The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
King bladorthin

flameofudun
Lorien

Nov 18 2012, 4:02am

Post #1 of 9 (2055 views)
Shortcut
King bladorthin Can't Post

So I was reading the hobbit earlier today and discovered a name I have paid little heed to in the past. King bladorthin. It is in the chapter where balin and thorin talk about crafting the spears for bladorthin. I will give the page number and chapter tommorow for your reference, but what is your opinion on this character? Speculation is, obviously, permitted. I have scoured the web and come up with the fact that the general opinon is he was a human. Some, myself included, beloved he may have come from above or below rhun, and he and his people held of the men of rhun, thus preventing their conquest of the rohavion. Let me know what you think,

Flameofudun

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 4:39am

Post #2 of 9 (1330 views)
Shortcut
Is it possible he is one of Bard's ancestors? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apart from his name and that he engaged in trade with the dwarves of Erebor, there really is not much to go on.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Nov 18 2012, 5:14am

Post #3 of 9 (1385 views)
Shortcut
bladorthin [In reply to] Can't Post

John Rateliff did a two volume analysis called the History of the Hobbit and it covers the earliest drafts of the story by Tolkien. Some of the character names changed, Gandalf was originally the Wizard Bladorthin for example. Beorn was originally named Medwed. Maybe the name and its usage is a mere holdover from a name Tolkien originally planned for Gandalf.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 7:17am

Post #4 of 9 (1292 views)
Shortcut
These posts are wearing Bladorthin. [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughWink we need a trailer.

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Nov 18 2012, 7:18am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 18 2012, 7:23am

Post #5 of 9 (1277 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing it was Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

He likes to mess with people's minds.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2012, 7:46am

Post #6 of 9 (1276 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea that he was King of Dorwinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes a neat tie in with the mention of the Elvenking's prized wines!

http://lalaith.vpsurf.de/Tolkien/Bladorthin.html

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

burgahobbit
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 3:01pm

Post #7 of 9 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Was about to post the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I think his spears are just a way to keep the name Bladorthin in the book. It's funny, while reading HOTH (History of the Hobbit) I really got used to Thorin being Gandalf and Gandalf being Bladorthin, but now it feels very foreign to me once again.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 18 2012, 4:08pm

Post #8 of 9 (1139 views)
Shortcut
I think this is the best explanation too. [In reply to] Can't Post

There we go! Once Disney buys the franchise, there's a film idea right there!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

flameofudun
Lorien

Nov 22 2012, 3:22am

Post #9 of 9 (1216 views)
Shortcut
No! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't even joke about that!! Shocked of Disney bought the franchise I would die! PirateFrownFrown

Seriously now, dorwinion may seem like a good option.... I'll have to do my research on this...Crazy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.