Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Battle of Azanulbizar

xMb
The Shire

Nov 21 2012, 3:25am

Post #1 of 8 (1085 views)
Shortcut
The Battle of Azanulbizar Can't Post

Forgive my ignorance, but I always question the geography of this fight -- does it take place on the western side of the Misty Mountains at the gate we see the Fellowship enter on their way into Moria or is it on the eastern side where they flee after the death of Gandalf? Or is it an entirely different location?

Finrod
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 3:37am

Post #2 of 8 (519 views)
Shortcut
East of Eden [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Forgive my ignorance, but I always question the geography of this fight -- does it take place on the western side of the Misty Mountains at the gate we see the Fellowship enter on their way into Moria or is it on the eastern side where they flee after the death of Gandalf? Or is it an entirely different location?

No matter whether you call it Azanulbizar, Nanduhirion, or the Dimrill Dale, it lies east of Khazad-dm. There it was that Durin the Deathless first stooped and gazed into Kheled-zram, and saw a crown of stars appear.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

grinman
Rivendell

Nov 21 2012, 3:39am

Post #3 of 8 (494 views)
Shortcut
Eastern side. [In reply to] Can't Post

The battle takes place on the Eastern Side of Moria, the same gates that The Fellowship exits during FOTR. In the appendices to LOTR, it mentions the lake, Kheled -Zaram which is the same lake that Gimli shows Frodo in the book.

Man, I hope that they do Azanulbizar justice (if they do it at all). It's one of my favorite parts of all of the appendices!!

edit: drat! beat me to it..

(This post was edited by grinman on Nov 21 2012, 3:39am)

xMb
The Shire

Nov 21 2012, 3:43am

Post #4 of 8 (458 views)
Shortcut
Ah thats right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot about Gimli showing Frodo.. time for another trilogy re-reading I suppose! ;) thanks guys!

As for this film, I'm also really hoping they do justice to this piece of history. It is certainly one of my favorites.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 3:53am

Post #5 of 8 (470 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, as others here have said already, its the east gate [In reply to] Can't Post

the same which the Fellowship flees from, and which Gandalf had entered at his last investigation of Moria when he had searched there for Thrain. It is also the gate through which Dain beheld The Balrog, and knew that it was beyond the power of The Dwarves to retake Khazad-Dum.

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 4:20am

Post #6 of 8 (493 views)
Shortcut
The preview for the TH issue of Rolling Stone mentions illustrating Thorin's "rich backstory"... [In reply to] Can't Post

So there's further confirmation Azanulbizar is in! Smile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DarkJackal
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 6:17am

Post #7 of 8 (394 views)
Shortcut
So where are the scans of that issue? [In reply to] Can't Post

I read that some people bought it in shops over a week ago. It's been listed on eBay for a bit too. Wink

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 5:01pm

Post #8 of 8 (246 views)
Shortcut
I have it, but I'm holding out. [In reply to] Can't Post

I though news of the Tauriel/Smaug romance and the Winnie the Pooh cross-over with the Dwarves fighting Heffalumps and Woozles would have caused too much of a poop storm. Cool

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 21 2012, 5:02pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.