Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A Flashback to Bilbo's Childhood? (Possible Spoilers)

Lalaith7
The Shire

Nov 20 2012, 11:54pm

Post #1 of 12 (811 views)
Shortcut
A Flashback to Bilbo's Childhood? (Possible Spoilers) Can't Post

Hi everyone! I'm a longtime reader, but this is my first post. In Brian Sibley's movie guide, there is a picture of Gandalf with hobbit children dancing around him, and a cartload of fireworks in the background at what is clearly a party in the Shire (it was one of the 66 behind-the-scenes images that had to be taken down for copyright reasons). At first I didn't think much of it, other than that it was a good picture. Then I started wondering, because there is no scene like it in The Hobbit, and I can't imagine a place where one might be. However, it has been mentioned that Gandalf takes a particular interest in Bilbo because he remembers him being an adventurous child. Could it be that we will see a flashback to one of the Old Took's parties, in which Bilbo catches Gandalf's attention by doing something "adventurous"?
My apologies if this has been discussed before and I have missed it Smile

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Nov 21 2012, 12:07am

Post #2 of 12 (362 views)
Shortcut
I sure hope so :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that idea! Bilbo remembers Gandalf setting off fireworks for the Old Took's birthday (if I'm not mistaken), years ago when he was just a hobbit-child.

I was mistaken. "Old Took used to have them (fireworks) on Midsummer's Eve".

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.
"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

(This post was edited by Aragalen on Nov 21 2012, 12:11am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 12:38am

Post #3 of 12 (362 views)
Shortcut
I think this is almost gaurunteed. We discussed it before long ago [In reply to] Can't Post

when I and several others surmised that a picture of Gandalf very akin to the one in the Sibley guide, was shown months back in the production vids. In one of them there was also an elder statesman of a hobbit who clearly was not Bilbo, but who perfectly fit the general expectations of what The Old Took might look like.
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/shire1.jpg

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

tolktolk
Lorien

Nov 21 2012, 1:01am

Post #4 of 12 (329 views)
Shortcut
In the same vlog ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I seem to remember seeing Andy Serkis with his two sons dressed as hobbits, and thinking the younger one looked a lot like a baby Bilbo. I will have to look at the vlog again, but does anyone else remember this?

I was reminded of this reading Jed Brophy say in the Sunday Times piece that as well as playing numerous roles himself in Lord of the Rings, his two sons were also extras in the films.

Lalaith7
The Shire

Nov 21 2012, 1:24am

Post #5 of 12 (287 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems we will have no shortage of flashbacks! But I am glad for this one, as it seems important in the movie to know why Gandalf was so determined to have Bilbo, and not some other hobbit, go on the quest.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 2:37am

Post #6 of 12 (241 views)
Shortcut
No Problem [In reply to] Can't Post

And I completely agree.

In Reply To
It seems we will have no shortage of flashbacks! But I am glad for this one, as it seems important in the movie to know why Gandalf was so determined to have Bilbo, and not some other hobbit, go on the quest.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lausus
Bree

Nov 21 2012, 2:48am

Post #7 of 12 (255 views)
Shortcut
The Long-expected Party [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been assuming party scenes with Gandalf are from Bilbo's 111th (and Frodo's 33rd) Birthday Party. Ian Holm's Bilbo is going to be telling Frodo the story of the Hobbit "from" the setting established in FotR. They probably shot a few party scenes to make it all fit. Other evidence toward this (if I remember correctly) is that the "party business" sign is tacked on Bilbo's gate and Frodo is going to be seen leaving Bag End to go sit and wait for Gandalf (which we saw in the beginning of FotR).

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Nov 21 2012, 2:57am

Post #8 of 12 (243 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so. [In reply to] Can't Post

The staff is the same as The Hobbit staff, not the Fellowship one. Also, the scarf as worn, which we never saw on him in Fellowship. There will probably be a "Fellowship" shot of Bag End at the start, when Frodo is talking to Bilbo, but increasingly it seems likely that those Party scenes are Gerontius Took parties, rather than any given by his grandson Bilbo.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2012, 3:00am

Post #9 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
Hob Gammidge has been cast, but I'm not sure if that means anything [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even sure who he is, but I've heard people say he's someone who was not alive at the time of Bilbo's 111th birthday, so flashback sounds likely.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 21 2012, 3:02am)

Finrod
Rohan

Nov 21 2012, 3:30am

Post #10 of 12 (227 views)
Shortcut
Who’s *The* Old Took? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
when I and several others surmised that a picture of Gandalf very akin to the one in the Sibley guide, was shown months back in the production vids. In one of them there was also an elder statesman of a hobbit who clearly was not Bilbo, but who perfectly fit the general expectations of what The Old Took might look like.
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/shire1.jpg

Who is this The Old Took chap?

There is almost never any reason to capitalize the article that precedes a proper noun. Certainly Tolkien himself never did so.
  • As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit – of Bilbo Baggins, that is – was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill.
  • He had not been down that way under The Hill for ages and ages, not since his friend the Old Took died, in fact, and the hobbits had almost forgotten what he looked like.
  • Bilbo was going to be eleventy-one, 111, a rather curious number and a very respectable age for a hobbit (the Old Took himself had only reached 130); and Frodo was going to be thirty-three, 33) an important number: the date of his ‘coming of age’.
  • She was our Mr. Bilbo’s first cousin on the mother’s side (her mother being the youngest of the Old Took’s daughters); and Mr. Drogo was his second cousin.
  • A day or two later a rumour (probably started by the knowledgeable Sam) was spread about that there were going to be fireworks – fireworks, what is more, such as had not been seen in the Shire for nigh on a century, not indeed since the Old Took died.
  • He lived alone, as Bilbo had done; but he had a good many friends, especially among the younger hobbits (mostly descendants of the Old Took) who had as children been fond of Bilbo and often in and out of Bag End.
  • They say the Old Took lived in it year after year, while he and the room got older and shabbier together-and it has never changed since he died, a century ago.
  • And in one year more, if I am spared, I shall equal the Old Took.
  • ‘But if you want to beat the Old Took,’ said Pippin, ‘I don’t see why we shouldn’t try and beat the Bullroarer.’
  • ‘And he will pass the Old Took. [...]
  • ‘Well, I have passed the Old Took today! [...]
Writing it The Old Took, instead of the way Tolkien did it, makes it sound like the title of a book. It’s weird.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 8:02am

Post #11 of 12 (160 views)
Shortcut
He's Sam's Great-Grandfather [In reply to] Can't Post

So if he's on screen, I'm sure they could link that somehow.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2012, 8:03am

Post #12 of 12 (196 views)
Shortcut
There's also the Smaug firework in his cart too. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.