Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sean Bean on "The Hobbit"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Nov 21 2012, 12:40pm

Post #1 of 31 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Sean Bean on "The Hobbit" Can't Post

Sean Bean shares his views on his non-involvement in "The Hobbit":

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/video/v1933031067001/sean-bean-on-the-hobbit.html

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 2:05pm

Post #2 of 31 (979 views)
Shortcut
sean bean went [In reply to] Can't Post

from looking 30 ish to 50 ish in just a decade Unsure

i wonder if something happened to him...

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 2:11pm

Post #3 of 31 (897 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

He is 54. I think he looks pretty good for his age!

Findun
The Shire

Nov 21 2012, 2:12pm

Post #4 of 31 (824 views)
Shortcut
He [In reply to] Can't Post

has been killed too many times :-D

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 2:34pm

Post #5 of 31 (801 views)
Shortcut
Boromir would have been -37 years old, but Aragorn... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Tolkien himself and his works Boromir wasn't born at the time of The Hobbit. The BOFA took place in 2941 T.A. and Boromir was born in 2978 (37 years later). But Aragorn (who was born in 2931) was almost 10 years old when Bilbo and the dwarves came to Rivendell.

I really hope to see a 10 year old boy running around in Rivendell during AUJ and Elrond calling him "Estel". Just this small reference... would be cool! Fans of the books would notice it and identify him as Aragorn and for the common audience he would be just a boy running around in Rivendell.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 21 2012, 2:35pm)

Elthir
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 2:37pm

Post #6 of 31 (752 views)
Shortcut
I would have liked... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Sean Bean playing all the Dwarves in the Hobbit films.

With different length and colour of beards of course. For distinction.

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 2:47pm

Post #7 of 31 (779 views)
Shortcut
No kidding [In reply to] Can't Post

The guy looks a lot better in his 50s than I do now!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 2:51pm

Post #8 of 31 (703 views)
Shortcut
And all Dwarf ladies [In reply to] Can't Post

Google "Sean Bean woman"

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

xxxyyy
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 3:02pm

Post #9 of 31 (746 views)
Shortcut
Fan of the movies will not be so happy... and that's an euphemism. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn would be around 26, according to PJ timeline. So seeing him as a 10 year old child would make no sense, unless we discover a nice subplot of Aragorn suffering from some strange disease...
Again, I've said it countless times: make the gap between LOTR and AUJ 80 years, because I too would like to see a young Aragorn in Rivendell...

http://energyfromthorium.com/

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 3:06pm

Post #10 of 31 (677 views)
Shortcut
How about a compromise? [In reply to] Can't Post

When Bilbo first visits Rivendell in the first movie, they could show a 10 year old kid that Elrond calls "Estel". Passing through Rivendell on the way back again in the third movie, there could be a 26-year-old man that Elrond also calls "Estel" and then Galadriel could comment that, "they grow up so fast."

Sly

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 4:30pm

Post #11 of 31 (586 views)
Shortcut
He is still [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir and swoony. But Boromirs older bro. Heart

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 5:11pm

Post #12 of 31 (534 views)
Shortcut
Just around the eyes, but time stands still for nobody [In reply to] Can't Post

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/...e/Boromir_-_FOTR.png
As Boromir

http://thedarkglobe.files.wordpress.com/...621833-1280-7201.jpg
Ned Stark

I think he may have put on some weight during Game of Thrones but in the interview he looks trimmer.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 21 2012, 5:18pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 5:15pm

Post #13 of 31 (519 views)
Shortcut
Sean Bean is PERFECT as Ned Stark and Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that's irrelevant to this thread, but just thought I'd say it. Smile

I'm still waiting for him to star in a film adaptation of The Odyssey. *sigh*

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 9:17pm

Post #14 of 31 (373 views)
Shortcut
I agree. He was a great Boromir. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Elenorflower
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 11:31pm

Post #15 of 31 (328 views)
Shortcut
spooky [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just thinking that. he could have a little nip n tuck round the eyes and he would look almost exactly the same. He is still gorgeous tho. Cool

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 22 2012, 1:01am

Post #16 of 31 (301 views)
Shortcut
Almost? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
According to Tolkien himself and his works Boromir wasn't born at the time of The Hobbit. The BOFA took place in 2941 T.A. and Boromir was born in 2978 (37 years later). But Aragorn (who was born in 2931) was almost 10 years old when Bilbo and the dwarves came to Rivendell.

Aragorn's birthday was on March 1. He was most definitely 10 years old when the company arrived in Rivendell. The complication lies in the continuity of the films, where it seems that Aragorn could have been much older than that (between ages 25 to 27 by most reckonings). This is a long-debated subject.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

marcuspaine
Bree

Nov 22 2012, 2:00am

Post #17 of 31 (276 views)
Shortcut
A great Boromir indeed! I was glad they were at least able to bring him back for Faramir's flashback scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Aerin
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2012, 5:36am

Post #18 of 31 (250 views)
Shortcut
Better than perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still a little disappointed he didn't play Aragorn, the part he auditioned for! Too bad they killed him off in Game of Thrones! I might just have to watch my Sharpe DVDs again soon!

Hobbit Family Histories

Misto
Lorien

Nov 22 2012, 12:14pm

Post #19 of 31 (198 views)
Shortcut
Hang on... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'm just trying to do the math without the appendices at hand.
So it basically comes down to that one comment in the movies, when Aragorn tells Eowyn that he's 80something, right? That would make him 20something at the time of "The Hobbit". But then again, I remember Denethor died at 80something and he was just one year Aragorn's senior. So that would work with the 20something Aragorn. Yet everybody says Aragorn should be ten. What is it I'm missing?

(This post was edited by Misto on Nov 22 2012, 12:14pm)

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2012, 1:45pm

Post #20 of 31 (180 views)
Shortcut
17 years... ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, Frodo does not leave The Shire until 17 years after Bilbo's 111th birthday party. PJ cut that time period from the movies.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

SauonWasHere
The Shire

Nov 22 2012, 2:16pm

Post #21 of 31 (171 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

he looks great for 54. i am not gay but he is a handsome man! chicks dig him!

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 22 2012, 3:10pm

Post #22 of 31 (162 views)
Shortcut
It is as Eleniel says... [In reply to] Can't Post

Evidence for:

- Jackson makes Sam, Merry and Pippin into Frodo's contemporaries. In the book, they would have all still been children at the time of Bilbo's birthday party.

- Jackson dropping all of the elaborate arrangements about Frodo leaving the Shire, including the conspiracy and his purchasing of the house in Crickhollow.

- Nothing in Jackson's FotR to indicate any great passage of time to the audience.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2012, 5:26pm

Post #23 of 31 (136 views)
Shortcut
He does [In reply to] Can't Post

but to me he looked like a 30 ish man 12 years ago..then recently i saw him in GOT and wa shocked. Just in termsof the look, i had always assumed he was younger.

Yes, at 54 he looks fantastic...actors, eh? Never quite age as the rest of us...more like elves they are..Wink

PS : Relax, i dont think anyone here cares about other peoples sexuality Tongue

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Nov 22 2012, 5:27pm)

blair85
The Shire

Nov 23 2012, 3:54am

Post #24 of 31 (117 views)
Shortcut
On the passage of time [In reply to] Can't Post

On my most recent viewing of FotR I was thinking about this, and realized that just because PJ didn't explicitly point out that 17 years had passed (which for all accounts and purposes would have lessened the weight of danger the ring had in the movie, especially new audiences who would just think, "well if its been sitting around for 17 years why not just leave it where it is") he doesn't say it didn't happen either. My solution, for those of us who know the chronology, the 17 year gap did happen and the movie only shows brief highlights of that period.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Nov 23 2012, 4:03am

Post #25 of 31 (107 views)
Shortcut
Well, besides the obvious contradiction, in which... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we still have Samwise, Merry and Pippin being too close in age to Frodo. Their appearances should be reflected in the passage of 17 years, even if Frodo's is not (due to the effects of the Ring).

There is also Walsh, Boyens and Jackson in their commentary track on the extended edition of FotR, discussing this specific compression of time.

Yes, you can choose to ignore the paradox represented by Frodo's hobbit companions, but it is still there.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.