Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Extremely loud cinemas
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 11:21am

Post #1 of 31 (284 views)
Shortcut
Extremely loud cinemas Can't Post

I was at a RealD 3D screening of Silent Hill Revelation last night and couldn't bear the loudness of the movie. While other non horror movies are not that loud, all of them still have some scenes that always make me want to cover my ears. I know that cinemas are supposed to be quite loud, but this is just ridiculous.I complained to the cinema about this and I am still waiting for a response. I mean it doesn't cost them anything to turn the volume down. They should really have a poll about this and see how many people have a problem with this too. I hope The Hobbit won't be like this. Is it like this in other cinemas throughout the world?

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

demnation
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 11:32am

Post #2 of 31 (191 views)
Shortcut
Funny [In reply to] Can't Post

My local theater has the opposite problem.Laugh

Use Well the Days

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 18 2012, 12:16pm

Post #3 of 31 (209 views)
Shortcut
I hate loud noises [In reply to] Can't Post

Im alway turning the volume down on the TV and radio. My poor sensitive ears.Wink

I have to adjust to the volume in cinemas as well. After a few minutes it doesn't bother me too much.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

imin
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 2:54pm

Post #4 of 31 (164 views)
Shortcut
I love the loudness of the cinema! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want a wall of noise coming out at me, totally enveloping me into the cinematic experience.

I dont think i have ever been to a screening where it was too loud but i havent been to any that were too quite either so maybe its just the cinema you go to use a better/louder sound system?

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 3:04pm

Post #5 of 31 (160 views)
Shortcut
Louder does not in any way mean better. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 3:43pm

Post #6 of 31 (159 views)
Shortcut
I have a problem with this, too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they turn up the volume so loud these days because a lot of people will sit there talking back and forth, as if they're watching in their own living rooms, or they're playing with their phones during the film.

I carry ear plugs, ones designed to be used on a shooting range, and install them before the film begins. And I hear everything just fine!

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 18 2012, 5:01pm

Post #7 of 31 (168 views)
Shortcut
either that or [In reply to] Can't Post

you've been exposed to so much sound already that you've started to go a bit deaf? It's become a huge problem for people who play their iPods too loud or go clubbing a lot and don't use hearing protection.

I actually bring earplugs to the big multiplexes. With them in I can hear just fine but am not brutalized. Fortunately my local theaters keep the sound at a reasonable level.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 18 2012, 5:35pm

Post #8 of 31 (154 views)
Shortcut
As someone who suffers for partial hearing loss [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very protective of my eardrums. I have thought about bringing ear plugs but I have resorted to plugging my ears during really loud movies.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 18 2012, 5:54pm

Post #9 of 31 (165 views)
Shortcut
My husband [In reply to] Can't Post

damaged his hearing by listening to loud music. He would play it when I wasn't home & if I came home I'd have to immediately turn it down because it was painfully loud.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 6:53pm

Post #10 of 31 (141 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is a problem here too. [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a study a few years ago in the U.S. I heard on the Public Broadcasting station that 60 percent of the entering College Freshman they studied had a hearing loss due to loud music. What's been happening is that with the advent of amplifiers, it's expected now that music should be very loud and peole get used to it. Hwever their hearing isslowly being damaged, and as it is pain free and usually gradual, no one is notcing.

Not all movie theaters have it turned up too loud, though, and it does depend on the type of movie as well.

i think it's right to complain, for the sake of the public in general, and especially small children whose ears may be affected. But it's not a popular position to take, and you may not get a response.

Earplugs work really, really well as others here mentioned. You can still hear everything, or just take them in and out if it gets really very soft and then loud again. I wouldn't be afraid to use them at the movies, and just see if it works for you.Smile

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Nov 18 2012, 7:38pm

Post #11 of 31 (180 views)
Shortcut
Loudness=excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially in a full IMAX theater where it's so loud it rumbles your guts. Of course you don't want distortion in your sound, but if it's loud and clear, it's all good!

I hate quiet theaters, leave that to the old people who don't like "racket".

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 18 2012, 7:45pm

Post #12 of 31 (135 views)
Shortcut
I'm not old, and I don't like racket. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

I just don't like the feeling of loud noises. I don't want my ears to bleed.Wink

You can still enjoy music (or whatever) at "normal" volume levels. Of course, it has to be louder in the cinema, but it doesn't have to be ear drum bursting.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 18 2012, 7:49pm

Post #13 of 31 (142 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 8:09pm

Post #14 of 31 (120 views)
Shortcut
This. And, loud noise can make me go all Hulk smash. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Misto
Lorien

Nov 18 2012, 8:12pm

Post #15 of 31 (156 views)
Shortcut
There's a rather simple solution to this problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually the sound needs to be set (or at least can be set) manually. So if a movie truly is unbearably loud you could just slip out for a moment, find somebody of the cinema staff and you should be taken care of in a few moments. Wink

imin
Valinor

Nov 19 2012, 12:51am

Post #16 of 31 (106 views)
Shortcut
i could have i guess [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont go clubbing or listen to music with headphones/earbuds but i guess i could.

I think for me i just dont find it too loud, if anything i like it loud. Its not painfully loud, its just good loud to me. My mum has tinnitus so i am careful with my hearing but it is possible mine is going i guess - kinda shocked if it is already at my age, only turned 25 last week!

imin
Valinor

Nov 19 2012, 12:53am

Post #17 of 31 (127 views)
Shortcut
In your opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

For me if it is loud then it is better than at a level i would have my own tv on. I dont want it so loud it hurts though, if this is how loud it is to you, then yeah that is horrible, for me i have never had that experience.

For me blaring sound and a massive screen are all part of the cinema experience and help me fall into that world. I cant wait to hear Shore's score in the cinema Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 19 2012, 5:46am

Post #18 of 31 (128 views)
Shortcut
I like loud but I have another problem [In reply to] Can't Post

When it is super loud and very rumbly (which I like) the metal staple in my wrist vibrates in a most horrid way. Crazy
Inception and Avatar were the worst offenders for staple activity.

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Nov 19 2012, 1:39pm

Post #19 of 31 (111 views)
Shortcut
I have seen a number of movies and documentaries in IMAX [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is known for being quite loud. But I never had a problem with the sound, except rarely at some scenes. But when I saw Silent Hill most of the movie was unbearable to watch because of the sound. What, someone thinks that because it's a horror that it has to be loud? I swear something is wrong with the cinema staff these days. In their heads that is.

imin
Valinor

Nov 19 2012, 10:34pm

Post #20 of 31 (106 views)
Shortcut
I havent seen silent hill 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Though i was meaning to as i quite liked the first but i got told by some friends it wasnt very good so i decided not to bother as i dont have much cash atm. So to know it was also super loud, sorry it was for you, but it has given me another reason not to go see it, lol.

I will probably just stream it online so i can adjust the volume to how i want, lol.

As for IMAX being louder - im unsure why but i think they do set it louder

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 12:14am

Post #21 of 31 (94 views)
Shortcut
We always take kleenex with us to the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

to put in our ears. We just have to remember to take them out when we leave, so we don't look too silly :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Nov 20 2012, 12:16am)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 20 2012, 1:17am

Post #22 of 31 (84 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Kleenex is great. [In reply to] Can't Post

And if you get it slighlty wet in the drinking fountain, although a bit gross, it blocks sound almost as well as the slilocon/wax ones.Smile

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Nov 20 2012, 1:21am

Post #23 of 31 (95 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! That must feel awful. It reminds me [In reply to] Can't Post

of some people from my music camp long ago--when they hiked to the top of Longs Peak, a thunder storm was brewing, electricity was starting to build up, hair beginning to stand on end and--what made me think of this with your metal staple--the kids' braces started buzzing! They said they made it off Longs in 15 minutes, and I almost believe them.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 20 2012, 5:15am

Post #24 of 31 (95 views)
Shortcut
Buzzing braces! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that is very weird. Laugh

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2012, 6:53am

Post #25 of 31 (78 views)
Shortcut
Yes, very weird.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and has reminded me of the Gilligan's Island episode where Gilligan's dental fillings were picking up radio signals. Laugh

Silverlode

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.