Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Goblintown is going to be amazing
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 8:56pm

Post #1 of 34 (1726 views)
Shortcut
Goblintown is going to be amazing Can't Post

I noticed that there doesn't seem to be too much excitement about the Goblintown sequence. However, both the harrowingly perfect music for this sequence (both "Under Hill" and "Brass Buttons") and the visuals of the goblins we have seen thus far, lead me to believe that this will be both a very frightening and interesting part of the film. With the Moria goblins, for example, we only saw some orcs who were passing through an empty hall. This time, we are going to see a number of goblins up close as they capture and interrogate the dwarves, and we will be taken to the very heart of their little petty kingdom. The brief shot of the throne room we have seen so far is rich with detail, including haphazard wooden structures, stolen riches, and all sorts of goblin culture goodness.

And just listen to those horns blaring in the "Under Hill" trick. This is going to be great.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 9:12pm

Post #2 of 34 (832 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

i agree about the goblin designs and the spectacularity potential that there is in the book and script for the movie...as to the soundtrack, i admit i heard about 3 seconds from brass buttons...i was surprised and a little scared honestly..what on earth were those voices?? Goblins singing?

It felt very promising.

Also, lets not forget Goblin Town and the dark tunnels of the misty mountains are are somewhat horrific...im sure that angle will be played up by the once horror enthusiast, peter jackson.

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Nov 17 2012, 9:13pm)

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Nov 17 2012, 9:16pm

Post #3 of 34 (909 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone here seen John Howe's concept art for Goblintown? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's pretty amazing!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo2_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo4_1280.jpg

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 9:20pm

Post #4 of 34 (810 views)
Shortcut
those were from [In reply to] Can't Post

that 150 pics page that was online a few days ago arent they?

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Nov 17 2012, 9:25pm

Post #5 of 34 (765 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was told they were featured in the visual guide. Here's a few more concept art pieces from the movie (nothing terribly spoilery, all artwork for scenes we've already seen, but very cool nevertheless):

http://24.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo3_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo6_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo7_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo8_1280.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/...lj1qdbhwwo9_1280.jpg

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 9:28pm

Post #6 of 34 (802 views)
Shortcut
I think I'm less excited about Goblin Town [In reply to] Can't Post

Is because I still think the film should be ending at Mirkwood!Evil

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 9:28pm

Post #7 of 34 (734 views)
Shortcut
i love these [In reply to] Can't Post

but when i visite dthe page, it was down. Thank you for presenting us with these!

Lucky Luke
Bree

Nov 17 2012, 9:41pm

Post #8 of 34 (776 views)
Shortcut
Bridge scene (literally!) [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of wood and rope bridges in the mines. And it seems that the dwarves crash with one of them - Indiana Jones Temple of Doom style - while fighting the Great Goblin. In the scene where he falls on top of them, it looks like the dwarves are stuck between multiple layers of a wooden bridge. This collapsing would also explain the fall of the Great Goblin. I would not be surprised that this scene will mirror the crashing of the stairs of Moria.

(This post was edited by Lucky Luke on Nov 17 2012, 9:46pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 17 2012, 9:45pm

Post #9 of 34 (769 views)
Shortcut
Bomby is Convinced GoblinTown is the PeakAction [In reply to] Can't Post

Followed Closely then..by Riddles?
Then ..Eagle Rescue...

The audience will.be Drained
worn out
like a wet
leaf...

xoxoxox...Bomby&(Goldberry)

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Nov 17 2012, 9:57pm

Post #10 of 34 (712 views)
Shortcut
pace [In reply to] Can't Post

After listening to the score and what that means for scenes I think there are only going to be a few brief rests in the story. I think it will move at a much faster clip than Fellowship.

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 10:00pm

Post #11 of 34 (699 views)
Shortcut
I hope not [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship moved along far too quickly, IMO.

Also, I think even though the pacing will be brisk, there is less complexity to cover than there was in FOTR. So it should feel far less dumbed down than FOTR was.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:08pm

Post #12 of 34 (710 views)
Shortcut
IMO Fellowship felt "cinematic" [In reply to] Can't Post

A literary pace when transposed to cinema can totally undermine a film, especially a plot-heavy epic or adventure. Unless one's making a character study or intimate drama where there's no to little narrative, aping the pacing of a book generally is counter-productive toward producing the best possible work for screen, where the plot needs to constantly surge forward as was the case in the theatrical cuts for LotR.

My fear is that a less brisk pace with less complexity will result in way too much Dwarf humor and the characters generally lounging about burping (on which I know we're in agreement on not wanting). Wink

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:19pm

Post #13 of 34 (674 views)
Shortcut
It does look Temple of Doomish [In reply to] Can't Post

So would not be surprised to see some slightly similar visuals unfold...however, it's been confirmed that Gandy kills the Goblin King, and he can be seen lying dead on the lower right of frame in the shot of Kili charging at Grinnah the Goblin in the latest TV spot, the vacant throne behind him.

Additionally, according to the official movie guide, Gandy and the Dwarves escape via the plumbing under the Goblin King's potty/throne...so no idea how the dead GK ends up on top of them. Perhaps he's not quite dead yet, flops into the pipe on top of them, and lands on Orcrist? Tongue

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 10:21pm

Post #14 of 34 (666 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't say they escape through the plumbing ... Does it? ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember making that joke. I hope it's not *actually* true!Crazy

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Nov 17 2012, 10:22pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 10:22pm

Post #15 of 34 (643 views)
Shortcut
Disagreed {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:23pm

Post #16 of 34 (640 views)
Shortcut
You didn't let on you were joking! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great! Now I've gone amok telling people the Dwarves are flushed down the Goblin potty! Laugh

What's unfortunate is that doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for PJ in the slightest. Tongue

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Nov 17 2012, 10:26pm

Post #17 of 34 (618 views)
Shortcut
maybe not [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I am reading the score wrong but it sounded faster paced then Fellowship and of course there have been at least a few articles alluding to a rip-tearing pace.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 10:27pm

Post #18 of 34 (634 views)
Shortcut
Don't think I read that either...say it isn't so!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Additionally, according to the official movie guide, Gandy and the Dwarves escape via the plumbing under the Goblin King's potty/throne...so no idea how the dead GK ends up on top of them. Perhaps he's not quite dead yet, flops into the pipe on top of them, and lands on Orcrist? Tongue

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:29pm

Post #19 of 34 (619 views)
Shortcut
It isn't so! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Daniel, now see what you've gone and made me do. Yes, I've chosen to blame you! EvilAngelicBlushCool

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:30pm

Post #20 of 34 (611 views)
Shortcut
Can't remember reading that in the guide [In reply to] Can't Post

Though regarding him in the latest TV spot: his arm is moving, so me might not be completely dead. Maybe Gandalf pushed him down from his throne or something Smile

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 17 2012, 10:31pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 10:30pm

Post #21 of 34 (606 views)
Shortcut
Whoops! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry.Tongue

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 10:31pm

Post #22 of 34 (620 views)
Shortcut
I take full responsibility! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, I just need PJ to read the thread and edit the scene.Wink

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 10:35pm

Post #23 of 34 (602 views)
Shortcut
We should start a petition! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually read the Movie Guide, but for some reason thought I'd skipped over (or blocked) mention of Dwarf-flushing, so I'll take...7.3347% responsibility. Multiplied by 10. CoolTongue

It's actually too bad we've missed out on "Nobody flushes multiple dwarves!" line.

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Nov 17 2012, 10:36pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 18 2012, 12:45am

Post #24 of 34 (533 views)
Shortcut
Very like Howe's artwork for Shelob's Lair [In reply to] Can't Post

The stone has the appearance of being corroded away by the evil inhabiting the place. I love it! Smile Really looking forward to this scene

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 18 2012, 1:15am

Post #25 of 34 (545 views)
Shortcut
I agree, except for [In reply to] Can't Post

The Great Goblin's throne. Crazy

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.