, especially when the source material is better as is the case we have with JRRT compared to WB. I would prefer people found the books first, but the films are out there now so people can find them through the films, to me it doesnt mean the films have to be the defining mental image in the publics mind.

Finally:
'It is worth pointing out that it was the production company that folded at the end of round one between these two juggernauts. After laughably claiming that they didnít make any money at all on three of the highest-grossing films of all time, the production company coughed up 7.5 percent of their profits to the Tolkien Estate in order to settle a lawsuit that paved the way for the filming of The Hobbit, according to the French paper Le Monde. We will see if they try to pull the same ďwe didnít make any moneyĒ stunt on the next three films.'

Essentially saying that WB were not going to give the Tolkien Estate what they were due - its disgusting really they had the nerve to say a 3billion dollar franchise (from movies alone so far) made no money. Some people seem to forget there would be no movies if it were not for JRRT in the first place.

I can imagine WB doing the same thing again and Tolkien Estate having to go after what they are owed all over again in terms of the profits from the films.

Subject User Time
Geek Dad's Erik Wecks has some insight into the Tolkien Estate's lawsuit News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Nov 22 2012, 12:16am
    Thank you I find this so Gross Bomby is siding with Christopher Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Nov 22 2012, 10:47am
    Arrrrgghhhh. worldsmiths Send a private message to worldsmiths Nov 22 2012, 5:13pm
    Very interesting article imin Send a private message to imin Nov 22 2012, 5:30pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.