The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day/Evening...Aragorn at the Argonath

weaver
Half-elven

Nov 9 2007, 11:15pm

Post #1 of 7 (867 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day/Evening...Aragorn at the Argonath Can't Post

Sorry to be posting so late in my day at least.

Here is your final Screencap of the Day for this week:

"Aragorn at the Argonath"

(Ok, say that three times fast...)

In the book, this is one of those times where Aragorn's kingship is revealed to someone else, in this case Frodo and Sam. Here's the relevant passage:

...Frodo turned and saw Strider, and yet not Strider; for the weatherworn Ranger was no longer there. In the stern sat Aragorn son of Arathorn, proud and erect, guiding the boat with skilful strokes; his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light was in his eyes: a king returning from exile to his own land.
'Fear not!' he said. 'Long have I desired to look upon the likenesses of Isildur and Anarion, my sires of old. Under their shadow Elessar, the Elfstone son of Arathorn of the House of Valandil Isildur's son heir of Elendil, has nought to dread!'

In the film, we don't see Strider transform into a King through Frodo's eyes like this. Rather, it's more of a private acknowledgement of that fact by Aragorn to himself. The whole litany of names that Aragorn relates is reduced to the simple "my kin", and the Fellowship responds not with fear, but with awe to the statues (the way I see it, anyway).

Questions:

1. Comments on the changes made to this scene in the film?

2. How do you interpret that look on Aragorn's face in the screencap? Do you believe it when "this" Aragorn says, " Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old -- my kin"...?

3. Which do you prefer -- the public reveal of the King to Frodo, or the private reveal of the King to himself? Does one approach work better than the other, or are they each effective in their own context?

4. Are you surprised I managed to pick just one screencap?

5. Any other thoughts or insights?

Again, last screencap for this week -- thanks to all who lurked or participated....

Weaver

Lossefalme
Gondor

Nov 10 2007, 1:59am

Post #2 of 7 (695 views)
Shortcut
Excellent choice, weaver! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Okay, so I just wanted to look at him again. Is that so wrong???
Questions:

1. Comments on the changes made to this scene in the film? As you may guess from my footer, I am a big fan of Aragorn when revealed as King. I love the way this particular moment unfolds in the book and is echoed later when the remaining members of the Fellowship are reunited and smoking in Isengard and they exclaim that Strider is back. That being said, although I would have loved to have seen this in the movie, I don't really mind the changes.

2. How do you interpret that look on Aragorn's face in the screencap? Do you believe it when "this" Aragorn says, " Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old -- my kin"...? I do believe him - and I think that this is yet another moment when we "see" Aragorn's inner turmoil about the road that lies ahead. His heart yearns for Minas Tirith, but his responsibility lies with the Ring and Frodo. I think this particular shot manages to catch him when he is both the King and Strider.

3. Which do you prefer -- the public reveal of the King to Frodo, or the private reveal of the King to himself? Does one approach work better than the other, or are they each effective in their own context? I know I'm getting a bit redundant here, but I do love the reveal in the book. I think that in the context of the movie this approach worked well, though. This is the kind of question I find difficult to answer because my view is always tainted by being a book-firster and knowing the story before seeing the films. I never know how much I just naturally inferred because of the books and knowing the characters and how much a movie-firster would "get" or "miss." I don't know if that made sense, but I'm not rewriting it! Tongue
4. Are you surprised I managed to pick just one screencap? Lol! I wouldn't have minded a few more Aragorn shots, but this'll do just fine!

5. Any other thoughts or insights? I'm so glad that I finally go to add my two cents - well, maybe one - because I've been lurking for ages. Thanks for putting these together, weaver. This is one of my favorite Movie Board features.

Again, last screencap for this week -- thanks to all who lurked or participated....

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Hunt4Gollum
The Shire

Nov 10 2007, 2:39pm

Post #3 of 7 (684 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Questions:

It's a really powerful scene in the film, I think it's one of the bits where they really got the look of Middle Earth right, the Argonath statues themselves are amazing and the river, the forest are just how I'd imagined.

2. How do you interpret that look on Aragorn's face in the screencap? Do you believe it when "this" Aragorn says, " Long have I desired to look upon the kings of old -- my kin"...?

Not sure. I wasn't the biggest fan of Viggo's interpretation of Aragorn in the film. How any actor can take on that deep a character I don't know. Anyway it's ok, the line "my kin..." is enough... just.

3. Which do you prefer -- the public reveal of the King to Frodo, or the private reveal of the King to himself? Does one approach work better than the other, or are they each effective in their own context?
I much prefer the public reveal in the books. It's stuff like this that really make's Tolkien so amazing. Doing this kind of imagery on film though is very difficult to pull off effectively and there's simply no time!

cheers, that was fun!

THE HUNT FOR GOLLUM
An epic cinematic and professional Lord Of The Rings Fan Film.
www.hunt4gollum.blogspot.com

FarFromHome
Valinor

Nov 10 2007, 5:51pm

Post #4 of 7 (680 views)
Shortcut
The proud king vs. the reluctant king [In reply to] Can't Post

I always notice that Frodo is conveniently riding in the middle seat this day, right where Aragorn can tap him on the shoulder to show him the Argonath! Normally he rides in front. I like the look of the Argonath themselves, especially the closeups where you can see how worn the rock is. Although I sometimes wonder if they'd have looked even better if they'd been even more damaged and worn away.

It doesn't fit completely with movie-Aragorn, does it? He's been gradually moving towards accepting his heritage, though, especially in the conversation with Boromir in Lothlorien. And, in any case, he's deeply aware of his heritage, so I can imagine that he would desire the experience of seeing this iconic representation of his ancestors, even if he's not sure yet that his heritage isn't more of a curse than a privilege.

The book reveal doesn't work particularly well for me. Having Aragorn suddenly become "proud and erect" may be part of Tolkien's way of showing the characters from the outside rather than the inside, and I guess the artificiality is part of the effect, but this sort of "blood will out" idea (i.e. that inborn nobility can be seen by those with discerning eyes) is something that mars book-Aragorn for me. (Although, reading it carefully, it's actually one of your "seeming" moments - only Frodo appears to have this vision of Aragorn. So maybe it's a private moment even in the book.)

The movie interpretation has its own problems, but at least movie-Aragorn has to learn to become a King - he isn't just born with it in his blood. And in this screencap, we get another step on the way, as Aragorn looks with a certain detachment at something that's clearly impressive but not necessarily what he's ready to identify with.

Great self-control, weaver!

A big change between the movie and the book is that movie-Aragorn actually doesn't want to go to Minas Tirith. In the book, he's torn between his desire to go and claim his kingdom, and his duty to take Gandalf's place beside Frodo. In the movie, he intends to go all the way with Frodo, and so his decision to let Frodo go (and so "pass the test" of letting the Ring go) is his crucial moment. Once he has seen that he does have the strength to resist the lure of power, I think he gains confidence in his own ability to wield it, and that's when he really starts on his path to kingship.

Great choices, weaver! Thank you!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Nuradar
Rohan

Nov 10 2007, 7:06pm

Post #5 of 7 (683 views)
Shortcut
the King revealed (again...) [In reply to] Can't Post

Questions:

I don't mind the change at all. Frodo obviously got at least a hint of who Strider really is back in the Council of Elrond, when Legolas gives Boromir a little dose of reality by revealing Aragorn's true identity.

It's a great look, I think. Well done, Viggo. To me, he's in awe, he's inspired, and he definitely has fire in his eyes.

Because his identity has already been revealed at the Council of Elrond, I'm just fine with the private reveal. It definitely adds to Aragorn's inner conflict and gives the character more depth, I think.

Impressive will power, Weaver!

I like how PJ and Co. thought of giving the Argonath statues the look of being created by big blocks of stone. If you look closely, you can see cracks in the statues, which show that they're made of large cubes of stone. Nice touch.

Owlyross
Rohan

Nov 12 2007, 12:13pm

Post #6 of 7 (661 views)
Shortcut
"Seeming" vs reality [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's great... More subtle, less fanfare, entirely in keeping with Aragorn's characterisation. It's not reticence, it's humility, and that works for me.

Awe. And desire. Pretty good when you think how many things Tolkien was trying to show in this scene. To act that... Well, I'm reminded of the episode of Red Dwarf where Kryten is trying to master the emotion of ambivalence and screwing his his face up because he can't master two emotions at once. That's how I feel it could be if they tried to film exactly as Tolkien wrote it.

They are effective enough in their own context... Tolkien writes "seeming" extremely well... But that's what it is, "seeming" in the character whose opinion you are seeing it from's opinion. It doesn't necessarily mean the character looks like that. I like the subtle approach they go for in the movie.

Yes indeed!

Not really, but it's important to note that these "seeming moments", which work so well in the book, could have led the film to take on an otherworldly or "magical" aspects... The way it is done, gives a grittier, more realistic approach and we can believe we are watching a "history" rather than a fantasy. I for one, am glad they did it this way.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 16 2007, 2:41am

Post #7 of 7 (658 views)
Shortcut
This just in ... or out... or something [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug Adams just posted a podcast on the CR-ROTK. At end, he talked briefly about his upcoming book and the disc of rarities (music) that will be released next year at this time. At the very end, was a sneak peak at the rarities. An alternate musical cue for the Argonath.

I've snipped just this portion and put it HERE. It's a zip file.

If you want to listen to the whole podcast, go HERE.

There is some interesting discussion on how much of a 'good thing' it is when a director gets involved in the music to the extent that PJ did. And, although King Kong is brought up, there Adams rather pointedly declines to discuss it. hmm...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.