Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A Q&A with Royd Tolkien

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 21 2012, 4:35am

Post #1 of 13 (324 views)
Shortcut
A Q&A with Royd Tolkien Can't Post

[caption id="attachment_65573" align="alignright" width="300"]Royd Tolkien in Return of the King Royd Tolkien in Return of the King[/caption] J.R.R. Tolkien's great-grandson Royd Tolkien has developed a long-standing relationship with the team behind Middle Earth's big-screen adaptations, and even appeared as a Gondorian ranger in the third film The Return of the King.

Digital Spy sat down with Royd to get the Tolkien family perspective on Jackson's adaptations, and discuss the time he spent in New Zealand bonding with the Lord of the Rings cast and crew.

When did you first get wind of Lord of the Rings being adapted as a live-action film? It was a very long development process...

"It was years before they filmed. I'd known Peter Jackson because I'd been a fan of his from Bad Taste and Braindead, from when I was younger. But I really had no involvement in the films at that stage - my first connection with them was at the first premiere in London, for The Fellowship [of the Ring]. That's where I met Peter and other people from New Line."

[Read more]

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 9:55am

Post #2 of 13 (182 views)
Shortcut
What a great interview [In reply to] Can't Post

And what a genuine person. And if people only take one message from the interview, it should be this:

I always try and keep myself completely separated from the books and the film. I'm watching the films for what they are, and what Peter Jackson and Weta and all the cast and crew have done with them.

I wonder if he has a small cameo in the new trilogy?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Defender of Nogrod

Nov 21 2012, 10:03am

Post #3 of 13 (177 views)
Shortcut
Royd cameo? Probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see Dale...

Yavanna: "Eru is bountiful, now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril."

Aule: "Nonetheless they will have need of wood."

BOOM

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 12:53pm

Post #4 of 13 (153 views)
Shortcut
seeing as he was in the Air NZ video [In reply to] Can't Post

along with his cousin (of some numerical value)... I'd say to watch out for both of them.

for that matter, I'd watch out for Quickbeam and MrCere, too.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elthir
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 1:02pm

Post #5 of 13 (161 views)
Shortcut
this message [In reply to] Can't Post

For myself I'll leave this message at the door. Completely separate? Shouldn't that mean that one doesn't care in any measure if the films are faithful to the books? That's quite an open door I think, but if people truly don't care about faithfulness (which doesn't necessarily mean that they don't care about the books) that's fine with me, and surely there will be many. But among those who love the book I think it's quite natural to want a faithful rendition.

I do. And I don't think it's wrongheaded to compare the films to the books. Not that you or Royd said that it was Smile

(This post was edited by Elthir on Nov 21 2012, 1:07pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 1:10pm

Post #6 of 13 (150 views)
Shortcut
Of course, it's not wrong at all to want a truly faithful adaptation [In reply to] Can't Post

I would include myself in that bracket. But at the end of the day, we have to remember they are two very different mediums of telling the same (or similar) story.

The films were, and never will be, absolutely faithful to the books. As Royd says, you watch the films for what they are ... adaptations. That's all.

The films (for me), are secondary to the books. I enjoy the films, and have my minor niggles with them. But they're no replacement for the books. And I hope one day, a more faithful adaptation is made.

Elthir
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 1:15pm

Post #7 of 13 (170 views)
Shortcut
Well, in my opinion that's not what Royd said... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... although that may be what he means Smile

We all know that the mediums are different, and if Royd means that one should fairly consider that films and books are different when looking for faithfulness, then I agree.

But as this is a very subjective thing...

Elthir
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 2:06pm

Post #8 of 13 (156 views)
Shortcut
'separatizing' [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to add: there will be plenty of people who will be completely separating the films and books -- those who haven't read the books being the obvious people, since they can't compare the films to the books of course. Or, I'm an example when it comes to a film like Lawrence of Arabia. I don't care one bit if this film is faithful to the book or to the man's life. If it's a good film then it's a good film.

Granted it sounds like an arguably pedantic distinction, but if one is not 'completely' separating oneself from the source material (which is an approach one might take, even by someone who loves the books) then to my mind one is essentially engaging in the same thing as many others in any case: a comparison to the source material with faithfulness in mind.

Given Royd's last name, by 'completely' I would guess that he doesn't mean the distinction that I am trying to make with Lawrence of Arabia, but again it's one approach to the films, even for fans of the book.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Nov 21 2012, 2:08pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 3:07pm

Post #9 of 13 (115 views)
Shortcut
I think we agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Given Royd's last name, by 'completely' I would guess that he doesn't mean the distinction that I am trying to make with Lawrence of Arabia, but again it's one approach to the films, even for fans of the book.

We get to the same conclusion, but via a different route.

Elthir
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 4:18pm

Post #10 of 13 (138 views)
Shortcut
Yes we seem to agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I probably should not have said 'that's not what Royd said' even in my opinion, but rather that what he said could be taken to mean 'completely' in the sense I gave it above.

Or something. But in any case I'm still getting used to not being able to edit after a given time. Drat Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2012, 4:05am

Post #11 of 13 (107 views)
Shortcut
He really "gets" what has gone into thee films... [In reply to] Can't Post

That they aren't just a product of Peter Jackson's efforts... but that everyone who is involved with making them (cast/crew/artisans) all have the same passion for making these the best films possible. I really do hope he made another cameo. He's been a part of TORn's celebrations through the years as well. It's so exciting to have him still knee-deep in the Hobbity good times, too!

What a guy!!!! :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

imin
Valinor

Nov 24 2012, 11:47am

Post #12 of 13 (108 views)
Shortcut
Royd [In reply to] Can't Post

That is an unfortunate name, lol, sorry just had to say it.

Still he seems like he has a good relationship with PJ who was im sure only too happy to have a Tolkien on board and enthusiastic - lends a level of support to the film and makes it more legitimate i think in the eyes of some.

Its also amazing to me that a great grandson is still so connected to the works. I wonder how long that will go on, will Royd's great grandchildren still be connected to Tolkien's works in this way, perhaps if someone else adapts the books into film? Could go on forever, lol.

I wish i was a Tolkien :(

elevorn
Lorien

Nov 26 2012, 5:36pm

Post #13 of 13 (178 views)
Shortcut
Great guy, and a great article thanks/// [In reply to] Can't Post

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.