Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 19 2012, 6:08pm

Post #1 of 35 (325 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

deej asked me to sub this week (and the next two weeks). Tell us about them here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 19 2012, 6:46pm

Post #2 of 35 (208 views)
Shortcut
We watched "J.Edgar" [In reply to] Can't Post

We were going to see "Lincoln" but the theater was so full there was no place to park, so we went and rented a movie instead. We still plan to see "Lincoln" sometime soon.

"J. Edgar" is, of course, about J. Edgar Hoover. He was a bugaboo of my early years (he died when I was 16, but I do remember him being in the news. Seems like he kind of met his match in Nixon). So it was interesting getting a bit more of the human background. I knew about the closeted stuff, but not really anything else. My take is that being closeted can really twist people. Who knows how he'd have turned out otherwise. Anyway, Leo DiCaprio was amazing.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2012, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 35 (173 views)
Shortcut
Coraline [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought this was good, but I can see how it might scare young children.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 7:48pm

Post #4 of 35 (176 views)
Shortcut
revisiting Firefly/Serenity [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the final episodes of Firefly and then Serenity in my umpteenth rewatch of the set.

I always enjoy revisiting that 'verse.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 7:55pm

Post #5 of 35 (178 views)
Shortcut
I watched The Lovely Bones for the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

And boy, was it terrifying. It was to close to comfort for me - there's too many child murders in the UK - it's something I could imagine happening in real life.

So yes, a great film, but awfully scary.

And like most films, it's not a book I've read. So it's now on my list.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 19 2012, 8:07pm

Post #6 of 35 (183 views)
Shortcut
We had one near here recently [In reply to] Can't Post

that was horrifyingly like the one in the movie. The body was found dismembered in a cornfield, if I recall correctly. The murderer was caught because his mother turned him in; he was only 17 (and his victim was 10).

But I did really like the movie, and the book. The author was the victim of a rape and attempted murder, which I think drove her to write the book.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 8:31pm

Post #7 of 35 (167 views)
Shortcut
We really like it too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a good film adaptation, and brilliantly made. I love Gaiman's book too.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 8:35pm

Post #8 of 35 (163 views)
Shortcut
It's scary, isn't it. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it must be one of very few films where I've wanted to scream at the screen, and shout: he's right there! Horrifying. PJ did a brilliant job for me to feel that way.

From what I understand, the lead up to the end is quite different from the book?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 19 2012, 8:47pm

Post #9 of 35 (166 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The author was the victim of a rape and attempted murder, which I think drove her to write the book.

My only problem with the book was that the narrative petered out toward the end. Other than that, I thought the plotting was painfully realistic and not over-dramatised.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 19 2012, 8:57pm

Post #10 of 35 (154 views)
Shortcut
It's been quite a while since I read it, so I don't remember // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2012, 10:15pm

Post #11 of 35 (155 views)
Shortcut
Wreck-it Ralph [In reply to] Can't Post

With Geeky Son, who is a must to have around for anything computer-game-related.

What a well-done hoot this movie is! "Toy Story" in a video arcade. Lots of moments of groans and laugh-out-louds. Surge protectors! Mentos and carbonated beverages! And be sure to watch the credits to the end. Little kids will see just a cartoon, this is really a fun movie for us "older" kids. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

imin
Valinor

Nov 19 2012, 10:31pm

Post #12 of 35 (154 views)
Shortcut
hmm i wasnt impressed with it [In reply to] Can't Post

For me its even worse than king kong.

but i did read the book prior to seeing the film and i dont think mark wahlberg is the best actor for the dad.

Saoirse Ronan was great though i did feel they spent too much time with the heaven parts.

For me it didnt capture the horror of the written book or really get my emotions firing so much but then that could be because i knew exactly what would be happening by reading the book beforehand.

Its good you liked it though SmileSmile

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Nov 20 2012, 2:27am

Post #13 of 35 (202 views)
Shortcut
Lincoln and Skyfall [In reply to] Can't Post

My latest movie viewing offered a wealth of Daniels, namely Daniel Day-Lewis and Daniel Craig.

Lincoln

The movie centers on the final months of Lincoln's presidency and his drive to pass the 13th amendment abolishing slavery and to end the American Civil War. Lincoln is an engaging political thrilled as the 16th President of the United States, the Radical Republicans and the Democrats of the House of Representative clash over the 13th.

Lincoln is also a character study, and DDL's portrayal of Lincoln is nothing short of extraordinary, but not surprising, considering his skill as a thespian. His carriage and diction, esp. his diction, were so convincing.

But it was the supporting cast who really made the movie: Tommy Lee Jones as Thaddeus Stevens (Republican chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee) stole the show. David Strathairn as William Seward (Secretary of State) was suave and sly, his refinement a contrast to the more folksy (but obviously brilliant and cunning) Lincoln.

Although Sally Field's acting style occasionally grates on me (and it did at times here), she was a fantastic Mary Todd Lincoln. She gave a refreshingly sympathetic take on MTL: complex, vulnerable, wicked smart, and with just the right amount of neurosis for a woman who has endured so much. Gloria Reuben offered a sensitive portrayal of Elizabeth Keckley, MTL's trusted maid and confidante.

It was nice to see Hal Holbrook, the grand old statesman of historical portrayals (including Lincoln), cast as Preston Blair of the conservative wing of the Republicans (a very different political party then compared to the present).

And Lee Pace! Yes, King Thranduil goes to Washington. Pace was Fernando Wood, representative of NY and one of the Copperhead Democrats who opposed the 13th amendment. Pace is the fiery foil to TLJ's Stevens of the Radical Republicans. Oh, man, was their mud-slinging in the House ever eloquent!

My supporting cast favorites were James Spader as W.N. Bilbo (yes, a historical personage), John Hawkes (Deadwood, Winter's Bone) as Robert Latham, and Tim Blake Nelson (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) as Richard Schell. These three rapscallions were the 19th century equivalent to our political lobbyists. Their assistance was solicited to "influence" those Democrats who were on the fence by offering patronage jobs in exchange for an "aye" on the 13th.

There's one bloody battle scene at the beginning of the movie and a gruesome aftermath of another, but otherwise, this is not an action movie. Lincoln has its flaws. The pacing could have been improved a bit as it occasionally drags, but then again, I never looked at my watch during the 150 minute running time.

Skyfall

Speaking of action movies, Skyfall is one of the best Bond movies I have seen since the Sean Connery days. In fact, I would say it is The Best since then.

You're thrown right into it with an incredibly intense chase scene that opens the movie. Of course, one travels the globe, too: Turkey (a nod to From Russia With Love perhaps?), Shanghai, Macau, and Scotland.

Another very cool thing about Skyfall is that it has a distinctly British feel to it, if that makes any sense coming from an American like me who has visited the UK only once (so far). The magnificent Dame Judi Dench (stroke of brilliance in the Daniel Craig Bond films to cast her as M) contributes in part to this vibe as does Ralph Fiennes as Mallory, the head of foreign intelligence. I loved Ben Whishaw as the young whippersnapper, Q.

Javier Bardem made an excellent villain, and clearly relished his role. His Silvia is frighteningly smart, brilliantly mad; he reeks of danger. He definitely is not cut from the same cartoonish cloth as the villains from the Roger Moore franchise.

Yes, there are Bond Girls! Of course. There's the capable, cool Naomie Harris as 007's colleague, an agent in Her Majesty's Secret Service and the lovely Bérénice Marlohe as Sévérine.

And Daniel Craig? Enough said. Best Bond since Connery. No question in my mind.

In addition to plenty of action, the sly humor and the asides one expects from a good Bond flick were on hand, but there was a bit of sentimentality and even melancholy, too, e.g., the theme of growing older throughout (but never overdone) and that perhaps M's agents (including 007) and M herself had outlived their utility. There were wonderful nods to the original Bond films (no spoilers here), which were very fitting for the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film franchise.

Well, this is a ludicrously long post, but hey, I really, really, really liked these two movies!

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by Tweezers of Thu on Nov 20 2012, 2:31am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 4:59am

Post #14 of 35 (136 views)
Shortcut
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World [In reply to] Can't Post

We just finished watching this. It's a romantic comedy set in the last three weeks before an asteroid crashes into the earth, ending all life. I've never seen anything quite like it. The two leads, Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley, were good in their roles.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 5:01am

Post #15 of 35 (137 views)
Shortcut
It's called Lucky [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a difficult read, but I'm really glad I read it. There were parts of The Lovely Bones book that I didn't care particularly for, not so much because of the hard subject matter, but more because it didn't make a lot of sense to me.
When I read Lucky, I understood The Lovely Bones better.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 5:03am

Post #16 of 35 (146 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is a part missed out [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a part of the book I really disliked, and it would have been extremely difficult to translate successfully onto the screen. I think it was a good decision to leave it out.
I definitely recommend her memoir 'Lucky' if you feel brave enough.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 20 2012, 7:52am

Post #17 of 35 (129 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

i dont think mark wahlberg is the best actor for the dad.

The relationship between him and everyone else just didn't "feel" real. But apart from him, I think everyone did a great job.

I've read the synopsis/plot of the book online, and like all books, it sounds much better than the film.

Regardless, for a film that I would never have gone and seen in the cinema, I thought it was great.

Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 20 2012, 7:53am

Post #18 of 35 (128 views)
Shortcut
I will have a look Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely recommend her memoir 'Lucky' if you feel brave enough.

Am I brave enough? Probably not. Crazy

imin
Valinor

Nov 20 2012, 10:31am

Post #19 of 35 (142 views)
Shortcut
Secret State on Channel 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the first two episodes so far but i am really enjoying it so far and it seems like its only going to get better and better. Good acting, well scripted, good pace and ultimately very interesting - and something i could see happening behind the closed doors of power.

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Nov 20 2012, 12:56pm

Post #20 of 35 (133 views)
Shortcut
I have one of those, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, a Geeky Son.* Wink

He convinced me to go with him to see Wreck-It Ralph a couple of weeks ago, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The references to vintage games were a hoot as well as to other pop cultural icons, not only Mentos and soda but even Alien!

*His college major is digital game design, which includes programming for animation, so he hones right in on movies like this.

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 20 2012, 6:54pm

Post #21 of 35 (118 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't be more true!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

And Daniel Craig? Enough said. Best Bond since Connery. No question in my mind.

My family went to see this a week ago and loved it. My husband, who's not prone to exaggeration, told his sister she needed to see Skyfall because it was possibly the best Bond film ever made.

You'll see that in every contract. It's called a "sanity clause".
Ha-ha. You can't fool me. There ain't no Sanity Claus.

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 20 2012, 6:55pm

Post #22 of 35 (119 views)
Shortcut
The Amazing Spiderman and Ken Burns' The Dustbowl [In reply to] Can't Post

Both were pretty good. The kids loved the new take on Spiderman and the Lizard was a decent villian in it. The Dustbowl was more interesting than I thought it would be.

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 20 2012, 7:28pm

Post #23 of 35 (103 views)
Shortcut
"Hoot" [In reply to] Can't Post

A film based on the book of the same name by Carl Hiaasen, which won a Newbery Honor award. A group of kids band together to save a colony of burrowing owls from being destroyed by a real estate development. My daughter's class read the book together, so we decided to rent it. It was pretty good, we enjoyed it. Not so great that I'd have wanted to pay theater prices to see it in the theater, but I would recommend it as a good family viewing rental. It stars a pre-'Percy Jackson & the Olympians' Logan Lerman.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20 2012, 9:44pm

Post #24 of 35 (115 views)
Shortcut
PBS had some show on the Dust Bowl a few months back [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I liked better. It might have been this one: http://www.pbs.org/...ence/films/dustbowl/

But I'm glad I watched Burns' documentary.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

wendy woo
Rivendell

Nov 21 2012, 3:18am

Post #25 of 35 (90 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Magpie. I'll have to check this out. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dustbowl was okay, but I do find that any series Burns makes with Dayton Duncan as the writer will be disappointing, in my opinion. He always starts out well, but by the later episodes, the series seems to fall apart and loses its focus and momentum. Geoffrey C. Ward is a better collaborator, in my opinion. He's responsible for some of Burns' better productions: The Civil War, Jazz, Baseball, and Not For Ourselves Alone. Ward can keep my attention to the very end every time. He also has a better turn of phrase than Duncan could ever hope to have.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.