Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Any hints of the official AUJ poster yet?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 8:54pm

Post #1 of 42 (964 views)
Shortcut
Any hints of the official AUJ poster yet? Can't Post

Hey guys I just noticed the news about this great teaser of the "An Unexpected Journey"-print by Jerry Vanderstelt on his facebook page with Gandalf and Radagast on it (also on TORn). I really, really like his style and his prints for Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and I am really looking forward to see the complete piece of art some day. And I just asked myself...

Is there somewhere already a hint what the official poster will look like?
And: What/Who would you like to see on the official poster of "An Unexpected Journey"?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 17 2012, 8:56pm)

Shelob'sAppetite
Valinor

Nov 17 2012, 8:57pm

Post #2 of 42 (512 views)
Shortcut
I like the current poster [In reply to] Can't Post

With Freeman and Sting. Is it not official?

Not a fan of the floating head thingies, so hope we get something different than that.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:03pm

Post #3 of 42 (450 views)
Shortcut
That's the one my local cinema franchise is using! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it today in the foyer, along with the one of the Dwarves heads when I went to book my tickets (- got the Preciouses at last!!)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 17 2012, 9:03pm)

jtarkey
Rohan

Nov 17 2012, 9:06pm

Post #4 of 42 (431 views)
Shortcut
I'm really hoping for a poster that fits with the LOTR posters [In reply to] Can't Post

We've gotten some good ones so far, but there still needs to be that one that looks like it belongs with the other LOTR posters.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:08pm

Post #5 of 42 (441 views)
Shortcut
I really liked the LOTR posters a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think that it is just a teaser poster, like the ones with Aragorn (ROTK) and Frodo (FOTR) were. They're all similar aren't they? Just look at the skies in the background... it's the same system behind it isn't it? So we can be pretty sure that there will be another poster more like the official posters/covers of LOTR.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 17 2012, 9:11pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:12pm

Post #6 of 42 (396 views)
Shortcut
aren't the posters already released official [In reply to] Can't Post

I just picked up the bilbo at bag end one at HMV today Smile

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:16pm

Post #7 of 42 (423 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but I am looking for THE poster of AUJ like... [In reply to] Can't Post

these ones:

"The Fellowship of the Ring" featuring the whole Fellowship, their friends Arwen and Galadriel and their enemies: the Nine.

"The Two Towers" featuring the Two Towers, three hunters, Gandalf, Arwen, Frodo and Sam and their enemies: Saruman and Gollum

"The Return of the King" featuring the returning King Aragorn, Arwen, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam and their enemies: Gollum and Sauron with Barad-dr

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 17 2012, 9:21pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 17 2012, 9:16pm

Post #8 of 42 (414 views)
Shortcut
There will probably be a final official poster with the upcoming trailer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:21pm

Post #9 of 42 (432 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough, I was in HMV today... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and they had 3 different Hobbit posters for sale (you know, rollled up and standing in a cardboard tub). One I'm pretty sure was the Bilbo with Sting, and can't tell what the 3rd was though it must have been one I'd seen before, but the middle one caught my eye because it was a new one in the style of the LotR posters, with sepia tones and all the characters stacked up towards the right hand half of the poster. Didn't like it particularly because it was too crowded with so many characters (13 Dwarves, Bilbo & Gandalf at least!) I wasn't sure if it could be official as I hadn't seen it on the internet yet. Just had a quick Google and still can't see it.

So keep your eyes open when shopping!! Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:22pm

Post #10 of 42 (383 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that's the format similar to what I saw today // [In reply to] Can't Post

Victoria Monfort

starlesswinter
Lorien

Post #11 of 42 (402 views)
Shortcut
The floating heads idea is a bit overdone [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish Alan Lee or John Howe could come up with something a bit more artistic for these posters. The photoshopped heads collage is done for almost every blockbuster these days, though I admit that the FOTR one is much classier than usual. The other two aren't as aesthetically pleasing.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Post #12 of 42 (389 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and sting? [In reply to] Can't Post

dam I missed that one

I saw a big door poster and the bilbo bag end one. And a lot of posters for something called one direction

-Irfon

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:26pm

Post #13 of 42 (409 views)
Shortcut
I might be wwrong about Bilbo and Sting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just know that the only one that caught my eye was the "LotR" style one 'cause I had seen the other two and this was new - and I remembered people talking about whether we would get posters in that same style or not.

I don't remember a door one, so it sounds like your store has a different selection!

ETA: just checked with the 'old man' and he says it was Bilbo & Sting and the other was the one of Bilbo walking out the open door of Bag End that they are using on the new book covers.

AND he says the LotR is exclusive to HMV until the end of December!!!

Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 17 2012, 9:31pm)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:27pm

Post #14 of 42 (376 views)
Shortcut
My personal wish would be... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Bilbo in the middle (because it is called "The HOBBIT", the dwarves on their way (because it's called "An Unexpected JOURNEY"), Gandalf and Thorin next to Bilbo with more prominent pictures than the other dwarves, perhaps Radagast in the background (and maybe Galadriel as the so called "quota woman"). And perhaps a hint of their enemies (Warg-riders, Goblins, three trolls or Gollum)... and who knows... eagles in the sky or Erebor in the far background?

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 17 2012, 9:29pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:27pm

Post #15 of 42 (368 views)
Shortcut
Probably [In reply to] Can't Post

Still, I really like the biblo walking out of his door. Really teases you Smile

But then again, I just saw the bilbo in bag end one and got it, didn't think to see if there was others, I assumed they'd group them together

-Irfon

(This post was edited by Welsh hero on Nov 17 2012, 9:29pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 9:30pm

Post #16 of 42 (367 views)
Shortcut
I will check out my local HMV [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wanting one for ages! It's not Christmas without a LOTR/TH poster on display!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:32pm

Post #17 of 42 (362 views)
Shortcut
Just edited my post with new info! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Victoria Monfort

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:33pm

Post #18 of 42 (361 views)
Shortcut
was it this one? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=203407

-Irfon

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 17 2012, 9:35pm

Post #19 of 42 (351 views)
Shortcut
I love how these fit together so well. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:36pm

Post #20 of 42 (344 views)
Shortcut
No, [In reply to] Can't Post

it was definitely in yellowy/green/sepia tones with all the figures grouped more down one side. I said to my husband it just looked too crowded because there are too many main characters!

Victoria Monfort

DanielLB
Immortal

Post #21 of 42 (374 views)
Shortcut
So, there's an exclusive LOTR-style poster at HMV? / [In reply to] Can't Post

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Post #22 of 42 (363 views)
Shortcut
The distributing studio for "Pan's Labyrinth"... [In reply to] Can't Post

...didn't want to use Drew Struzan's poster for it because "it looked too much like art".

I suspect there may be similarly silly reasoning involved in not having Alan and John paint the posters.

Would sure be awesome though!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Nov 17 2012, 9:38pm

Post #23 of 42 (349 views)
Shortcut
According to what my husband read on the stand somewhere! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too busy moaning about the design to notice!! Wink

Victoria Monfort

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:40pm

Post #24 of 42 (341 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

But only when I put them together I really noticed how similar they are and how perfect they fit together. It seems to me like PJ and his team wanted to talk through this Bilbo poster to us: "We're still the same team guys. It's the same world. The same crew! The ones we all love so much"

OLD BUT NEW!

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Nov 17 2012, 9:40pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Nov 17 2012, 9:41pm

Post #25 of 42 (335 views)
Shortcut
one of these? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hobbitshop.com/category/code/hobshophomepost_hobshop.do?ref=FBHOBGO

-Irfon

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.