Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is this long bearded Thorin pic old news?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

imin
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 8:50pm

Post #51 of 77 (411 views)
Shortcut
Keep it ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 9:00pm

Post #52 of 77 (412 views)
Shortcut
Boys will be boys eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep it, its quite a beautifull avatar.

You will never be mistaken for a dark hearted purist TongueWink

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 9:01pm

Post #53 of 77 (441 views)
Shortcut
At least these never saw the light of day: [In reply to] Can't Post

Dissaproved by PJ, replaced by the Chase Dress

Early concept for Dream Dress.

And another one.

Can see why the original Dream Dress concepts didn't get the PJ Star, but the original Chase Dress is IMHO prettier, somehow more Elvish.

There must have been many more, for all the dresses seen and unseen in the final film.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 9:06pm

Post #54 of 77 (416 views)
Shortcut
That [In reply to] Can't Post

dream dress, reminds me of a gown a certain character in a song of ice and fire wears and make me sorry the GOT team didnt stick to the books when it comes to Daenerys Targaryen's dresses Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 9:14pm

Post #55 of 77 (418 views)
Shortcut
He looks great! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 9:14pm

Post #56 of 77 (425 views)
Shortcut
Stunning [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially that first one! I wonder why it was rejected. I think her chase dress turned out lovely, though. But the purple and maroon (or is it brown?) look lovely as well.

The early dream dress looks like it would have been lovely. As would the third one.

What I'd love to see are better screen shots of all Arwen's dresses that made it to film, but not into the films.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 9:21pm

Post #57 of 77 (407 views)
Shortcut
Ehhh...they were never going to get away with a PG-13 rating had they used that first "dream dress" [In reply to] Can't Post

Really like the first outfit, however, though it is a bit overly busy.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 9:33pm

Post #58 of 77 (393 views)
Shortcut
He didn't say that [In reply to] Can't Post

It was his short fake beard that wasn't working. They got rid of it after block 1 filming, once RA had grown his out.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 9:38pm

Post #59 of 77 (397 views)
Shortcut
Are you familiar with these? [In reply to] Can't Post

Very-Faery has in her Arwen section pretty good write-ups and pictures of the White Weta Dress and the Cranberry Dress, of both of which we've only seen a glimpse of a shoulder on film.

Costumer's Guide has some pictures of the Rose Dress, Arch Dress and Lavender Beaded.

By the way, what's up with her Battle Dress? It looks highly unpragtical.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 9:51pm

Post #60 of 77 (375 views)
Shortcut
White Weta Dress [In reply to] Can't Post

It's lovely. And if it's actually for the scene of Aragorn and Arwen's first meeting, I'm even more anxious to see it someday.

I think I've seen most of these dresses before. But they're all very good. Ngila was a very skilled costume artist.

I have more to say, but I'll have to say it later. I'm in a hurry right now.

Oh, and yeah that battle dress would have been her undoing!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 11:11pm

Post #61 of 77 (345 views)
Shortcut
Some more thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Lavender Beaded dress is very nice. And how awesome is it to see a picture of Cate and Liv together? They're both gorgeous women, and their elven costumes only enhance their beauty. For some reason, that picture also reminds me of Melian and Galadriel in The Silmarillion, only they'd be reversed, with Galadriel sitting and Melian standing (being the older and wiser of the two).

I wonder what the cranberry dress was for. It's actually very similar to the 'dying' dress. I wonder if it was an earlier concept of it.

The picture of Elrond and Arwen standing beneath the arch is very lovely. I wonder what they're talking about.

I hope many of these scenes eventually make it to some sort of DVD/Blu-ray set as deleted scenes.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 11:22pm

Post #62 of 77 (346 views)
Shortcut
You are correct sir! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was his short fake beard that wasn't working. They got rid of it after block 1 filming, once RA had grown his out.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 21 2012, 11:23pm)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 11:30pm

Post #63 of 77 (338 views)
Shortcut
The Cranberry Dress was briefly seen in TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

When Arwen kisses Aragorn back to life after his forced bath, you can see tiny glimpse of red and silver around her shoulder. It was Liv's favourite dress... Speak about waste! No wonder Ngila was sometimes desperate.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 22 2012, 12:40am

Post #64 of 77 (308 views)
Shortcut
One day [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they show us that scene with Galadriel and Arwen in Rivendell, I would love to see it. Not too keen on the colour of the Arch Dress, but thats another scene I have only seen in photos and would like to be shown on film. wow so many cut scenes with Liv in her lovely dresses. Unsure

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 22 2012, 1:15am

Post #65 of 77 (299 views)
Shortcut
It's a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

we didn't see the dawn and the twilight, Galadriel and Arwen together on screen.

Finrod
Rohan

Nov 22 2012, 2:31am

Post #66 of 77 (292 views)
Shortcut
The three elven stars: morning, noon, and evening [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
we didn't see the dawn and the twilight, Galadriel and Arwen together on screen.

No, Galadriel was never the dawn. I have here written of this before, saying that:
As Arwen Undómiel was the evenstar of her people and Lúthien their morning star, Galadriel was their daystar, fierce and bright as the noontide sun.
Rather, it was not Arwen but Lúthien Tinúviel who was her people’s morning star, as was Arwen their evening one.
In Beleriand in those days the Elves walked, and the rivers flowed, and the stars shone, and the night-flowers gave forth their scents; and the beauty of Melian was as the noon, and the beauty of Lúthien was as the dawn in spring.
Galadriel, though, was the daystar of her people’s noontide, the star that at its zenith blazes brightest of all. Of course she should be brightest, for she alone of the three had seen the untarnished light of the Trees.
A sister they had, Galadriel, most beautiful of all the house of Finwë; her hair was lit with gold as though it had caught in a mesh the radiance of Laurelin.
Galadriel’s light was the light of the full bliss of the elves. That is why Sam said to Frodo:
He turned and saw that Sam was now standing beside him, looking round with a puzzled expression, and rubbing his eyes as if he was not sure that he was awake. ‘It’s sunlight and bright day, right enough,’ he said. ‘I thought that Elves were all for moon and stars: but this is more elvish than anything I ever heard tell of. I feel as if I was inside a song. if you take my meaning.’
Sunlight and bright day, more elvish than anything else. It was that bright day of elves from before the rising of the sun that Sam beheld like a living dream there in Lórien in a vision vouchsafed him by the power of the Lady who dwelt there, held in her memory of that time before time. Galadriel is her people’s daystar.

It is nonetheless said that Lúthien beheld that perfect light in which Galadriel was born reflected in her divine mother’s face. Certainly it graced her own when she wore the Silmaril. Her light is the beakon of hope, unreachably high.

The light of Arwen the Evenstar was like unto neither of the others, but was made beautiful by its fading, and by its rarity.
So it was that Frodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen; Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Lúthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undómiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people.
And right this was, for Arwen dwelt in the house upon which the stars of heaven shone most brightly:
Therefore ere the Third Age was ended the Elves perceived that the Ring of Sapphire was with Elrond, in the fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone; whereas the Ring of Adamant was in the Land of Lórien where dwelt the Lady Galadriel.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2012, 2:35am

Post #67 of 77 (298 views)
Shortcut
Lovely post. [In reply to] Can't Post

And well said. Thanks for that. Smile

Silverlode

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 3:05am

Post #68 of 77 (263 views)
Shortcut
It was that one? [In reply to] Can't Post

We barely got to see any of it. That's annoying.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 3:10am

Post #69 of 77 (306 views)
Shortcut
I want to see them all as well [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be a wealth of deleted scenes left. I very much want to see them all, especially all the ones with the lovely Liv.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 22 2012, 5:03am

Post #70 of 77 (246 views)
Shortcut
My quote was a poor reference to the disucssion between Gimli & Eomer about the two women [In reply to] Can't Post

...however since you bring up the correction, I would disagree. The sun represented the waning of the elves and the ascension of men. The comparisms of quality between Galadriel and the sun are less accurate than those of her and the trees of Valinor. The sun (and moon) were a less hallowed version of the light, subject to corruption by Melkor/Morgoth, created from the tree after their poisoning if we are going down the path of the Silmarillion myth as edited by CT. The light of the trees reflected the full splendor of the Undying Lands in the noon tide of it's bliss, not the sun and moon. Sunlight and bright day are the musings of a rustic hobbit. Any truth in the matter would compare her to the trees, and she is only compared to the sun in the story by those who know no better.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 22 2012, 12:38pm

Post #71 of 77 (196 views)
Shortcut
beautiful post Finrod, [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, it was a pleasure to read. Evil

narflet
Bree

Nov 22 2012, 5:12pm

Post #72 of 77 (182 views)
Shortcut
Harper Design is US publisher imprint; HarperCollins is UK publisher [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll be exactly the same (except for publishers info), but you'll pay more to have the US edition in the UK and visa versa.

(This post was edited by narflet on Nov 22 2012, 5:17pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 5:26pm

Post #73 of 77 (161 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for clearing that up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2012, 5:55pm

Post #74 of 77 (154 views)
Shortcut
But as I said previously... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the number of pages is substantially different - 208 compared to 272! That's more than just publisher's info... Something to do with the change from 2 to 3 films, perhaps?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ż Victoria Monfort

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 7:38pm

Post #75 of 77 (129 views)
Shortcut
The US publisher page has probably not been updated [In reply to] Can't Post

Though Amazon also lists two books; one at 272 pages and one at 208 Unsure

Though as you said, 272 might have been before the trilogy announcement.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.