Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What's on you bucket list?

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 18 2012, 12:09pm

Post #1 of 19 (264 views)
Shortcut
What's on you bucket list? Can't Post

Mine:

Trip to the outer banks in summer
Take a train ride across the US
Trip to England, Ireland & Scotland
Go to Paris in winter
Go to New Zealand

Obviously, I haven't traveled much. Do you have a list & what's on it?

imin
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 2:55pm

Post #2 of 19 (131 views)
Shortcut
bucket list [In reply to] Can't Post

Go into space/walk on the moon.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 3:47pm

Post #3 of 19 (151 views)
Shortcut
Two things off the top of my head [In reply to] Can't Post

See a solar eclipse.
See the Northern Lights.

I've been fortunate enough to travel quite a bit. There are always places I'd like to go and places I'd like to re-visit, but those are the two biggies.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 18 2012, 4:02pm

Post #4 of 19 (152 views)
Shortcut
To see the Arora is also on my list [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been to the Arctic three times, and the lights haven't come out for me.Frown

To travel to New Zealand would also be high up on my list.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Nov 18 2012, 4:33pm

Post #5 of 19 (157 views)
Shortcut
Regarding your list [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd get to the Outer Banks soon. They're starting to change, getting more built up but without correspondent growth in restauraunts (I sympathize with that they're seasonal, but the waits are starting to get ridiculous). The whole tone just isn't the same as it was only 10 or so years ago. Try to take a daytrip to see the Elizabethan Gardens and stay in the area for the Lost Colony outdoor play. A fascinating look at history that many are not aware of. The fate of the Roanoke colonists is one of the great mysteries of American history.

Also, just curious - why winter for Paris? The weather might be a bit crummy. Even considering a trip to Paris involves a considerable bit of time inside museums, cathedrals and churches for most visitors, it's also an incredible walking city and you'll want to spend an equal amount of time strolling outside as well. In case you're curious, my Paris Top 10 are:
10. Musee de Cluny (Museum of the Middle Ages) - A nice collection of Medieval art, including statues from Notre Dame and stained glass from Sainte-Chapelle
9. Hotel des Invalides - Whatever you think of Napoleon, his tomb is mighty impressive. There's also interesting memorabilia about the end of World War 2 here.
8. The Louvre - It's overwhelming, but stop in to at least see the three famous ladies (Mona, Venus and Nike), some of the other Italian Renaissance masterpieces besides Mona, and iconic French paintings like Liberty Leading the People and the Raft of the Medusa.
7. Sainte-Chapelle - A short walk from Notre Dame , this church where the Royal family worshiped has amazing stained glass windows. Bring binoculars.
6. Notre Dame de Paris - Just because, well, it's Notre Dame, one of the greatest Gothic cathedrals of the world. Don't miss the staircase outside going down into ruins!
5. Rodin Museum - All the major works of the greatest modern sculptor, some indoors and others in a beautiful garden setting.
4. Orsay Museum - Very interesting location (the building was formerly a Beaux-Arts train station!) and the best collection of Impressionist art I've seen. I actually preferred it to the Louvre.
3. Basilica in the suburb of St. Denis - The resting place of the French royals. The most stunning collection of mortuary effigies I've ever seen - and yes, I've also been to Westminster Abbey. A range of styles through hundreds of years. A little further out, but easy to get to by Metro.
2. Sacre-Coeur - and the surrounding area of Montmartre. When you're thinking of Paris, this is what you're thinking of.
1. Boat ride on the Seine starting near the Eiffel Tower. Try to do this first - it's a great introduction.

As for my answer to your bucket list question, it's the same as my answer to the "where would you like to travel" question posted some time back, and I suspect that will turn out being the case for many here. My answer was basically seeing the major National Parks of the United States, although there's much I would still like to see in other countries as well.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 4:53pm

Post #6 of 19 (136 views)
Shortcut
I've done a lot of it [In reply to] Can't Post

actually make my living as a writer
climbed Mt. Rainier
sang backup in a rock-and-roll band
traveled through Europe for 4 months
built my own house from the ground up
got married on a boat
earned my PhD (almost - will have it Dec. 3!)

still to come:
turn my dissertation into a book & get it published
write some other books
walk the "Way"
visit Delphi
get back to England to see Eledhwen, Ufthak, Hengist, & my other Brit friends
visit New Zealand

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 5:08pm

Post #7 of 19 (121 views)
Shortcut
re the train [In reply to] Can't Post

I did that a few years ago - flew to DC to see family, then took the train to Chicago & spent a couple of days with entmaiden, then trained back to Seattle on the Empire Builder.

But I would recommend taking the Coast Starlight between Seattle & LA instead, honestly. A much nicer train with many more amenities. Go first class to get all the perks; the cheapest sleeper option is not too pricy and very pleasant. If you go from LA north, you have breakfast while going around Mount Shasta.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2012, 5:38pm

Post #8 of 19 (138 views)
Shortcut
I took the Empire Builder from Minneapolis to Seattle [In reply to] Can't Post

back in 1980. I loved it.

I wonder if they still have a dining car with cloth tablecloths.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 18 2012, 5:48pm

Post #9 of 19 (114 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tips! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Maryland so I'm used to the crowded beaches in Maryland & Delaware. My sister is thinking about renting a place at the Outer Banks for her 60th birthday next year. I hope she does! I picked winter for Paris because I read recently that it's less crowded (I hate crowds) but cold & I actually like cold weather. I'd go there any time of year, though.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 7:06pm

Post #10 of 19 (119 views)
Shortcut
I've traveled a lot, but still have more ahead. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have 161 cities on my map at TripAdvisor. I've been to many parts of the US, including Alaska (I live in Hawaii), as well as a number of trips to western Europe. In 2011 I went to Australia & NZ (briefly) and took a cruise to the Ross Sea area of Antarctica. I climbed Mt. Whitney in 2000, and hiked across England along Hadrian's Wall in 2002.

Right now I'm planning a 25-day trip to NZ in Jan. 2013. I want to take a cruise to see the total eclipse in Sept. 2013. I want to take a trip to Munich, Prague, Salzburg, and Vienna. I want to cruise in the Baltic, ending up in St. Petersburg. I'd like to go to Iceland and Greenland. I'd like to see more parts of Australia. I'm sure when I've done all that there will be more!

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 7:09pm

Post #11 of 19 (134 views)
Shortcut
Funny how we all end up in New Zealand! [In reply to] Can't Post

Having been there and to Australia twice, all I can say is, Down Under should be on everyone's bucket list.

I'm very partial to Scotland, too, and have been there numerous times.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 9:10pm

Post #12 of 19 (119 views)
Shortcut
I would like to take my love to Wales, to Bangor perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

anywhere in Wales really.

As well, I must get to Scotland. I just love the look of the countryside there, traditional highland crofts, wool sweaters... sigh.

Poland, Turkey, Israel, Greece, Finland, Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan, Italy, France, Spain, Argentina... all the usual places. One day I want to take a river trip in the Canadian Arctic.

As for actual activities, I think sailing in the Caribbean, the coastal waters around South America, or from Portugal down through the Straits of Gibraltar along the North Coast of Africa, up to Cypress, then follow the Southern Coast of Europe, lingering at the South of France. I guess that's more travelling... hmmm.

It's hard to think of any activity that doesn't involve travel. For instance I would love to follow the World Cup Skiing circuit one year, going from epic mountain to epic mountain, dashing through the snow and such.

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2012, 10:18am

Post #13 of 19 (94 views)
Shortcut
Bangor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Any particular reason?

" So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 19 2012, 11:27am

Post #14 of 19 (77 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

Scottish in my genes (Beall clan) & really think I would love it there. I love cold weather & have always wanted to live in a castle.

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 19 2012, 5:13pm

Post #15 of 19 (74 views)
Shortcut
.....I need a bucket.\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 19 2012, 5:52pm

Post #16 of 19 (70 views)
Shortcut
Is there a hole in yours? // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 12:40am

Post #17 of 19 (67 views)
Shortcut
Only in the top [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
I need a bucket for fast bailing a boat. Big storms wash out the plastic tupperware thingees. Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 20 2012, 12:57am

Post #18 of 19 (89 views)
Shortcut
well, I'm glad you don't have to mend one [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBHdZj-qkeQ

;-)

If you need a bucket, this guy had one...

but someone stole it.

http://www.ihasabucket.com/...es/walrus_bucket.jpg

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 20 2012, 1:01am)

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 3:56am

Post #19 of 19 (127 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds familiar, nothing come easyLaugh My wife just heard it and said she used to sing that in elementary school.

As per the other one, someone stole it all right. It's now got a big FORBIDDEN sign on it already. Unimpressed

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.