"...this Gandalf wasn't quite the same character as before." Sir Ian Can't Post

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=10848814

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 10:37pm

Post #2 of 66 (1318 views)
Shortcut
PJ: "be more funny" - me not liking :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, again, fears are back this will be a comedy for the most part, and not just part 1. Unsure

marcuspaine
Bree

Nov 21 2012, 10:39pm

Post #3 of 66 (1309 views)
Shortcut
It's going to be too serious, it's not going to be serious enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter what he does, PJ simply can't win.

When the film is released, we'll know what the tone is like.

imin
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 10:45pm

Post #4 of 66 (1247 views)
Shortcut
We already knew it was going to be like that [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont like that it is almost certainly (from all the interviews done) going to be that way but i have come to accept it and feel that although it may be more comic, it wont be a full blown comedy.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 10:47pm

Post #5 of 66 (1203 views)
Shortcut
Not the extent. More funny than LOTR can mean a lot. // [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 10:51pm

Post #6 of 66 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

For me i figured it would be perhaps a little too comedic from what they have been saying for awhile now, but ultimately as i havent seen it i cant say for sure, lol.

Its probably helped lower my expectations down to a more realistic level. And when i think of Bilbo giving his little speech from tv spot 6, makes me feel better, lol.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 10:52pm

Post #7 of 66 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, more scenes like that please! // [In reply to] Can't Post

nobofthepony
Lorien

Nov 21 2012, 11:14pm

Post #8 of 66 (1152 views)
Shortcut
No worries...I'm sure Gandalf won't be slipping on banana peels when confronting the Necromancer...as the story progresses, it will get serious // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 11:17pm

Post #9 of 66 (1135 views)
Shortcut
Yay TV spot #6.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 11:21pm

Post #10 of 66 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Come on PJ, "more funny" isn't even proper English! [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the word you were looking for was "funnier"? CrazyCool

I don't know, I hope TH films are more better than what a lot of what we've seen suggests.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2012, 11:22pm

Post #11 of 66 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Did you not feel the word "occasionally" was of import? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure "occasionally" and "for the most part" are obviously the same.

LR

riverwalker11
The Shire

Nov 21 2012, 11:55pm

Post #12 of 66 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Comedic Tone and the Soundtrack/Score [In reply to] Can't Post

If you've heard the score, or even parts of it, I think it would quell anyones fears about the film being too comedic. We all know how much the music drives the emotional tone in LOTR, and from what I've heard of the music it will balance out the comedy with a greater emotional depth. This will be the brilliance of it!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 12:01am

Post #13 of 66 (1086 views)
Shortcut
I have it on good authority that "occasionally" and "for the most part" broke up a long time ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and won't even take each other's phone calls.

Wink

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 12:11am

Post #14 of 66 (1059 views)
Shortcut
No :P [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just.... everything i read... from we have a lot of comedic actors, PJ asking them to be funny, Martin saying he shot a lot of comedy the first year, the trailers... i dunno, i'm worried, dude! Wink

Olessan
Bree

Nov 22 2012, 12:12am

Post #15 of 66 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No matter what he does, PJ simply can't win.

When the film is released, we'll know what the tone is like.

I agree; regardless of what is done in the films, some fans are always going to whinge about it -- sometimes, the same person who complained about one thing, sees that what they wanted has happened, then complains against their original point! It's getting a little annoying, hah.

Antalasse
The Shire

Nov 22 2012, 12:20am

Post #16 of 66 (1090 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly the thing, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

The dissonance between the soundtrack and the trailers and TV spots we've seen.
Than again, the footage amounts to only about 8 minutes of the film, so there's no knowing how the rest of it will play out.

...in every wood in every spring there is a different green...(c)

riverwalker11
The Shire

Nov 22 2012, 12:24am

Post #17 of 66 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I also think that they are playing up the comedy side for advertising purposes, as a lot of film trailers do. On balance, I think think this whole trilogy will not be thought of as comedic in the end. I remember some recent comments from Philippa Boyens about the movies becoming more serious as they progress. Hope that's the case!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 12:27am

Post #18 of 66 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Complaining about what other people are posting [In reply to] Can't Post

is not conducive to having a respectful, grown-up conversation, yet I've been seeing more of it here on the boards as we get closer to the first film's release. I really hope ToRN doesn't turn into IMDB!

And no, this doesn't count as complaining.

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 22 2012, 12:31am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 12:31am

Post #19 of 66 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Hey, now. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's a cop-out, "regardless what he does, somebody will complain". You can say that for everything. And well, frankly, i don't care about "somebody", it's me. It's how i feel, should i not express myself because i might annoy somebody? No dice. Wink

p.s.
I do not complain often but sometimes i have to vent. I had this fear that this might turn too lighthearted since the beginning, knowing the book. I'm of course anxious to see it and i hope i'm wrong.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 22 2012, 12:40am)

Antalasse
The Shire

Nov 22 2012, 12:31am

Post #20 of 66 (1041 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

If the films gradually become more and more serious it will reflect Bilbo's character development and prepare us for the tragedy that waits at the end. The contrast between the beginning and the end of the story will become even more poignant.
I sure do hope it will happen this way!

...in every wood in every spring there is a different green...(c)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 12:37am

Post #21 of 66 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Right! Those concerned about the films are engaged in legitimate discourse about TH... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't say the same for those who complain about "the complainers", however. And again, this post doesn't count. Wink

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 22 2012, 1:53am

Post #22 of 66 (985 views)
Shortcut
i am so over [In reply to] Can't Post

the complaining/worrying about The Hobbit being a comedy. Seriously? It's going to be great, and the comedic aspects are going to be used in a way that compliments the story.
First, people complain that the tone is going to be too much like LOTR...now they complain that it is going to be to funny..give me a break!!!Unsure

(This post was edited by Lindele on Nov 22 2012, 1:57am)

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 22 2012, 1:56am

Post #23 of 66 (990 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like that 'moment' between Gandalf and Galadriel was sort of improvised [In reply to] Can't Post

The way Sir Ian describes it it's like Cate Blanchett just decided to do it and Peter thought it was a good idea so kept it!

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 22 2012, 2:28am

Post #24 of 66 (956 views)
Shortcut
I thought that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounded as if it was one of those things that felt right to do at the time and it clicked for both of them. No wonder he gets stressed working with green screen in a room by himself when there's no chance of this to happen.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 2:33am

Post #25 of 66 (944 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you watched the trailers? Have you read some of the comments? "Comedy" might be just a short way of saying too much goofing around.

Have you ever considered that there are different people complaining? I would never complain about it beeing too much like LOTR. Everyone having the same opinion would be boring, wouldn't it?

As much as you think it's going to be great, you don't know. I loved LOTR, it's not that i have no faith in PJ but the book is lighthearted, there's plenty of opportunity for him to insert gags, some of which we have already seen in trailers. We all know how silly PJ can be. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.