Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is this long bearded Thorin pic old news?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 3:53pm

Post #1 of 77 (1978 views)
Shortcut
Is this long bearded Thorin pic old news? Can't Post

Am I just really out of the loop?

I am?

Okay.

(Originally posted by thehobbitdiaries in Tumblr.)

The long beard looks fine, btw. But if Richard felt it hindered his performance, he must have know what he was doing.

(Resized photo attached - Ataahua.)

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 21 2012, 6:24pm)
Attachments: Thorin_beard.jpg (43.5 KB)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 3:54pm

Post #2 of 77 (985 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is this from Weta's upcoming art book?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 3:58pm

Post #3 of 77 (938 views)
Shortcut
Looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

What little you can see of the other page looks like in the Art of the Lord of the Rings series. (Which are awesome.)

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 4:01pm

Post #4 of 77 (876 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

i really really like that version of thorin, looks so much more regal!

i wish they had kept it, good find :)

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

imin
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 4:03pm

Post #5 of 77 (884 views)
Shortcut
Argh he looks so much better with a long beard [In reply to] Can't Post

Wish he had kept it. More regal and dwarf-like i think.

Ah well, hair rock/glam rock Thorin is ok to i guess - love his costume.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 4:04pm

Post #6 of 77 (868 views)
Shortcut
I really like him in the pic on the right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad they decided against it.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 21 2012, 4:04pm

Post #7 of 77 (851 views)
Shortcut
Appears so [In reply to] Can't Post

Really looking forward to this book..

grinman
Rivendell

Nov 21 2012, 4:10pm

Post #8 of 77 (834 views)
Shortcut
uhm... yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that pic of Thorin on the right. THAT'S the Thorin I want!! Well, I have an action figure of Thorin... maybe I can sculpt a longer beard and moustache to match the look of that pic. Love it!

I'm not terribly unsatisfied with the Thorin we'll be getting in the films.. i just wish he had a longer beard.

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 4:17pm

Post #9 of 77 (806 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least it seems they at first tried to match Tolkien's descriptions.

I'm guessing the long beard was removed because Richard Armitage wanted to use his own beard for acting purposes?

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2012, 4:31pm

Post #10 of 77 (849 views)
Shortcut
Wow ...great spot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin looks far more regal in these designs - I wonder if they were design ideas for the younger Thorin we've seen in V-log 8 (in what looks to be defending Erebor)?

!'ve got the Weta Chronicles on pre-order as well - looks like it's going to be amamzing!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 4:33pm

Post #11 of 77 (769 views)
Shortcut
Did you order it from the Book Depository? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just asking because I see they have two different (?) versions listed and I'm confused as to which I should pre-order Unsure

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2012, 4:37pm

Post #12 of 77 (741 views)
Shortcut
Yes I did... [In reply to] Can't Post

The hardback at £18.98 - what other one are they listing?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 4:41pm

Post #13 of 77 (790 views)
Shortcut
There's these two: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/...rkshop/9780062200907

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/...rkshop/9780007487332

sador
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 4:43pm

Post #14 of 77 (742 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

As is your new avatar, by the way.

"As all things come to an end, even this story..."

Here we read of Bilbo, who is “quiet and drowsy”, that “every now and again he would open one eye” and listen to Gandalf’s tale. Is Tolkien deliberately echoing this passage in LOTR when he writes, “At that Bilbo opened an eye, almost as if he had heard … ‘You see, I am getting so sleepy’, he said.”?
- N.E. Brigand

The weekly discussion of The Hobbit is back. Join us in the Reading Room for The Return Journey!

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 4:44pm

Post #15 of 77 (732 views)
Shortcut
I'm having an identity crisis because of it.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 4:56pm

Post #16 of 77 (736 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if we will see different looks for Thorin throughout the movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ is including backstory that shows Smaug SPOILERS destroying Dale and Erebor I wonder if Thorin will look this way. (More regal and royal.)

To me, that would be very effective. To see him in his prince like state looking magestic, to where we see him in Hobbiton... more worn down and wild.

Just a thought.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

ShireHorse
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 4:57pm

Post #17 of 77 (797 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, you guys, but [In reply to] Can't Post

before you get too excited, I believe that it's a manip. But I must admit that the person who did it has been very clever and, even though I like RA's current beard, I also like the one on the right.

This seems to be the favourite with others too - and it is the current beard with a plaited bit stuck onto it. Is that why we all like it because it's so reminiscent of what we've already got - quite neat and tidy and not long, flowing and bushy?

However, if RA had tried this in real life, I can imagine that, when he spoke, it would wiggle up and down in quite a silly way. And perhaps that's why he finished up with his own short beard.

thoon
Bree

Nov 21 2012, 5:07pm

Post #18 of 77 (703 views)
Shortcut
Good point, and I agree! Torn beard even? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if PJ is going for that, giving him a more haggard and worn look at the beginning of the story. Aragorn saw a similar transformation, after all.

His shorter beard also makes me wonder if we'll see some beard tearing. Witnessing the genocide of ones people and the ruination of ones home has to have been devastating. Perhaps Thorin tore his beard in anguish, as Tolkien dwarves have been known to do, after fleeing into exile. It might be a stretch, but perhaps he chooses to keep it short as a visual representation of his loss. A dwarf without a beard is akin to a dwarf without a home/throne.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 5:18pm

Post #19 of 77 (677 views)
Shortcut
This has been speculated before [In reply to] Can't Post

and is a good theory. To the point some have confused the "Dwarves cut their beard short when in mourning" fanon for canon.

But perhaps it is the route they've taken. It would explain why all the Dwarves of this particular family are short bearded - their close family members have died, and they've all cut their beards. Because Kili is so young, and movie!Dwarves grow beards slower when they're young (fanon, fanon!), he's still behind Thorin and Fili in the business of growing it back.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 5:20pm

Post #20 of 77 (661 views)
Shortcut
I tend to think that may be right. [In reply to] Can't Post

We will know soon enough.

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 5:23pm

Post #21 of 77 (684 views)
Shortcut
Alas, what could have been. [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are some excellent designs; I particularly like the one in the upper left. I hope the decision not to go with a long beard was ultimately Armitage's decision, out of concern that it would hinder his performance (which I ultimately agree is the most important, if performance and character design can't be woven together).

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2012, 5:25pm

Post #22 of 77 (658 views)
Shortcut
Well...that's bizarre! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one my order summary links me to is the one currently unavailable!! Unimpressed Hope it only means that it's sold out through pre-orders!

They look the same apart from the number of pages - 208 vs 272. Do you think the longer book has stuff from film 2 in it, then?

¯ Victoria Monfort

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 5:26pm

Post #23 of 77 (649 views)
Shortcut
Let's count [In reply to] Can't Post

Erebor!Thorin: If the recent thread is right in its deductions, this Thorin should be a teenager, or perhaps a very young adult. So not a very long beard yet? Fancy costume, though.

Azalnubizar!Thorin: Earning his epithet! Older, so could be sprouting a really handsome beard?

AUJ!Thorin: The one we know. (Has shorter beard for reason x?)

Dos!Thorin and BO5A!Thorin: Two more costume changes for Thorin in DoS and TABA, if I remember right what Ann Maskrey said. One in Lake-Town, and one after they've reclaimed Erebor. This should be the awesome armor he's going to wear in BO5A we've heard about.The beard remains the same.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 5:28pm

Post #24 of 77 (671 views)
Shortcut
Didn't he say that much in one of the interviews? [In reply to] Can't Post

They initially tried longer beard, but RA wanted rid of it because he felt it was in the way of his acting?

Macfeast
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 5:31pm

Post #25 of 77 (646 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah, he did. So much new stuff these days, that some things just float right past me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 21 2012, 5:32pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.