when it all gets too much....

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 19 2012, 2:33am

Post #1 of 11 (307 views)
Shortcut
when it all gets too much.... Can't Post

im having a rather bad time of late...really bad :(

but i can always rely on tolkien to help me out. it might sound a bit silly but these stories have really helped recently.

its an age old adage but you really gotta appreciAte what youve got xx

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 19 2012, 5:36am

Post #2 of 11 (186 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

you are having a bad time.
I'm glad you are finding Tolkien a help. I think there are many around here who will understand how Tolkien's stories can provide hope and comfort during difficult times in life.
Hang in there.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2012, 7:53am

Post #3 of 11 (175 views)
Shortcut
Yes, these stories really can help [In reply to] Can't Post

I've let myself get lost in LOTR when things have been difficult, too. At one time, it was just frustration, nothing like what it sounds like you're going through. The other time was more serious, but I still found comfort in Tolkien.

I get annoyed with people who criticize LOTR for being escapist. For one thing, there's much more to it than escape - there's inspiration and beauty. And for another thing, sometimes we need a little escape.

I hope things get better for you soon.

Take care!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 8:01am

Post #4 of 11 (177 views)
Shortcut
You can immerse yourself in his work, and it will bring you whatever you are looking for. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope things brighten up for you jimmyfenn. Tolkien certainly helped me out in my troubled teenage years. It took a while, but everything turned out ok in the end.

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2012, 8:18am

Post #5 of 11 (186 views)
Shortcut
I can relate. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had read The Hobbit and LOTR as a young teenager, but it was when I went through a personal crisis in my early 20s that I re-read them and found a great deal of encouragement and consolation in them (and still do). It's a story of steadfast faith and hope in the face of darkness that gives us courage to face our own dark places.

Silverlode

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 19 2012, 11:15am

Post #6 of 11 (172 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been through some really tough times the last 15 or so years & Tolkien's books & the movies have been a big help to me. I hope things are looking up for you real soon, jimmyfenn!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2012, 12:19pm

Post #7 of 11 (170 views)
Shortcut
perfectly said, perserverence and against the odds :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2012, 12:22pm

Post #8 of 11 (191 views)
Shortcut
hope you feel better soon jimmyfenn, hard times bring me to tolkien too :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually go right near the end of LOTR, to the culmination of the book and the catharsis of that climax. The sweet but sad victory. Never fails to tear me up. Or reading the Grey Havens chapter.

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Nov 19 2012, 2:49pm

Post #9 of 11 (173 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks means alot :)

for quickbeam often laughed, he laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring:

Annael
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 4:30pm

Post #10 of 11 (142 views)
Shortcut
not silly at all [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship has helped me slog through some really bad terrain more than once.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Tintallė
Gondor

Nov 19 2012, 5:35pm

Post #11 of 11 (219 views)
Shortcut
There's a lot to be gleaned from Tolkien's writing! [In reply to] Can't Post

which is a large part of why we're united on this forum, actually. Lots of life lessons. Inspirational characters. Good triumphing over evil but being battered to bits in the process. Fear and courage, doubt and mistrust, betrayal and loyalty, and perseverance throughout.

I found Tolkien long before I found my vocation as an ICU nurse. There are many reasons I absolutely love my job, but watching people fight for life against incredible obstacles is not really one of them. It does, however, virtually slap me in the face daily with the realization and appreciation of what I have - precisely as you noted. (It centers me whether I like it or not.)

Wishing you all good things and the strength to withstand the not-so-good things. . .

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.